SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
debo_2006

The grocery shopping experience

debo_2006
15 years ago

I despise grocery shopping. I would rather scrub toilets, clean the huge kitchen floor on my hands and knees, and do 500 lbs of laundry consecutively. People are so ignorant in the grocery store. Today while shopping, I encountered more of the same ignorant people and many without comman sense. This made me wonder what your pet peeves are when it comes to grocery shopping from pulling into the parking lot to loading the bags into your trunk, and everything in-between.

Here's a few that I experienced today:

Narrow aisles and this older man had his cart sideways as he was literally on his knees looking for an item on the bottom shelf. I moved his cart so I could get by and got the evil eye instead of a positive gesture for allowing me and others to get past, like "I" did something wrong. Shame on someone, and it's not me.

Two ladies shopping together each with their own cart. Upon stopping to check shelves, they parked their carts side by side instead of one behind the other. Naturally, there was not enough space for other shoppers to get by. I suppose they don't know what shopping etiquette is!

A lady left her pocketbook opened sitting in the cart. She was way down the aisle looking at an item. If she's dumb enough to do this, I'm smart enough not to walk to the opposite end of the aisle to say something to her (been there, done that all too many times out of kindness). Can anyone say identity theft?

Some people are too lazy to put their cart back in the parking lot cart bin. Instead, they leave it trapped between two parking spaces so you have to move it in case it hits your car when pulling into the space. Can you spell LAZY??? (And yes, parking spaces are hard to come by at this place, so finding another one is sometimes out of the question).

Perhaps I should pay someone to do the shopping for me, or order on-line, though I'm not that kind of person. I can go on and on because all markets are the same that I've observed with people's rudeness. When I'm shopping, I'm always aware of who is around me and always courteous with not blocking paths because I know how things like bug the crap out of me.

Okay, now that you've read SOME of mine, what gets your goat when grocery shopping? Don't be shy.

Comments (48)

• Lindsey_CA
    15 years ago

I hate to scrub toilets, so I'll do your grocery shopping if you clean all three bathrooms in my house. :-)

I have experienced everything you mentioned in a grocery store. What drives me nuts are the folks who will park their cart in one aisle while they go to another aisle (or two) to pick up stuff.

Once, when I was shopping in Costco, someone kept doing that. It was like the person was on the same "route" I was on. I kept coming across this same dang cart in lots of aisles, but no one was around. Finally, I'd had enough. I grabbed ahold of the cart handle and gave it a huge shove. It went sailing down the aisle, across the center aisle of the store, and onto the other side. Another couple was nearby (it wasn't their cart - they had theirs with them), and the husband looked at me and said, "that was so rude!" I glared at him and said that no, the person who kept abandoning their cart like they own the whole store was being rude, then I went on down the aisle...

• sheilajoyce_gw
    15 years ago

I hate it when the store redesigns its layout and moves everything around, making my shopping trips twice as long as they need to be. Can't these MEN understand that we like knowing where everything is in a store and don't want the new look? Just replace the tiles, buy new shelves, or add a nice case, but don't move things around.

• Related Discussions

How Vitamix has changed your grocery shopping and cooking?

Q

Comments (39)
    I've joined the Vitamix club! My 16-year-old son and I made smoothies this afternoon, starting with every fresh and frozen fruit we had in the house...and then my son asked if we could throw in some spinach or kale. We didn't have any, so we added some romaine lettuce. He guzzled it and asked me to buy some kale. Tonight we made milkshakes -- naughty ones with ice cream, peanut butter, and chocolate syrup -- no hidden veggies. They were yummy. Tomorrow, we'll go back to healthy smoothies. And then we'll start playing with soups, etc. One thing that amazed me with the cookbook that came w/ the blender is that it looks like there are soups and sauces that start out as raw ingredients. and then actually get heated up during blending. Are they really hot enough to eat without heating further?? I will say that I like some soups to be chunky. Split pea, for me, should be somewhat chunky. I like the peas, chunks of potato and ham, and shreds of carrot. But for others, smoothness will be great -- like sweet potato or asparagus. Looking forward to playing around with it!
    ...See More

Online grocery shopping?

Q

Comments (27)
    Yes Lucillle that is a consideration. That's a 20 mile round trip and probably a special trip at that so you need to factor in driving expense too. A friend of mine used one of the high-end stores in the area to deliver her groceries. They'd put things away, in refrigerator, freezer and cupboards so there was no carrying at all. She loved it. She hated going to the store at all so it was worth it to her. But they stopped delivering to her area. She was one unhappy gal when that happened! There was also a company called Simon Delivers who delivered things in the area. I thought about using them but never did. They were bought out by Coborn's and they're a very good store so I wouldn't hesitate to use them if the need should arise but at this point I still prefer to pick out my own stuff.
    ...See More

Curbside grocery shopping?

