SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cherryfizz

My New Toy

Cherryfizz
13 years ago

Woohooo I've advanced in the computer world just a tiny bit. I have my first printer/scanner and a wireless one at that!! A Canon PIXMA MP495 whatever that means LOL

I had Webtv for so long and I couldn't find a compatible printer because Webtv was a dinosaur, then my friend gave me her old Window 2000 computer and I couldn't find a printer for that either. Now I have this IBM laptop that my cousin was going to toss away because it was slow (she never updated or cleaned it) I bought myself a printer for my birthday!

I bought the printer on the weekend and it sat in the box and last night since nothing was on television because of the US Election results I thought I might try to get the printer going.

One of the only reasons I bought this printer was it came with a cable which my friend said was good because she said usually you have to pay for the cable separately now. So when I took the printer out of the box I didn't see any cable or ink. I was a little peeved thinking I would have to get someone to take me back to the store to return it. I called the store and said I couldn't find the cable or ink and the clerk told me to bring it back. I then asked him if it could be tucked away under the printer or something then he laughed and told me to open the door where the paper comes out. Hahaha this thing was so taped up and covered in plastic I couldn't even figure out where that was. I popped open the door and there were my missing items. I was so happy!

Here I am sitting down to read the manuals and the words all looked Greek to me. No plug in and print like the old dot matrix printer I was used to using in 1980's at work. Me and that printer were best friends. This manual talked about networks and security codes and WAP or WSP or something like that. Do this with the LAN cable but don't do this without it. What??????

I used to be the Queen of office equipment manuals and could troubleshoot just about everything. I think the comprehension part of my brain has left the building. The Network troubleshooting part manual was bigger than the set up manual.

I called my brother's house and since they live only 3 blocks away hoped he would be able to come over but when my SIL told him I needed help he just wanted to know what kind of ink it took and didn't say whether he was coming over. Okaaaay so I said goodbye.

I decided then to make a cabbage roll casserole for dinner even though it was already 8:30 at night. I kept staring at that printer though sitting on my table.

Then around 10 pm the phone rang it was one of my friends who said her husband was coming home from out of the country and she didn't want to be there when he came home so I said "come here and set my printer up" She laughed and said that is why she was going to come over anyway.

My friend doesn't even read the manual, plugs one cord into the wireless modem, one cord into the laptop, puts a disc in, then unplugs the cord from the laptop and away we go. Was it really that easy??? Why don't the manuals just say that? After thinking a bit I realized the network thing the manuals were talking about must be for when you have more than one computer using the printer. I have one computer so I didn't even meed the other info in the manuals.

So now I have my new printer set up what can I do with it? How do use your printer for crafts, making cards, printing labels, etc. I need tips and tricks please. I never knew printers were so noisy either. At work I have only used laser printers that are very quiet.

I moved the old computer monitor off the computer table in the kitchen and put the printer on it instead and it looks much better in there and now I don't have to look at that huge bulky desktop monitor.

I wonder what the next thing I buy will advance me in the world of technology. LOL What about an MP3 player - that is an IPod right? I still use my Sony Walkman with a cassette tape when I go for a walk. Hmmm somewhere in the attic I still have a brand new portable 8 track cassette tape player still in its box. Well not new per se but new as in rarely used because my Dad the next year bought me a quad speaker stereo system. I miss having a record player because I have a lot of records I would like to listen too. Now there is satellite radio everyone seems to be listening to. Good thing about waiting to advance - these items become less costly or an item gets passed down to me because someone bought a new toy.

Now I guess I should use my brain and see if I can figure out what I can do with this new printer.

Never did eat the cabbage roll casserole so will have it for dinner tonight. LOL Cooking sure is easier than figuring out how to set up a printer.

Anne

Comments (8)