SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jannie_gw

Too Retro?

jannie
12 years ago

This is a continuing story. My Mother passed away in January, leaving my brother as sole heir. He's been cleaning up the house in an effort to sell it. He's managed to totally empty the attic and basement, had a Garage Sale and an Estate Sale. Most of the furniture is gone. He said it looks the same from the outside and the interior walls are there, but it looks totally different. He's contacted several Real Estate offices to get advice on selling. One made an offer of $70,000 for a four bedroom two story colonial in a very nice neighborhood.Similar houses sell for around $150,000 and up. . He told my brother he needs to "Update"- everything looks "too retro". He said, re-do the kitchen. Spend at least $15,000, and rip out all the chandeliers and light fixtures in the house, they look "Too 60"s". Well, we moved in in 1963 and the lights all still work. My parents fixed or replaced things if they broke, but they never "modernized". Now my feelings are hurt. It was my house too, and I never felt like I was living in an old-fashioned dump. Personally, if I were looking at homes to buy and found a well-maintained 60's house with a "retro" look, I'd find it charming, not an eyesore that needs major work. What's your opinion?

Comments (17)