Q

Comments (31)
    So timely for this to pop up again. Just yesterday we used the Walmart grocery pick up. I ordered online it was extremely easy, paid by credit card, got my pick up time, I went ahead and installed the Walmart app on my phone but you don't have to. As I was driving there I clicked the app and hit the check in button which it said to do as I was on the way and told them the color of my car. I drove up in the rain and parked in the pick up slot. Immediately the guy came out wheeling a cart with our groceries. He told me which items they made substitutions on and all were fine with me. When they make a substitution you can either accept it or they remove the charge. Any time a substitution is made they give you a higher priced item and do not charge for the difference. I had asked for a special brand of potato buns and they did not have it so they gave me 2 packages of a similar brand. I asked for a jar of Bertolli pasta sauce and they substituted the higher priced organic version of it. He then put all the groceries in the car and told us this is the bread and put it in a safe place etc. First time I think I got home with bread not smashed. In total we were there maybe 10 minutes if that. It was a very good experience and we will do it again. Especially in bad weather it saves us having to unload my scooter and deal with that in the rain. We were both exhausted from working in the house too. I will try the kroger near us next. We went by there to pick up something for my husband and I sat in the car. Their pick up area was right by there. The people waiting had to wait much longer but I don't know if they have the app that lets you tell them you are on the way. I think theirs you pull up and call the number on the sign. So that could be the difference and theirs you pay then with delivery. You can still use your kroger loyalty card and get your discounts. We have senior discount and I load my digital coupons on the card. That is a nice option. I want to try a home deliver one but right now the HEB in our area does not deliver to our zipcode yet. And those charge. There is no charge for the Walmart plus I got a $10 discount for first time.
    ...See More

Tried to go grocery shopping

Q

Comments (43)
    I did my shopping yesterday. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the grocery store was fully stocked with fresh produce; I was able to get all of the fruit and veggies that were on my shopping list. Meat was pretty much wiped out, but they had the one thing I wanted - smoked ham hocks. No eggs, very little dairy, no bread except for some hamburger buns (which were on my list) and no dry goods such as beans, pasta or rice. All of the Stovetop Stuffing and Rice-a-Roni type items were gone along with the canned and frozen veggies. There were no paper goods to be found. What they did have was plenty of chips, cookies, crackers, ice cream (bought four boxes - guess that makes me a hoarder!), frozen dinners/pizzas, booze and soda. I was able to get everything on my grocery list and we're all set for a week or so when we'll need to re-stock our supply of fresh produce.
    ...See More
  • User
    15 years ago

My biggest peeve is customers who remove an item from the shelf, look at it and then decide they don't want it. Then stash it where ever they feel like it, whether on the shelf above or below where they found it, or six aisles over. You got it off the shelf, put it back.

Customers who open packaging and then don't buy the package they open, but rather put that back on the shelf and take a package that wasn't open because they don't like buying opened packaging even though THEY opened it, leaving the opened package for me to buy and wonder if it was a returned item.

Customers who have cell phone conversations while shopping. Even worse, customers who have cell phone conversations and talk so loudly, I can't hear myself think.

Store intercom systems that when an employee speaks on it, I pee myself because it's so bloody loud. I swear sometimes I think people in China can hear what our Walmart intercom says.

• User
    15 years ago

oh, I forgot. We just got back from Sobeys' I hate it when parents don't control their children. Three kids were play fighting in the checkout line up (and the store was jam packed today!) and there I am trying to protect my broken hand from these kids as they literally ran circles around my husband and me in the line up. It wasn't until the man in front of us said, "do you mind??? that grandma finally said, "kids, settle down, quit bothering people".

• lilliepad
    15 years ago

All of the above! I just had the "shopping experience" at Wall-Mart yesterday.LOL I also hate the narrow aisles with all the crap in the way.LOL I have to use a motorized cart and sometimes have to go two or three aisles out of the way to get down the one I need to go down.
    Another thing that bugs me is people that let their little ones run around everywhere.Evidently they don't know how dangerous it can be for one of them to run out in front of someone in one of those carts! Sometimes I even get one that keeps going for a second after you stop it.
    I don't like to see shopping carts all over the parking lot either but something to think about next time you see a stray cart on the parking lot.I am handicapped and I appreciate finding a cart,especially a motorized one left on the parking lot near a handicapped parking space.I can get into the store by leaning on a regular cart if I need to and it saves my DH,who is also handicapped,from having to go into the store for one.

• jannie
    15 years ago

I agree with everything above , and I'll add one of my own-people who don't have their money ready when they reach the cashier. What did they think, today is "Everything Is Free" Day?

• glenda_al
    15 years ago

They need to have isle traffic signals at WalMart, particulary on Saturday afternoons!

• coloredthumb
    15 years ago

I'm a mean shopper I don't block the aisles I keep the GKids in hand and I try to be curteous to other shoppers.

