What colors is the Exterior of your house?

kfca37

How often do you repaint? And if you repaint (or move), would you likely use the same colors again?

We have a stucco & wood trim typical 1924 California Bungalow. When we purchased it in 1973, the widow lady owner had just had it repainted a VERY soft grey/gray with an antique white trim. I always hated that combination, so blah, but let it go since house painting is expensive, and any excess time & money went to the interior.

About 10 years later, when the gray had sun-faded to an almost dirty white & there was some peeling, we had it professionally painted. After doing some color consulting, we went with a slightly greenish blue for the stucco, with a two color wood trim of a bright burgundy red & creamy white. I liked that combination so much that when we repainted 10 years ago, I went with the same exterior paint colors except this time a much brighter blue/green (I guess you'd call it "teal blue").

I'm pretty sure I would repaint with the same colors--- probably in another 5 years as it's holding well. I don't know what the neighborly consus is on our paint choices, but I get a kick out of the numerous teenagers passing by who have given us a big "thumbs up" on our color scheme.

SaveComment17Like
Comments (17)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
adellabedella_usa

We are required to have a minimum of 75% masonry and painted in earth tone colors. My painted colors are tan and brown with a varied red brick. I love houses with color. There is a street in an older neighborhood that has a varienty of colored houses in non-muted colors. My kids and I call it "Rainbow Land."

Save    
oldgardener_2009

Ours is cedar stained a natural color. In 15 years, my husband has put stain on it maybe twice.

Save    
monica_pa Grieves

Ours is white vinyl on upper floor and dark red bricks on bottom, black&grey roof and a red door.

Save    
linda_in_iowa

Mine is white siding with a beautiful blue door and shutters. I painted the door and shutters myself about 5 years ago. Before that the shutters were a very faded red and the door was white.

Save    
Marilyn_Sue

Our home is a sort of red brick. White columns on the porch with gray shutters and white windows. Very little to paint on our home, so have no plans to paint.

Sue

Save    
chisue

Our house has sections of white oversized brick, alternating with cream stucco sections; slate-y blue-grey roof; mahogany stained archtop entry door; bluestone gravel driveway.

Save    
cynic

White with black trim. Don't paint very often. Thinking about putting maintenance-free siding on it when I feel it needs painting again but I don't know what color I'd use.

Save    
patti43

Our villas have to be painted a cream color on the back side. You have a choice of what color you want the front. Since we have an end unit our whole house is cream with salmon/coral trim and shutters. The roof was light brown but they're re-roofing our building right now and we decided to go with a light grayish color. The replace the roof every 15 years and paint every 4. Paint job is free, roof isn't :-(

Save    
nanny98

Mine is a tan color with an off white trim. Have to paint, at least the trim next year... no color yet, but since we just put in white vinyl gates and short fence, we will most likely go with a whiter white. And more vinyl fence as $$$ become available.

Save    
nanny98

Forgot we also have some brick in sand tones. Boring, I know

Save    
azzalea

Oddly, both our houses are red brick on the first floor and white aluminum or vinyl above. Both have gray roofs. The country house has a green front door.

The only exterior painting we have is the wooden trim around our windows and our screens and storm sash (suburban house). We do it as needed. Usually about every 4-6 years.

Save    
nancylee_ky

My house is brownish brick. Roof,shutters and front door are black.

Save    
dirtundermyfingers

When we moved here the house was painted wood siding and the whole house was white. We put vinyl siding on and it is a pale yellow with bright white trim. When we put on a new roof 4 years ago it was a darker brown, but was never happy with the color. Thanks to a hail storm this summer we put on a new roof and it is multi colored lighter brown and looks a lot better than before. Funny thing is our old house was the same color, when we were deciding the colors for here we went with the same colors because we liked them so much.

Stacie

Save    
susanjf_gw

grey and white with lower brick...

living in detroit area whe have dozens of victorians all over the place...but the worse one is in our "downtown" area? bubblegum pink...thanks be it's faded slightky but not a pretty fade...

Save    
ruthieg__tx

Our home is brick with off white trim. We have a very large wooden deck in back.

Save    
joann23456

Dark gray with white trim. Not my favorite, but it costs a small fortune to paint it. We paint one side of the house about every other year, so the whole house gets painted about once every eight years.

Save    
lynn_d

White brick with forest green shutters and trim. I've thought about painting the door but hubby would faint, it is solid oak and cost a small fortune.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Painting Help! What Color Should I Paint My House Exterior?
Real homeowners get real help in choosing paint palettes. Bonus: 3 tips for everyone on picking exterior colors
Full Story
Color Palettes On Trend: Bold and Black Exterior House Color
All-black and coal-gray exteriors make a nonconformist statement on homes of any style and size
Full Story
Painting 5 Bright Palettes for Front Doors
Splash bold green, blue, orange or red on your front door, then balance it with a more restrained hue on the rest of the house
Full Story