SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kathsgrdn

Supplies needed for new cat?

Kathsgrdn
12 years ago

We are getting a cat, for the first time in my life I will have a cat living in my house. I've been around them and even "baby" sat a couple of them for a friend once a long time ago.

I have had friends who've had cats that never used a litter box, they just took them outside to use the bathroom, like a dog. But, I'm going to get one so that the cat has a place to go on days the kids aren't here to let him out and I am at work. Besides that, the litter stuff, a scooper, food dishes and food, what do I need to get? I've been told that cats "know" that they go in the litter box, that you don't have to teach them...is this true-lol.

Also, how often do they get vaccinated? Is it once a year like dogs?

I'm thinking of taking Emily with us to pick up the new cat...make sure she's not going to attack him. Luther, our old lab/German Shepherd mix hated cats. There would've been no way we could have had a cat with him around. We're also going to pick up our foster dog, so I guess we need to make sure they all don't hate each other.

Any advice about the cat? I know next to nothing about them, other than what little my friends have told me and what I've read here.

Comments (37)

• Chi
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Well, I wouldn't let the cat outside for one. Way too many bad things can happen to cats that go outside, from being hit by a car to picking up diseases or getting in fights with other animals. And if you've never had a cat, you should know that they can climb a fence and be gone in about 3 seconds flat. You can't really plan on taking them in and out unless it's a trained cat, I suppose. Cats do NOT listen, lol.

Most cats instinctively use the litter so I doubt you'll have a problem there. Food, water, litter...that's all you need. Some little toys might be fun. Cats like those fishing pole type toys a lot.

And honestly unless it's the most calm cat in existence, it's not going to react well to two new dogs at once. You probably won't have a good idea until a good month into it once everyone has calmed down.

Introducing two new pets at the same time will be challenging. Do you have a backup plan in case the cat doesn't work out?

• sheilajoyce_gw
    12 years ago

If this is a kitten, you may have to put it on the litter in the box on a regular basis for a couple of days.

They like snug places to curl up and love to look out windows. Be careful. Do not give them saucers of milk--causes problems. If you want to our vet said you can give them a little cottage cheese stirred into their food.

They love to play in a paper sack that lies open on its side on the floor. Also may like to sleep in there. They also love official ping pong balls on hard floors to chase after. Nothing like them.

• Related Discussions

Cat needing a new home

Q

Comments (2)
    Hi Averil, sorry to hear of the incident, bet the cat is now in the dog-house eh? Trust your seedlings will be OK. I managed to oik one of my bigger babies clean out of the pot the other day when moving the tray of seedlings into a sunnier spot. I was really cross with myself, so I can imagine your horror on having several uprooted....I'm sure they will recover. Gill from the UK.
    ...See More

New cat - we have a new cat!

Q

Comments (28)
    Hoovb, your pal is precious ! Each pet-pal has a way to endear themselves to us, and enter our heart... maybe it's a bird or a gerbil or a 'coon, I was in the pet-food store the other day and a guy came in with a possum riding on his shoulder, she had a harness and leash on and was just adorable, he found her as a baby and raised her and she lives with him, uses a litter-box and eats cat-food... her fur was soft like a kitten, they are almost blind but have extra senses like smell and hearing, etc., and she loved being petted...... so there you go, we all have our weaknesses..... and wouldn't give them up because they sustain us in our times of need...............sally
    ...See More

Calling cat owners - need advice about my new kitty

Q

Comments (28)
    You are all wonderful - thank you for your responses! This forum always amazes me. Bestyears - thanks for pointing out the hand feeding. I will do that for sure. I think one kitty is good for us with the dog but maybe once he passes, another kitty might be in order. I can see how people adopt mucltiple cats. They are so much easier than dogs. (But I adore my dog) :) Busybee - I did not know that about the purring. I hope she wasn't purring at the shelter because she was stressed although I am sure it is possible. She purrs when she eats and plays so I think that's a happy purr. Aunjen - how kind of you to adopt feral cats! I would want to love on them too. I agree that no matter her disposition, we will love her and it will be a rewarding relationship. Thank you. teacats - I will use all of your suggestions. Chijim - She is doing a lot better with my husband - I think it is going to be fine. I have had him feed her. He has taught her to drink water from the faucet. So, they're bonding. My 16 year old son is the next one who needs to feed her. Kiki - really good information - I am going to get her some treats today and start with the rewards immediately! It makes sense about the hands. She does let me pet her - when she's in the mood. I am really gentle with her and try to avoid sudden movements. I also pick her up when she lets me hoping that she will get used to it. I put her down right away once I sense she's had enough. HIIWTHI - more reassurance - thank you and thank you for the kind words. I'm glad I did too even if the adjustment takes a bit longer. There were beautiful cats at the shelter that had been there for 2 years. That would really be a tough adjustment! Thank you again. You have helped so much! Dawn
    ...See More