Then again I use my own solutions for the peeves I stress over. I've given up being a role model for shopping etiquette. In 55 yrs of doing my shopping people have gotten so much worse in manners.

Block the aisle long enough to annoy me, when I get by the blockade I drop something expensive into the cart(s). Usally these people don't notice what is going on around them and the item they don't realize gets paid for by them and they wonder where it came from.

I growl quite menacingly at unruley kids running amuck with out parental control. For the kiddies throwing fits or screaming and whining I threaten to get the boogie man to steal them away if they don't behave better for the Mommy or Daddy. Those usually calm down the brats for a bit. I've been glared at and sworn at by some folks but usually the parent gives a sigh of relief when the kids shut up and follow along without protest, hining and fits..

On a few ocassions I have called out "Hey Man where you going with that purse?" It makes the idiot who left her bag open in the buggy 1/2 the store away turn real quick! LOL

The push-their-cart-up-your-butt-in-line shoppers that bump the cart into you secveral times!!!!! I ask them only once to back off a little then if it continues I just back step very hard into their cart and shove it hard into them. They usually quit the aggressive cart shoving then.
    I can't for the life of me understand this ramming action It isn't as if The line is going to move any faster by ramming me with the cart. WHY do they do that?

At one point in my life I loved to shop, any kind of shopping was fun. I did it for pleasure & I did it for business as a personal shopper for busy people. I hate to have to go into any store now days. It is a very rare shopping trip where I escape all of the mentioned peeves butI hold out hope for a perfect trip more oft than not. .
    CT

• carol_in_california
    15 years ago

My DH is a terrible aisle blocker....he seems to feel there is no one in the store but him and no one is in a hurry. He drives me crazy.......I am forever reminding him to keep his body and his cart out of the flow of traffic.
    A lot of people seem to have difficulty thinking about how inconvenient it is for other people if they don't pay attention to thier surroundings.
    DH seems to be getting worse as he gets older
    I don't mind going to the store alone but when he goes, it is rarely a happy time for either one of us. I nag and he gets stubborn. If I don't nag, he parks in the middle of the isle, is slow and is forgetful.

• dianamo_1
    15 years ago

[quote]Finally, I'd had enough. I grabbed ahold of the cart handle and gave it a huge shove. It went sailing down the aisle, across the center aisle of the store, and onto the other side. Another couple was nearby (it wasn't their cart - they had theirs with them), and the husband looked at me and said, "that was so rude!" I glared at him and said that no, the person who kept abandoning their cart like they own the whole store was being rude, then I went on down the aisle...[/quote]

Not only rude, but dangerous. What if a person or a small child had been walking past in the main isle when you shoved that cart?

• sue36
    15 years ago

I live in an area what gets a lot of tourists (and weekly renters) in the summer. I made the enormous mistake of food shopping on a Saturday this summer. It will never happen again. Try to imagine a store full of entire families (husband, wife, kids, grandma) all with no clue where anything is, in "vacation mind mode" and looking for all the basics? I nearly lost my mind. So, during the summer I now drive 10 miles in the other direction to avoid the tourists.

But yeah, there are lots of people shopping while stupid. Kids using the motorized carts provided for the elderly or whoever needs them, flying around the store, with no parent in sight. People eating grapes as they shop (ah, they're sold by weight!). Kids who just plain get in the way and don't here "pardon me" until you say it 5 times (at which point the mother shoots you a look). Socializers blocking the aisle while they catch up on gossip. Or how about the people who are in line, checking out, everything has been rung in but they have 2 teenagers and a husband running around the store still shopping, and they are waiting for them? And we all stand their waiting. Grrr. Oh, I almost forgot about the people to whom I am invisible. Now, I'm not a petite woman. I don't dress in camoflage. But for some reason I am invisible to this certain group of people who walk backwards into me, push their cart into me or don't notice me standing their trying to get around them.

But the truth is, if I go shopping on off hours I actually enjoy it. I used to live in an area where supermarkets were open 24x7. I'd shop after the 11:00 news. It was heaven.

• azzalea
    15 years ago

Oh, I love grocery shopping. We often visit unfamiliar grocery stores when vacationing, just to see what regional treasures we can discover.

As an older person (with bad knees) reading your post, I had a terrible vision of the old man, on his knees, trying to find something he probably needed desparately--or he wouldn't have been down there to start with--who had no doubt positioned the cart carefully so he could use it to haul himself up--and someone comes along and moves it out of his reach. Poor guy. Hope he was able to arise safely.

Personally? I guess my main grocery store complaint is when they rearrange things. I make my list in order based on the arrangement of the store I'm shopping at--and when they mix things up, it messes up my list. And I don't like those cardboard display cases that some stores have angled in the aisle, which pretty much blocks you from passing someone else. But otherwise, I don't have major issues with most of the things posted here. I actually have found that at the new house, grocery shopping is a wonderful way to meet and chat with other local residents. Have met some very nice folks in the grocery store.

