SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alisande_gw

Another gravestone assignment (11 pics)

alisande
15 years ago

Here are a few pics from my latest assignment. This was very old, very tiny, and very remote cemetery--impossible to drive there. I had to hike up a long, steep hill.

Part of the hill:

{{!gwi}}

At the top of the hill:

As you can see, the place is terribly overgrown. I'm told an Eagle Scout made a project of cleaning it up some years ago, but the brush has taken over again. Here are other views:

I had to fight brambles to read some of the stones, but a few were remarkably well preserved. Like this one:

{{!gwi}}

It's sad to see what has become of stones erected by grieving families to remember and honor those they loved. Many stones had sunk so far into the ground that only the tips remained. I tripped over them, as they are covered by leaves and grass. Here's one that didn't sink, but broke instead:

{{!gwi}}

Then I went on to a much larger, beautifully maintained cemetery. It was too big to locate the requested graves, but I spent some time photographing the old section. Here, too, I found some broken headstones. We know a few things about this person, but not his (or her) name:

{{!gwi}}

This stone is hard to read, but my eye was caught by "Our Darling." So touching. The name looks like Sadie to me. What do you think? Five years old.

And finally, quite a few wives died young, very likely in childbirth.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Comments (18)