New Cat- Need Your Opinion

Q

Comments (21)
    We have 3 cats as well.....all introduced at various times. It was bizarre......the first time Smudge and Bud met (both boys) they acted like long-lost brothers. Took to each other instantly. Roxie came as a kitten and she is fiesty. They all get along, but she growls at them......they don't growl at her. She's not a morning person, she growls and swats at them every morning. After that she's fine. Keeping them in separate rooms is a great idea. Put a towel, blanket, etc in with the new cat. After a few days put something of your other cats in with him, and put the towel out with the other cats. They'll get used to each other's scent. Dogs are so much easier. Getting a new dog and taking him to the dog park with your dog and let them run around and play with each other. They'll become friends and then bring the new dog home!
    ...See More
  • heather_on
    12 years ago

You will have to watch your Christmas ornaments this year....no tinsel, glass ornaments. Watch your yarn and make sure the kitten doesn't eat strands of it that can get caught in the tummy. Also hide elastic bands.

• Kathsgrdn
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Heather, haven't used tinsel in years.

• Chi
    12 years ago

Dental floss too. Cats can play with it and end up eating it and it can be life threatening.

• vala55
    12 years ago

Find out what his diet is and keep him on it. If you want to change the diet do it gradually over a week. If the smell bothers you put litter box in the garage and put in a cat door to the garage. I had a problem with the smell. My cat loved the plastic balls with a bell inside. She also liked the low condo set in front of the picture window. I put a small bed on the top and she loved looking outside at the birds at the feeder and often slept there.

• lydia1959
    12 years ago

I would suggest buying or borrowing a small animal carrier to bring the cat home in and to use when the cat goes to the vet. You may also need a towel to wrap the cat in to get it in the carrier. Cats do not travel like dogs do.

I would never let the cat outdoors unless the cat will wear a halter and let you put him/her on a leash.

You will also want to get a cat scratcher post if the cat has claws. Cats also love treats, mine prefer the crunchy ones.

Hope the dogs and the cat get along.

• Toni S
    12 years ago

Use fresh step kitty litter and a scoop = Last longer, clumps well, smells better, easy to scoop out. A huge box is usually better priced than buying a smaller bag too. Check though. Also don't put it down the toilet. If your more of a naturalist there is Feline Pine. Not the best for odor, ok for absorption. Some cats don't care for it.

I need to get some for the garden shed this winter. Our cats live in there when it's really cold, so does the litter box. During good weather they all potty outside.

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    12 years ago

Kath I think soon you might wonder why you didn't get a cat a long time ago. They can be so much fun just to watch. And I'm with chi about introducing 2 dogs and a cat. You would probably have a traumatized kitty.

Your dog Emily might very well want to attack the cat but that doesn't mean they can't become good friends. It's just wise to make slow introduction, especially as you are going to have a very nervous kitty.

Wow, "traumatized kitty".. "nervous kitty". I better stop. LOL

But really, the foster dog is going to be nervous, too. :)

• Kathsgrdn
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for all the advice. The cat is not a kitten, at least not a little bitty one. I don't even know if he's a he...I held him but didn't check-lol. One of Lauren's guy friends named him some odd Oriental name I can't remember right now.

I'm making a list.

The foster dog, he's a cutie, part Golden Retriever and I think Chow, from his wrinkled brow looks and stocky build. He's so cute and has a permanent frown because of the loose skin at his brow. They named him Chico. I hope he potty trains quickly.

I can't find a picture of the cat, but he/she looks like one of them on their website but has a different name. It's eyes are the same color as the markings on him/her. A brownish-green color, but it's mostly white.

Here is a link that might be useful: Chico

• petaloid
    12 years ago

Is there a way to keep the cat and dogs separate, at least for awhile? I worry about safety issues for the cat.