• mariend
    15 years ago

Shopping by cell phone and not paying attention to others.
    Old people trying to make up their mind what to buy and if they really need it, especially if the spouse is asking why are you buying that--or do we need that again?
    trying to reach a product on a high shelf and no one around==especially Walmart. I just look for the tallest teen and ask them

• Lindsey_CA
    15 years ago

[quote]Finally, I'd had enough. I grabbed ahold of the cart handle and gave it a huge shove. It went sailing down the aisle, across the center aisle of the store, and onto the other side. Another couple was nearby (it wasn't their cart - they had theirs with them), and the husband looked at me and said, "that was so rude!" I glared at him and said that no, the person who kept abandoning their cart like they own the whole store was being rude, then I went on down the aisle...[/quote]

"Not only rude, but dangerous. What if a person or a small child had been walking past in the main isle when you shoved that cart?"

Thank you so much for assuming that I didn't have enough intelligence to check to see what was ahead when I did that.

Sheesh.

• azzalea
    15 years ago

Wouldn't it have been much more effective, if--rather than shoving the cart willy-nilly, you'd simply tucked a few small, expensive items in the cart for the person to find when they checked out? And there's no way you could have known that someone might not have suddenly appeared around a corner, nor that the cart would go straight where you pushed it--let's face it, they RARELY run straight

I must also add, about cell phones--I never get annoyed about that. You see, my mother was a shut in for 12 years before she died. Because of congestive heart disease, she couldn't manage the grocery store. I did her shopping for her. And yes, many times, I called her, so that she could be involved in the shopping, and so I could get her products she'd be happy with. Unless you actually know the person on the phone--you really don't know if the person on the other end CANNOT go to the store, and this is the only way they can really be a part of the shopping epxerience.

• mary_c_gw
    15 years ago

Ooh, lots of grumpy shoppers!

I'm going to slink quietly away with no comments.

• dianamo_1
    15 years ago

Lindsey,

The way you had it worded..it appeared that you just grabbed hold of the cart and shoved it, spur of the moment, out of anger. That is why I said what I did.

• Adella Bedella
    15 years ago

I think if you shop at Wal-Mart there really isn't a way to shop that isn't in the way. The aisles are often too narrow for the carts to pass by and it's hard to get that item off the shelf even if it's right there because it means other people have to wait behind you. I've found that shopping at Wal-Mart sometimes makes me more aggressive so I try to avoid it if I can.

Shopping doesn't usually bother me much unless there is a grumpy crowd. I got kind of annoyed last year when someone behind me complained because I used coupons and price matched a few items. Tough! I have rights as a customer too. I had my stuff in order, but sometimes it does take a little while to get done.

I absolutely hate people who pull up behind me to wait for my parking space while I'm loading groceries. Go find another spot. After I get the bags loaded. I will try to put the cart away if I feel safe enough to do so. Then I will go buckle dd into her car seat because she can't do it herself. If we happen to be eating snacks that day, I will possibly opening them for the kids before we leave.

• kathleen44
    15 years ago

Where I live there are tons of seniors and sometimes I end up at the grocery store when they get their cheque and out they come. Yes, carts are blocking all over and yes, you can't get by carts. And yes, there are purses left in the cart.

I am not the stupid one for telling the ones that leave their purses in the cart and tell them that there have been many purse thefts in grocery stores, they are so thankful when you tell them.

And even when there are two carts that meet, they make the aisles so narrow it can be a struggle at times to get by with both of us pushing our carts as far over as possible.

I do say excuse me if they are blocking the aisles and they are very nice and will get up and move their cart out of the way and themselves.

Also I will push their cart out the way so I can get by.

And I wouldn't think of putting anything in anyone's cart. I can't imagine any of those seniors that are on tight budgets getting home wondering why this expensive item is in their groceries?

I wouldn't want any of that stuff done to me and I am sure you wouldn't either.

As for the carts, yes, that can be a problem, but I see that more in parking lots like Walmart,etc. But the regular grocery store I shop at, they are pretty good, there is the odd one left but they have guys and gals that go out and collect the carts regularly.

I have also taken back carts into the area where you take the carts in the parking lot.

• cynic
    15 years ago

IDK, maybe that wayfaring kid shouldn't have been abandoned to be put in harms way?? :)

I still chuckle about one time in the store it was crowded and down the aisle I hear this voice get louder and louder, beep beep...... BEEP BEEP...BEEP BEEP ...BEEP BEEP and here comes a rather large lady with a very strong voice pushing a very full cart and there's more beep beep, coming through, beep beep Oh that wonder mop - you're gonna love that beep beep! I've thought about it but haven't had the guts to do it but I give her credit for parting the deadhead sea.

