SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
michelle_phxaz

Do you stock up?

michelle_phxaz
12 years ago

On what? If I find my favorite kind of kitty litter which is hard to find (cedar scented Tidy Cat) I buy the store out. I will also clear the shelves on something I see going on clearance that I use or like a lot, like a certain flavor of gum, I went to every checkout at Target and went through every box to find my flavor (they mix them all up). I can have 10 bags of chips if they are on sale, and cookies or crackers too.

And clothes. If I find a shirt I like at Old Navy or other inexpensive outlet, I buy them in every color I like. Same with shorts or shoes. I have the same shoes in every color just because they are so comfy. I love Chuck Taylor All Stars and have them in every color. So much fun.

My mom said I get it from my grandma, she was raised during the depression and when she died they found hundreds of canned tomatoes in her basement.

What do you stock up on?

Comments (29)

• lovemymimi
    12 years ago

Hi Michelle,

I'm guilty also of buying multiples of the same top or shoes if they're right for me...meaning comfort!
    I'm just at that point of my life that feelin' comfy is where it's at!

• jeaninwa
    12 years ago

Not like that. And, for two reasons. #1 I don't have the money to buy that much. #2 We live in a very very small apt and there just isn't the space to keep it.
    If I find a great buy on something I might buy 2 of them.

• Related Discussions

When do So. Ca. Nurseries Stock up for Fall ?

Q

Comments (3)
    I realized as soon as I'd posted that, despite how nice and cool it may be now, it could turn in a heartbeat, so best to wait until most chances of real heat have passed. And, as you say, better selection in nurseries then, too. Thanks to you both for responding.:>)
    ...See More

stock up

Q

Comments (30)
    Moni, our new house has a gas stove and a wood stove in the fireplace. We had those last time too. We actually have all kinds of camping equipment. As luck would have it, the camping was in the camper or in the garage behind the camper. I could have gotten to it if I *had* to. The garage was cold and dark and I chose not to go out there. During our first power outage due to an ice storm in 2000, I was sick and my then 7 mo baby was also sick. We were in an all electric house. We had the little camp stove out, but it was just so cold and uncomfortable that I needed something easy to prepare. Every power outage has been a learning experience.
    ...See More

Trader Joe's seasonal items - stock up

Q

Comments (10)
    My favorite is the fresh cranberry orange relish. It's in their refrigerated section. They also have a freshly prepared regular cranberry sauce, but I love the cranberry orange sauce. It's just cranberries ground up with oranges and some sugar. I buy at least 3-4 tubs each season and freeze a couple for turkey dinners throughout the year. Thanks for reminding me that I need to make a trip to pick some up.
    ...See More

grocery shopping ? on sale, do you

Q

Comments (25)
    Yep, I am QUEEN of that! I try to also use a coupon witha good sale! But I think DH would kill me if I came home with 6 boxes of cereal! lol We don't have that much room! I usually buy 2-3 depending on the product and how fast we'll use it. He talks about getting a new fridge and putting the old one in the garage, but I know I'd fill that sucker up way too fast!! The local community center just asked for "Spring" baskets for the kids-no candy, just tolietries, and some games or little toys. I throw all my duplicate bathroom stuff into one box in my closet. I was able to fill up a pretty nice basket using just "extras" I picked up on sale! I also pick up little toys, markers, crafts for DD, if I see a good sale. I call it the rainy day box. When we are bored or run out of stuff to do-I try and find something "new" to play with from the box. The other day it was white playdoh-which now I realize gets dirty looking REALLY fast!!
    ...See More
  • brightonborn
    12 years ago

All stores and supermarkets in particular run sale items every three months...So if you missed out on the sponges for .99 cents let's say..in a few months they'll be on sale again. I don't have the space to buy so much all at once. If you live in a rural area I can see where it would be a necessity to stock up .

• mojomom
    12 years ago

Coffee. It's the one thing I don't want to risk running out of unexpectedly. I don't mind making an emergency trip to the store at 7 p.m.,but not at 5:30 a.m!

• dotmom
    12 years ago

My stock up is a little different. Every fall I get the urge to stock up the pantry with food and things To "get us through a blizzard"
    If coffee is on sale, I;ll plan 2 -3 trips to the store that week and buy a can each time. That is one thing (besides cat food) I live in fear of running out of.

• arkansas girl
    12 years ago

I do stock up on some things. Right now I have about a dozen of my hair conditioner that was discontinued, found them at Big Lots. With prices going through the roof these days, I do stock up on things that are on sale like I have several Maxwell House JUGS that I found for $6..it's pretty much double that regular price. If I find a pair of shoes I really like, I'll buy a back up pair.

• azzalea
    12 years ago

Maybe it has something to do with trying to move from one house to the other, but I try NOT to buy too much ahead. Definitely trying to get rid of as much clutter as I can.