• Kathsgrdn
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Lauren sent me a picture of the cat. It's a she. Isn't she beautiful? You can't really tell by this picture but her eyes are the same color as the markings on her.

• Kathsgrdn
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Petaloid, the litter box is going to be in Lauren's bedroom so we could keep her bedroom door closed for a while.

Should I get a litter box with a top on it? Or open one?

• Kathsgrdn
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Her name is Bushido, which according to Lauren's friend means Ninja code, but according to Google translate it means Samurai code of chivalry. She does look like a Bushido. LOL!

• lattefairy
    12 years ago

Make sure to keep the cat toys away from the dog. Since cat toys are so small, your dog could be accidentally swallow them. Congratulations on your new baby! She's beautiful! :)

• FlamingO in AR
    12 years ago

Dogs have a horrible habit of wanting to eat the solids out of a litter box, so you'll probably need a baby gate to keep the dogs out of her room. You can cut a hole in the plastic mesh for the cat to walk thru. I like covered litter boxes, but not all cats do. And it's imperative to keep that litter box clean and scooped, cats are very fastidious and picky about that. Someone needs to scoop that box at least twice a day, more is better. Don't give the cat any reason to potty elsewhere.

For the first several days, though, I would keep her confined to one small room. I would use a bathroom, because there is no carpet in there and she can get used to her new surroundings a little at a time.

Get a covered waste basket to hold the scooped out litter, too, one that is airtight. :)

Since you live in a neighborhood, I wouldn't let her out at all, traffic is a killer. So are neighborhood dogs. She's a beauty, looks a lot like my Murphy. :)

• lynn_d
    12 years ago

Hi Kathleen! That is good news, glad that you are expanding your horizons into the cat kingdom!

I have both covered and uncovered boxes, the covered ones really do help keeping the litter in the box. Also put a throw rug under it. And get yourself a litter scooper, I like the metal ones, they are more expensive but they scrape the bottom of the box much better and last a lifetime. Are you using the scoopable litter? That is all we have used for the past 15 years or so.

Watch for ribbons on gifts too, ours will chew them right off the gift. Count me among those encouraging you to keep the cat inside, bad things happen to cats outside. Trust me on this.

• suzieque
    12 years ago

Congratulations! I normally find that people that say they don't like cats have never had one. I'm not suggesting that you said you don't like them, just that, now that you're about to have one, I suspect you'll never be without one (or three!) again.

I agree with what many have said here already. First, I'd strongly advise against getting both animals at the same time. They're going to be very stressed with the changes in their lives, and they've probably already had lots of changes recently. And meeting one new dog will be stressful, not to mention another new dog or a cat. At least a month.

And please reconsider letting the cat out. I've read that statistics are that cats that are allowed outside live an average of 3 years. Yes - cars, wild animals, fights, hunters mistaking them for whatever they're hunting, all kinds of horrid, painful things can happen. Do you let your dogs out loose? I've no idea of the environment you live in, but whether city or rural, there are dangers.

And a litter box in a bedroom? Heck, I've had cats all my life and have multiple now, but there's no way I'd have a box in my bedroom. Between the noise and the odor after a midnight visit just isn't Ok. Also, many, many cats hate covered litterboxes and will eliminate someplace else. I had one once and it didn't work out well. One cat would sit next to it and just cry. Poor thing. Can you imagine going to the bathroom with a cover all around you, and also kicking up and breathing litter dust?

I'd also recommend 2 litter boxes. Many cats like to use 2. Sometimes pee in one and poop in the other. The "standard intelligence" is one-for-one-plus-one. In other words, one more litter box than number of cats.

Provide a place where the cat can get away from the dogs. And he/she will need time to adjust to the new surroundings and come to trust you. Cats aren't like dogs. But he/she is surely bound to be your new best friend. :-)

Good for you for asking questions!