One of my frustrations is people who come charging out of the aisles without looking and then give me dirty looks when I almost hit them with the cart.

And I've noticed that some people have developed a modification to the cart in the middle of the aisle trick. Now they have it about 1/3 the way across and then THEY stand 1/3 over yakking on the phone looking at the shelves! That's progress I guess.

And then there's the coupon thieves! I'm getting sick of seeing the adhesive on the product where there WAS a couoon attached but some thief stole it. And of course the ones that take frozen, dairy and refrigerated items then leave them anywhere in the store.

I used to go to the store seldom and made marathon trips. Frustrating didn't begin to describe it. Now I go more often for less and at least I can say forget it and leave a couple things but still get some of what I wanted. There were a lot of times I just gave a cart full of stuff (without refrigerated/frozen - I'd put them back) and walk out. I don't do that anymore. So in that respect it's improved.

Still don't like shopping but it's getting better.

• jeaninwa
    15 years ago

Gosh, I'm glad I'm not a grumpy shopper.
    It costs nothing to be patient.
    It costs nothing to give a person some grace.

It costs dearly to have a smoldering heart.
    It costs dearly to live with resentment.

The change you want to see in the world, first must come from you.

Some of you have very glass houses, you should be careful about throwing stones.

• marilyn_c
    15 years ago

I don't mind grocery shopping...I usually go every day. My pet peeves are not only the people who block aisles, but what really gets my goat is someone who stops just inside the door, and starts a conversation with someone and you can't get past them. Or, when you are trying to get out, they stop just outside the door and to look over their receipt, and again, you can't get around them.

Unruly kids also set my nerves on edge.

I know it is usually unintentional, but I can almost always pick the line that will end up needing someone to do a price check by running back to the aisles to check it out or will argue over why their coupon is expired, or whatever. I usually just start passing out magazines to those folks behind me. Fortunately, I am a speed reader and I can read
    the National Enquirer very quickly.

But, I do like colored thumbs idea of dropping something expensive in the cart next time someone abandons it and walks off, leaving it in the way.

• OklaMoni
    15 years ago

Go early in the morning, or after 10:00 PM. Lots less people out, and definitely less kids. :)

Don't go at times when it annoys you.

slowly slinking away too

Moni

• mary_c_gw
    15 years ago

OK, so maybe I will respond to this thread.

I don't usually block the aisle with my cart, and I really try not to. But if I have to get down on my knees to get the last box of raisins way back on the bottom shelf, I will. If you don't like my large rear end, go elsewhere. I have as much right to spend my money and get what I want as you do.

I try to be a polite shopper. I do put my cart back in the cart corral.

I never let my child make a scene in the store, and frankly, I rarely see that where I shop. Most of my shopping issues are with the 30-50 crowd, and they aren't shopping with the kids.

If you don't like my method of shopping - well........I won't say. Some of you need to put on the polite-in-public big girl panties.

• teresava
    15 years ago

I don't mind shopping-in fact I rather like it. Go off hours to help cut down on your stress. I dont' have time to worry about the small things.

My peeves-I seem to always get the cart with the broken or squeaky wheel. And if I have my kids with me, sometimes we get the big car cart. Those things are HUGE and hard to steer! So stay clear of us and/or give us a wide berth!

• intherain
    15 years ago

I don't like grocery shopping, and it's hard to shop at the warehouse grocery store on the weekend, but DH and I do it knowing what we will encounter. I don't really expect much etiquette. Probably the only thing that really bothers me is finding a cart with a purse in it, and no one near the cart. As for everything else, well, that's just how it is. I might not like it, but oh well.

Sheryl

• FlamingO in AR
    15 years ago

In my area, I would have to say that 99% of people are unfailingly polite and it's really nice to be able to go to the store and not have a rise in BP. We live in a tourist area, too, so it's not uncommon to see people in the store searching for things, I've noticed most of the locals are really helpful to them and we try to point them or lead them to the right section.

One time, though, in WalMart, a woman (not from around here, they looked like a military couple) was trying to find a certain case of soft drink and she and her husband were blocking the end of the aisle. I waited patiently for a while and then when they didn't notice me, I finally said "excuse me" to get their attention. The man swung around, saw me waiting and grabbed their cart to move it out of my way so I could enter the aisle, and he smiled and said, "oh, I'm sorry." His wife (I assume they were married, no single woman would talk like this to a boyfriend) turned on him with a vengeance and snarled "don't you dare apologize to HER! No one else would!" which just shocked both of us, him and me. I was taken aback, but was able to say "well, actually, MOST people around here are quite polite and I say it and hear it a lot." Then I left that aisle after getting what I wanted, but the whole rest of the day I felt so sorry for that man being stuck with a shrew.

