SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alisande_gw

TV isn't the only thing that lacks realism.

alisande
16 years ago

The thread about Law & Order SUV inspired this one because I recently read a book that had a jarringly unrealistic scene. Okay, I know fiction is fiction. But some fictionÂlike fantasy, for instanceÂisn't supposed to reflect reality, and other kinds should.

The book I read is JA Konrath's Rusty Nail, part of his Lt. Jacqueline "Jack" Daniels series. I was doing fine with most of the book, although the murders involved unimaginable torture that I really could have done without. But then we came to a scene where two men are tied in chairs at the mercy of a serial killer. She starts with the first guy, imbedding long rusty nails in his thigh and then using heavy-duty wire cutters (or lopping shears, I forget which) to cut off the fingers of his right hand, which she then cauterizes with a blow torch.

She leaves to go round up some more victims, and what happens next with the guys? They start bantering. Yes, they make jokes with each other. Ironically, up until then humor was one of the things I liked best about the book. But I lost faith in Konrath as an author at that point.

Anyone else read this series? Or experience something similar with another book?

Comments (5)