• two25acres
    12 years ago

We have 10 cats, all indoor. Ours never go outside, we have too many larger wild animals around here and I certainly wouldn't risk it. We use several boxes, in the basement we use cedar shavings because that is where 8 of the 10 sleep at night and are kept there while we are at work. I just feel safer knowing they are all in the basement. The other 2 are kept upstairs as they are both diabetic and require insulin at 12 hour intervals. Just easier to have them upstairs. In the box upstairs we purchased a 30 gallon rubbermaid tote, cut open two doors on the sides, easy in and out. We don't use clay litter, one cat was declawed and we found he wasn't using the box because the clay would clump up on his feet. We use "the worlds greatest litter" which is all corn. There is no dust, no odors and they love it. Yes it cost more but it last longer. We scoop twice a day. As for toys, they prefer the simple ones. After grocery shopping we leave a couple of brown bags on the floor and they have at it. They also love two liter pop tops. Some won't be bothered with toys at all. We had a husky wolf when the cats we're brought in as kittens, never had any problems. That dog passed away a couple of years ago. We haven't considered getting another dog as we would be bringing that dog into a female dominated cat house and I would really feel sorry for the dog. Initially like others have said, I would try to keep the cat isolated from the dogs and slowly introduce them. This could take as much as a week. Patience will be required.
    As for the vet, take kitty right away and make sure all shots are up to date and they will direct you as to what is needed and when.
    If fleas become a problem, I use baking soda and borax on my carpets several times a year. It freshens the carpets, kills any eggs and keeps the carpets bright. Since ours never go outside I don't worry about them bringing in fleas but they can be brought in by other people.
    Have fun and enjoy your kitty.

• janie_ga
    12 years ago

I gave up using "true" litter boxes. I buy large plastic storage containers. Ara LOVES to dog and the cat-size litter boxes could not contain her flying litter.

She might like pony-tail holders. We have had several cats that were always stealing those.

Some cats are very picky about their water bowl. Some do not like plastic- it smells funny to them. You might want to by ceramic ones just in case.

Cats are lactose intolerant (like someone else mentioned) so no actual milk. Sometimes, they can have a little yogurt (think, what can a human with lactose issues eat and you will be fairly safe).

Oh, make sure the cat has several high places to go- she will need peace and quiet to "supervise the house and high places are good....AND.... put a safety gate on Lauren's door so the cat can get to the litter box without the dogs "cleaning it" for her. It will also give the cat control over how much interaction she has with the dogs- as long as she can jump over it and the dogs cannot.

Keep us posted!

• Tabby_cat
    12 years ago

This sounds like a fun time for you. Like two.25acres we are a multiple cat household, at a baker's dozen right now but 3 of them are to be placed this week, not to worry, the holidays are coming we'll have more to foster soon. Lynn_D's advice about ribbon on gifts is timely and correct, people remember not to use the tinsel and garland and then put presents wrapped in ribbon under the tree. Vala55 mentions finding out what food they are eating, that is important.

I cannot imagine having 14 cat boxes, but I do have 3 upstairs and 3 downstairs, one is covered in each group because some cats like the privacy. Most of our cats do urinate in one box and solids in the other. I really dislike the World's best litter, I don't think it has any odor control, and I think the odor from the bag is offensive. But the number one problem I have had with it is the dogs eat it and are then constipated.

I also keep a box in my bedroom, it's one of the covered ones. My bedroom is large so the box is tucked in an out of the way corner. If your daughter is going to be the primary caregiver then by all means, keep a box in her room where the cat is going to be sequestered. You will probably find that this room will remain the sanctuary of choice even when the cat is out and free to roam the house.

And I know that the urge to pick up and cuddle is hard to overcome but allowing the cat to make the first move is often best, and whatever you do, do not grab her when you are preparing to feed her or she will become shy about coming to eat. How old is your daughter?
    Good Luck!

• Kathsgrdn
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Tabby Cat, my daughter is 15, will be 16 next April. She just told me that Bushido won't be ready tomorrow. She just came to the shelter so they have to spay her and give her her shots first. They're going to do it this Thursday and let me pick her up the same day. But I have a mammogram scheduled for late in the afternoon out of town...so I won't be able to get her until Friday. Darn, I was really looking forward to getting her tomorrow. Bushido just showed up at Donna's house, who is the aunt of one of Lauren's friends and the manager of the Humane Society.

When Lauren comes home we are going to go shopping for Bushido's things. Oh, and now she tells me Chico hasn't been fixed either, guess they don't allow fostering until they're fixed, which makes sense.

Suzieque, we may put the box in Lauren's bathroom, if we can find room in there, it's a small bathroom. My whole house is small so there isn't a lot of places I could have the box where it would be accessible to the cat.