As for putting an expensive item in someone's cart- I'm sure they will just return it to the store on their next trip. They won't have learned a thing about shopping etiquette, though. Or even shopping common sense, perhaps no one has ever taken a moment to gently say "honey, if you could park your buggy on the side, it would make it a lot easier for others to get their things and get out of this store." That would probably be more helpful than a can of smoked oysters in the pantry. :)

I never go to WalMart or Sam's Club on Saturdays. Sun AM is the best time, before church lets out.

• maryanntx
    15 years ago

I enjoy grocery shopping. The new grocery store in my little town is very large with wide aisles and helpful employees. Our nearest WalMart also has wide aisles. Most shoppers are very polite. I guess my complaint would be when the person checking me out is carrying on a conversation the entire time with the bagger or another checker. I prefer them to pay attention to checking my items and if they want to talk...talk to me. That doesn't happen too often, so I really shouldn't complain.

I use the electric buggy at WalMart as I can't stand up for long or walk very far. I'm afraid there may be some complaints about my driving. LOL

• coloredthumb
    15 years ago

Mary c
    your line
    I don't usually block the aisle with my cart, and I really try not to. But if I have to get down on my knees to get the last box of raisins way back on the bottom shelf, I will. If you don't like my large rear end, go elsewhere. I have as much right to spend my money and get what I want as you do.:
    is precious. Yes the hands and knees scramble on the bottom shelf is so undignified for us but the need is great so we do it. I try to help people in that particular position by giving them a moment or 2 while I run interference for them pulling up behind them with brathing room, looking for something directly over them and giving them a helping hand up. I don't ever have a problem with the shopper in that position unless they have screaming amuck kids, are blocking the whole aisle and their purse is wide open and unattended while one of their demon children bounces the cart off my heel as I wait for clear passage.
    Cell phones don't bother me in the store as long as I don't have to listen to the loud explicet conversation about whoever's whatever.
    I wouldn't doubt in most instances those who are posting how rude we are and how they are so patiient are probably the ones who are totaly unaware they are the aisle blokers and cart abusers and probably have a brat or 2 in tow.
    Though I will say shoving a cart across a store with impetous is rather taking things a bit to far. Once it leaves the controlling hands of the person who shoved it they are responsiblefor the damage it could inflict. I would definitely morve the cart by pulling it or pushing it around the next aisle and stopping it befor I let it go.
    CT

• lucinda_grow
    15 years ago

I work 12 hours night shifts at the emergency room of a local hospital. I usually stop on the way home to shop.It amazes me that so many people are rude and grouchy at 7:00 am!

• Maura63
    15 years ago

Wow - I had no idea that this "road rage" exists while shopping IN stores. Not to say I don't come across the occasional aisle blocker, but I've never been rebuffed for saying excuse me, or moving a cart a few inches.

My pet peeves don't really have to do with other shoppers, per se -- it is the fact that there monitors (TVs) at every checkout usually with advertisements or recipes, etc. It adds to the already noisy shopping experience. And, I tell my kids to always be aware of their surroundings which is a tougher challenge in the high-tech world. I don't need or want the distraction of a TV screen while checking out. Along the same vein, get rid of the trashy headlines on various magazines offered at the checkout line.

Re: Walmart - 90% of the time I am there, there is some toddler screaming/crying at the top of their lungs, sometimes for a half-hour straight! I swear the lighting must trigger this reaction because it seems to be every time I am there!

Other than that, I find most shoppers to be polite. Another thing I tell my kids is that the vibe you put out is usually the vibe that is returned to you. Smile more, make eye contact, be a tad more patient and understanding with others whose circumstances are unknown to you, and the world will be a better place :-)

• pfllh
    15 years ago

Perhaps some insight to complaints.
    I have 3 bulged discs in my lower back and neuropathy. I have no one to do my shopping. My husband is an amputee in a wheelchair so he certainly cannot do the shopping.
    I use the cart to help me walk. Not my choice but a lot of the items I need are on the bottom shelf. I have to get down on my knees to get the items as a lot of the times, what is left is at the back of the shelf. I have to use the cart to get up as my legs just don't work right.
    I do make an effort to keep the buggy close to the shelf. However, going up and down aisles is like driving a car as to which side you need on. I do not mean to block aisles but may park the cart and go across to get what I need. If my legs are working pretty good and I forgot something, I will leave my cart parked and go get it.
    The way I shop appears to be a thorn in some people's side. I did not plan or wish our lives were to be this way. I've had to adjust and change.
    Perhaps the next time you do something to "teach them a lesson" you might consider some understanding that sometimes things happen to cause those incidents.
    I'm glad for you that you feel you do it all just like it should be done. Think again, others probably could critisize you for some things you do. We are human and not perfect and never will be. Don't you have an elderly person in your family that walks a little slower or takes longer to decide? Do you not have someone in your family that has health issues and has to now do things a little differently? Would you want them to stay in their house and go nowhere as they can't do it your way.
    I wish nothing bad for you where you have to experience what some of us go through. Just remember for each unkind word or act, that it may be you on the receiving end in the years to come. I hope none of you who act this way shop where I do.
    Lynn