I'm not sure about 2 boxes, though, will try one and see if that's enough due to space. Yes, will use the scoopable litter.

Janie, will not get plastic, thanks for the tip. I have a huge wall unit that has nothing up on top of it, and was just thinking last night that the cat is going to be up there soon. ( :

Lauren said Bushido has been eating a variety of food. It changes constantly according to what people donate.

• lisa_fla
    12 years ago

In this scenario I would put the box in Lauren's bedroom. Use scoopable litter (Fresh Step or Scoop Away) and she can scoop it a few times a day. Litter will get tracked out of it, but the room won't smell. Good luck and have fun!!! Be sure to keep her sequestered to the room to recuperate. Be prepared for a cat climbing the xmas tree! Be sure it is secure and won't tip!

• chubby_rat
    12 years ago

I use an electric litter box....expensive to purchase(got mine on ebay) but litter box is always clean.I put a plastic bag in the tray and just have to lift the bag out and renew it.Upstairs I use 1 regular box (the"pee" box) and a large tub (the poop box) In the BR for the night we have a regular box,they don't use it much.It's just in case they need to go at night.I want to get at least one more electric one.Love that thing! I don't have to scoop all day.
    The 2 young cats mostly go outside,we put in an underground fence so they stay in the yard.We have 2 doggie doors and it's impossible to keep them in the house.They got shocked once or twice and learned to stay away.

• janie_ga
    12 years ago

If you can put a blanket up there for her to nap on (wood can be hard on the joints) and a chair or stool as a jumping point if it is very tall.

AND... very important!!!!!
    Do not leave the plastic shopping bags around- and make sure the little tabs do not fall off when you bring them in the house. Some cats are attracted to the chemicals in the plastic bag (just like some adore catnip) and they will try to eat the plastic. Elmo our oldest male LOVES the plastic so we have to be careful.

Several of our cats like to lick the webbing that makes straps on gym bags- you know, kind of like seat belt webbing. I have no idea why they like it but since they only lick and do not try to eat it, I allow that, lol.

• jannie
    12 years ago

Congratulations on being adopted by a cat. Remember dogs are man's best friend, cats have staff. One thing to consider-get 2 litter boxes, keep them in separate areas of your home and keep them scrupulously clean. Cats do not need to be "trained" to use a litter box. Once they find it, and it stays clean, they'll use it always. Cats in nature bury their waste. My cat didn't like Feline Pine, tho I loved the Christmas-tree smell. Don't switch around foods on your kitty. Find out what he's used to and feed that. Wet food is generally better than dry-you'll notice smaller and less stinky stools with wet food. Also some cats swallow dry food whole and it causes intestinal problems. Have fun!

• Chi
    12 years ago

Since the cat is a male, I'll give you a warning on what happened to my male cat. I had him on dry food, and cats generally don't drink much water on their own. In nature, their food provides a little water but dry food doesn't so it makes it even worse. My cat ended up having a urinary blockage which resulted in emergency surgery to the tune of over $2,000. It happens to males much more often than females cause of their urinary structure.

He's now on 100% wet food and hasn't blocked again. I add a half-can of water to each can of food so they get plenty of water. I can tell from litter box usage that they are much better hydrated.

Just something to warn you about since it's not all that uncommon in males and it's very expensive and can easily kill a cat. Prevention is much cheaper than treating it. :) It's less convenient to feed wet food but I firmly believe it's better for the cat both for hydration and nutrition. I also would recommend some of the more premium brands of food. They are obviously more expensive but the Friskies and other grocery store brands are full of byproducts and wheat gluten and all sorts of junk cats aren't meant to eat. I feed mine Wellness and figure it's an investment against future vet visits.

As for litter, I get the Ever Clean and it is by far the best litter I've ever had and I've tried them all. It's more expensive but it works really well and you never have to dump out the whole box like you do with other brands. You have to get it at pet stores but I frequently see it on sale at places like Petsmart.

• jae_tn2
    12 years ago

following others, i would go further and beg you not to let the cat go outside! i had an inside/outside cat once and he only lived about 2 years where my inside ones lived for 16. don't get it unless you are prepared to let it own you for that long. the problem we had is that he might be gone as long as 3 days or just half a day - we never knew which. we were constantly going to the door and calling him and wondering if he would could then or not until ten minutes after we gave up and closed the door, only to eventually leave again for another day or more. They aren't like dogs who will usually come when called. as others mentioned, they are at the peril of dogs, cars, wild animals and other not pleasant fates that aren't fun to think about.

like my kids, i always wanted to know where my animals were at night!

• Kathsgrdn
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Chi83, she's a female, found that out after I posted the original post. I also already bought the food: Meow Mix dry, which is what they said most of the shelter cats like the most when they get it.

I bought a plastic food bowl, though, by accident. It was so solid and heavy I thought it was ceramic, but it doesn't have a plastic odor I hope. Found out it was plastic when I peeled the sticker off the bottom.

Got Fresh Step litter in the giant box-lol. Got everything at Wal-Mart but had to make a trip to Frankfort to get the metal scooper at Petco. They had one left! I hate going in that store because I want to buy everything. After spending a small fortune at Wal-Mart, I almost bought Emily another toy at Petco just because it was so darn cute. I did put it back, though, and only got the scooper.

We also found a litter box with sides on it that kind of curve in.

We almost bought some little bitty jingly balls but then I remembered Emily and decided against them. Instead we bought a big round wobbly thing that has a motorized feather that moves around and one of those little noisy balls inside.

• janie_ga
    12 years ago

okay, next time you are out and about (or online shopping).... our boys love the turbo scratcher!
    http://www.amazon.com/Bergan-Turbo-Scratcher-Colors-Vary/dp/B000IYSAIW

Ara just wants me to hold the bath brush for her (very much like this one. She likes the cat brushes but loves this thing!
    http://www.amazon.com/Yerba-Prima-Tampico-Skin-Brush/dp/B0002JFZDQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1322443872&sr=8-2

Our Elmo has had the urinary crystals chi mentioned. One vet told us to limit/eliminate all seafood (almost impossible with commercial cat food!). We had all the cats on Purina Urinary Tract food for years but had to switch because it caused Bugsy to have FOUL poop that ran all of us out of the house. We have switched to Felidae Dry Cat Food for Adult Cats and Kittens, Chicken Meal and Rice Formula. It only has chicken (no seafood!) and has cut down on Bugsy's vial poop. We are watching Elmo closely to see how he handles it. Amazon has it cheaper than the local pet store (and Amazon delivers for free!)
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001H19FIY/ref=oh_o00_s00_i00_details

You may regret asking all of us because we have LOTS of advise! :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Turbo scratcher

• chubby_rat
    12 years ago

Oh...just wanted to mention. If you buy the fishing rod type toys....be very careful.Yrs ago my Nina was playing with one of them and got the elastic wrapped around her neck.It was around in such a way that she couldn't get it off,it just kept getting tighter.Luckily I was home and noticed her carrying on.I had to break the elastic string to get it off of a frightened flipping out cat.Not fun,just glad I was home,she;d have strangled.

• naughtykitty
    12 years ago

Congrats! I can't wait to read your stories...

My only opinion is that if you feed her better food she will be healthier and her poop won't smell as much. I tried switching to a cheaper (grocery store) food and it was a bad few weeks. Oliver is 12 now and only eats dry Eukanuba. You can get it on sale at PetSmart (or online). It really does make a huge difference. He hates wet food.

Also, he really loves the toys that just look like a ball of rabbit fur. Any color, but these are his favorites.

Good luck!

• cynic
    12 years ago

I join those who encourage you to not let her outside unless she's on a harness (*NOT* a collar) and leash. Or consider a dog kennel type setup where she's confined.

Meow Mix is a low-grade food. I'm not going to get into arguments over food but I'm a firm believer in a better quality food. I noticed a *huge* difference in the coats on my animals when I started feeding them Eukanuba. I won't change. It's a well respected brand and food. Good foods won't have as much stool to clean up, will give a better coat and even help their teeth. Wet food will build up on their teeth where dry food will help clean their teeth. I've never had a problem with a cat not drinking. I "free feed" mine where some don't. I have no problems with it.

Speaking of food, avoid dairy products. Contrary to common belief cats are not by definition lactose intolerant. Like humans, some are. But it's still better to give them less. First, they don't need it after weened. And they should have mama's milk before that. Second, milk is not part of their natural diet. I give mine an occasional treat of ice cream about the size of 2 peas. That's all she wants and that's all she gets. Other treats I seldom give. It's better to feed them a good quality food. Occasionally some get tired of their food and complain but they'll eat when hungry.