• ruthieg__tx
    15 years ago

I find that my own frame of mind has a lot to do with how I react to things at the market or on the highway or in life in general. You would be surprised at how little stress you cause yourself when you realize that it really doesn't take much to ignore the kind of things we are talking about here. I know that my age has a lot to do with it but I just refuse to let the small complaints that I have read here irritate me or get my upset...Life's just easier when you overlook. Truthfully I have become that way in just about ever facet of my life...I refuse to become the agitated driver who is screaming mad at every other driver because they are running late. I make sure I leave in plenty of time to get there regardless of what I encounter on the road...same as shopping...I am prepared to stand behind someone or to allow someone a moment to visit etc etc...

• gardenspice
    15 years ago

Wow, I'm with others who are surprised by the extent of the anger about other shoppers.
    I don't like shopping. I am often apalled by people's lack of consideration and I absolutely understand that being in a crowded store can really set one's nerves on end. All that said, I cannot get overly angry about it.
    If shopping caused me THAT much consternation, I think I would trade chores with a friend, pay someone to do it or shop off hours. Life is way too short.

• zeetera
    15 years ago

Everything bugs me about shopping, especially the prices. Once upon a time I could throw anything in the cart and check out with a respectable total, but now, gosh, I can easily hit $300. Can't find a loaf of bread for under $5, a dozen eggs for $7. Everything else averages around $6. And I don't have the patience to comparison shop.

Plus the supermarket that I frequent seems to have people who I swear just walk around with an empty basket just to socialize. Any other time I wouldn't mind hearing about your family or your troubles, but not when my eyes are stinging from the prices.

Sorry, I'm grumpy today because of the time change. Can that be another topic? j/k

• User
    15 years ago

In my experience you get what you are looking for.
    During the seven years that my husband was ill going to the grocery was almost my only outing. Occasionally I would take him with me, wheelchair and all because he wanted to get out.

If I saw someone on his/her knees searching for something I would instinctively ask if I could help. I am often asked to reach something on a high shelf (I'm tall) and I'm happy to do it.

Shopping with a smile will overcome lots of obstacles. Sometimes people who are causing problems are unaware of it. Giving folks the benefit of the doubt makes life more pleasant. If you are expecting problems and rudeness you will find them. If you are looking for courtesy and friendliness and offer them your shopping experience will be much happier. Remember "Do unto others"

Try to be happy next time you visit the grocery.

seniorgal And yes, I am one of those "old people" you don't want to shop with

• judy_jay
    15 years ago

Wow, it does surprise me somewhat about how really nasty some people are about shopping. I do run into a lot of rudeness but in the area where I live, whether driving a car or a grocery cart, that's how people are in general. They just don't care. I have to watch it because before you know it you find yourself becoming that way, too.

• ont_gal
    15 years ago

The one thing that aggravates me the most, is the checkout person shoving me thru long before I am anywheres near ready.
    We have to bag our own groceries here,which isnt an issue...but,if you're struggling to get out your debit card,and your groceries are going quickly by on the other belt,it tends to be annoying.
    Last month,this happened,and the lady on the other belt had a kid that was taking my stuff and bagging it thinking it was his mothers.

• linda_in_iowa
    15 years ago

I like grocery shopping in Iowa. Folks are so polite and friendly. If someone's cart is blocking an aisle I just say "excuse me" and they usually reply about being sorry or they say "no, excuse me". Things you never hear in CA. If I see an older person having trouble finding something, I sometimes ask if I can help them.
    The poster who send that cart flying down an aisle in Costco needs to look at her anger problem. WOW!

• kathy_
    15 years ago

I hate canned music. Today I went to Wal-Mart and K-Mart hunting for a garden hose (no one must need a hose after Halloween since it's the Christmas season). Heard 2 sets of Christmas music and the halloween stuff was not even on sale.
    Wal-Mart was packed and the lady said it was worse yesterday. I was suprised the bell ringers were not out. That is when I shop at 7 am. I hate bell ringers. Oh and I hate the stores that want you to donate to their favorite charity in the checkout. Can I take the tax deduction you get too?
    Bah humbug.

• judy_jay
    15 years ago

linda in iowa - Having lived both in the Midwest & the West Coast, I definitely agree that people are more friendly & polite in the Midwest, and also not in a constant hurry to get where they're going. I've seen people come into a supermarket & just about knock you over to get where they're going.

• monica_pa Grieves
    15 years ago

Shoppers aside...i would love to get my hands on the idiot who invented those huge Humvie-like carts that have a plastic truck cabin or fire engine attached to the front for kids to ride in.