Keep in mind cats and dogs are carnivores and need animal proteins in their foods. Cheap foods use plant proteins and that's inferior. They won't get the same nutrition. Avoid foods that contain the word "gluten". There's a lot to learn on food and a lot of misinformation out there too so I won't go into all of it right now. However a good diet will eliminate much of the odors in the litter box. They're no different than humans in that respect. If they get an upset stomach, their waste will smell.

Small objects on tables, counters, etc, may soon become toys. Don't leave earrings, rings, or anything valuable out unless you want to take a chance.

Claws. You'll need to get a claw trimmer. Don't use a fingernail clipper, they'll split the claws and can cause damage. I like the ones that are like scissors with a little "square" in it that cuts. You have much better control. If the cat is a longhair, even a shorthair, you might want to get a brush or comb. Start combing/brushing them young to get them used to it. Mine enjoys it. Some cats shed nonstop, mine sheds very seldom (but again, a big part of that is her diet).

Pets are rewarding. I'm sure you'll enjoy having her around. Yes, sometimes they're frustrating, not unlike kids.

Cats need exercise and sometimes they'll give some to themselves. But a stick of some sort with a string on it is very entertaining, and they enjor chasing it. Also laser pointers are great toys. Mine comes and literally screams at me when she wants to chase the red dot! Her other toys? Bottle caps for one. And she likes to dig a scrap of paper out of the wastebasket and scoot it around. Don't spend a lot of money on toys!

Most stores like Petsmart or Petco will have a list of suggested things for a new cat. Don't go overboard. The litter box, dishes, food and the like will get you started. Any dish will do, however, plastic dishes are being frowned upon these days. I do use some though but I know people who had trouble with their cats and the vets said it was from plastic food & water dishes. They didn't specify that the ones designed as pet food dishes were bad but using other ones. Again, could be controversial. But a glass or stainless steel bowl might be in the house and solve the issue.

Discipline. Might as well address it. I have a spray bottle set to a stream and filled with water. If she does something she shouldn't it'll shoot across the room and you can hit them without hurting them. They don't like getting wet. Sometimes if she's about to do something she shouldn't I just reach toward the bottle and she changes her mind!

Cats are inquisitive. Remember that. Cats own you and you are to serve them. You'll learn that.

• Chi
    12 years ago

Oh yeah...in terms of brushes, I highly recommend the FURminator. It works better than any brush I've ever used and the cats love it when I use it on them. It's more expensive than the other brushes but it's worth it. You'll be amazed how much old, loose fur and dander it gets off of the cats before it gets into the air, carpets and furniture. Plus less hairballs and those aren't fun at all for either the cat or the human who has to clean it up.

You can get it cheaper than in this link if you shop around or wait for sales. I got mine on Amazon for $25 I think.

I would also recommend you get yourself a bottle of Nature's Miracle. It's great for any "oops" with litter box misses or even hairball stains.

Here is a link that might be useful: FURminator

• Kathsgrdn
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for all the advice, but I am not buying Eukanuba pet food. It's way too expensive. Our last dog ate "low grade pet food" as you call it and lived to a ripe old age with no health problems at all.

• lydia1959
    12 years ago

My cats have always ate the lower grade foods and the oldest is 19 now, the last lived to be 17 (and that was with insulin-dependent diabetes for over 2 years). I don't clip my cats nails either, never have and have had no problems there either. Not saying you shouldn't, just that I don't think you have to.

• Lily316
    12 years ago

I have always had cats for 45 years. Off the top of my head..Ceramic bowls and always have fresh water. Meow Mix is not a good quality food. Two litter boxes should be used in case the cats wants to do number one and two in separate ones. I don't use a litter box upstairs but a really tall Sterlite box with the tray under it. In the basement I have five more boxes. I have four cats. I use mostly Tidy Cat or fresh Step. Have your cat get used to brushing and combing. Mine ALL love it. But the most important advice is keep her inside. There was a article in our paper today saying the same thing. One cat was shot in the spine with a BB gun and had to be euthanized, another had an arrow thru it, the others have been found strangled. This happened near Phila. There are cars, dogs, so many things that I would never ever dream of letting my cats out. Good luck. Cats RULE!!