I see women struggling to push these "things', having a hard time making the turns to the next aisle...and holding up everyone in back of them because they're also wider

If you want to give your child a fun ride...take them to an amusement park.

• angelaid
    15 years ago

"The poster who send that cart flying down an aisle in Costco needs to look at her anger problem. WOW!"

Same thought I had. LOL

• debnfla8b
    15 years ago

I'm one of those probably on the cell phone. But it is with my home bound mother that can't shop. I have her list but most times she likes for me to describe everything for her. She want's to know what new items is out now and usually I need to ask her if she wants a certain item. I try not to talk loud, but she really enjoys me describing everything to her.

I have tons of patience so I don't mind waiting on people to get an item on the bottom shelf and will even ask if I can help them. I will crawl down there with the best of them and dig for what they need and can't get down on their knees to get it. I only ask that the person help ME up when I get my hands on it!

Now the screaming kids....I can't stand that. Mine did not raise cain when in a store. The kids old enough to know better are only doing the screaming to get what they want in the first place. Most parents will finally give in if they keep up the screaming long enough...I guess it gets embarrassing.

I just ignore the rude person...or I give them a big smile and tell them I hope they have a wonderful day.

Deb

• stephanie_in_ga
    15 years ago

I just don't like the personal chore of it. I don't like to go often, so I make a big plan and try to go every two weeks. It requires making a meal plan and a very thorough list to feed the 6 of us. So, I get frustrated trying to get my family to participate in the planning, getting ideas of what they'd like for meals so I don't get in a rut. They "don't care" when I make the list, but then ask for things later that I didn't get. Shoulda told me when I asked! I come home with a full minivan, it takes 3 hours, I go to 2-3 stores and take a cooler to keep cold foods. Then it takes me 1/2 a day to put it away. I hate that. But at least it's done for a while.

If I am in a bad mood, I know the grocery is not the place for me. The mood will get worse, I won't stay focused, and the job won't get done right. So if I can help it, I wait until my mood improves. I might have to take a little time to myself and find my Zen, get my mind ready. ;o)

Most of the time, people are polite and will correct it apologize if the commit a faux pas. Having said that, there is still one thing that will irritate the beejeebees out of me. In the parking lot, people walking diagonally across the driving lanes as slow as molassas while having a conversation. Then they slow to a stop in the middle and have a chat. They will look up, knowing full well cars are stopped waiting for them, and it's like it doesn't cross their mind they are in a parking lot not a park!! These are not physically limited people who cannot walk any faster, I am patient with that, they gotta do what they gotta do. I would get out and hold traffic for them. These offenders are young, tight jeans and high heals, toddler in the cart, bags piled everywhere, hands on their hips "I got all day to stand here and chat so that's what I'm gonna do." It is as if they are from another planet where this behavior is the norm b/c there is no indication that they know any better. Some days I just have to take a cleansing breath and remind myself that I don't want to hurt anyone. I really want to get out and explain to them "Welcome to our planet where we don't have reunions in parking lots."

• kittywhiskers
    15 years ago

How about an opinion from the other side of the fence. I work in a super WalMart. My pet peeve are people who decide they don't want the meat they have picked up, so stuff it behind some boxes on a shelf and if we are lucky we might find it before it starts to smell. Or decides they don't want the frozen food so they stick it on a shelf to thaw out so we have to throw it away. If you decide you don't want please hand it to the cashier and say I have changed my mind about this and she will see that it get put back where it belongs.
    Then there is the person who isn't happy with looking at the small appliance on display on the shelf, they have to open a box of the same item scatter the packing material all over the aisle and then walks away and leaves it there.
    Or the people that drops a jar and it breaks, accidents do happen we understand this, but it would be nice if you let us know so that we can clean it up before some slips and falls and get hurt.
    OK, I am done venting.
    Kittywhiskers

• User
    15 years ago

I've seen and been on both sides of the fence. Depending upon how well my prozac is working that day affects how far I can throw a person.....

I'M KIDDING!!!!!

Yes there are many rude people but there are far more kind people if you slow down and smile at them. Older folk, people with disabilities, even kids love a kind hello and smile.

• wantoretire_did
    15 years ago

Are there only a couple of us who hate the noise? We are inundated with music/advertising wherever we go. Then throw in a screaming child for extra aggravation! Shopping is not a mindless endeavor. It requires thinking. Along that line, going out for a meal shouldn't be an exercise in trying to talk above the music.

I for one don't need constant entertainment. Doesn't "corporate" listen? Or do they just tune it out like DH says I should..............

Senior citizens have become somewhat of a joke, but guess what, we spend money.

Not having any grand kids, I do tend to make a fool of myself laughing with the good-natured little ones. They mellow out the stress level :-)

Sponsored
Urban Upkeep LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's High Quality Painting Expert