Now, of course there are some things... I got tired of paying supermarket prices for the incredibly shrinking rolls of toilet paper, so I did buy an industrial-sized case of it at the janitor supply house. Even with my DD shopping at MomMart for her condo, I figure we've got enough TP to last us about 8 months--LOL

• Adella Bedella
    12 years ago

I do stock up. Dh doesn't get it. He thinks I'm a hoarder at times, but really it just the way I was raised. You know what stuff you need or use so why not buy it when it is on sale. When I realized coffee was going up in price a while back, I bought a lot when I found it on sale. I've bought it as much as $2-4 per can cheaper.

I also have toilet paper I've stocked up on. The rolls just don't last. My bathroom alone goes through a roll a day. I buy several packages at one time.

My kids are still young. They are always needing things for treasure boxes, fundraisers, parties, etc. I buy stuff after the holidays when it is on major clearance. I probably bought 50 packages of glowsticks the other day at 75% off. They will get used here or at school. They are also useful in emergency situations.

• gazania_gw
    12 years ago

On food items, not so much. If it is a really good buy, or something we like a lot and it is only available at a place we seldom get to, I will buy a little extra.

On clothes I am like some other posters. I have several alike tops and shoes in different colors. That LL BEAN Corduroy Big Shirt for instance is about to take over a whole closet. Every time they introduce a new color, I can't resist.

• lydia1959
    12 years ago

The only thing I stock up on is hairspray. I'll buy maybe 4 cans when it is on sale (less than half price).

Like others have said, I don't really have a lot of room to store stuff.

• Sally Brownlee
    12 years ago

I stock up on several things when the deal is good...laundry soap, toilet paper, toothpaste and deodorant, shampoo to name few.
    I also routinely stock up on meat. I almost always buy in bulk and break down to serving sizes.
    When stores have sales like 10 for 10, I load up. A few weeks ago I bought a bunch of brownie mixes 10 for $10. I had 4 .50 off coupons so I got 10 for .80 each. My mom thoughtI was crazy, but after taking a couple to work and a couple at home....not that many left. Sure beats the heck out of a box a tastykakes.
    My pantry, freeezer and cleaning supply closet is always full. I hate going to the store...I want to have it at my fingertips whenever I need it.

• jel48
    12 years ago

I do. Particularly on food items. Like many others, put it down to the way I was raised. I grew up on a farm, and my mom kept a well stocked fruit cellar (canned goods and root vegetables) and two full (and full-sized) freezers. I don't have a root cellar, but I do have a well stocked freezer and several shelves of pantry items. I stock up when things are on sale.

And I don't think that's a bad thing, especially in these days of jobs that can disappear in a blink! My daughter left a decent job to move halfway across the country two and a half years ago when her husband got a new job on the east coast. It was over a year before she got a new job and I guess she's a little like me because she said those well stocked shelves came in pretty handy when money was short!

• minnie_tx
    12 years ago

Yes, on different things I've learned that sometimes you find an item you like and when going back to get more - maybe a month later - forget it they dont have it or carry it anymore. I love the Knorr Asian Teriyaki noodles (99 cents) sometimes on the shelves sometimes not. I must have at least 15 envelopes now (check the use by dates)
    Another thing. I cant find are the panties I used to like I guess you'd call them granny panties. I hate all the new thigh high cuts etc. Finaly found the style I like at Dollar General - Dixie Belle 2 in a pkg for $5. I have a drawer full now and anytime I'm in the store I get another pack. I just wish I could find them in cotton. Stores used to have one from a package hanging by themselves so you could see what was in a pkg but not anymore. I dont know how many I've bought that looked right on the package but not right when you open them up (sent so many off to goodwill)

• vala55
    12 years ago

I used to always stock up on sales especially paper products. It's just me now and I don't cook..except for breakfast twice a week. I have never had chips in my home as a regular item, maybe buy one when we used to BBQ or go camping as a treat. Looks like they would get old. I saw in the paper a couple of weeks ago that chips were at the top of the food list for studies on weight gain, I don't need that. I occasionally buy a small bag of Cheetos with a Subway.

• monica_pa Grieves
    12 years ago

I stock up on sales at the supermarket. I've got the "sale" timing for a couple of things that I buy in quantity to last thru to the next sale.
    Notably, my "hard to find Amaretto" coffee creamer and Thomas' English muffins at buy-one-get one free. Both items freeze well between sales.

• cynic
    12 years ago

If the price is cheap, I stock up. Especially if something is free or they pay me to buy it.

I've always kept a "pantry" with staples. I can't see any sense at all to making a special trip to the store to get one item. At that rate, I'll make something else or do without.

• Fun2BHere
    12 years ago

Fiber One Cereal. It's $5.19 a box. If I find it on sale, I'll buy as many boxes as I can get because we go through a box a week. For six months, I was able to buy it through Amazon's subscribe and save program for about $3.00 per box. I bought 12 boxes at a time. Unfortunately, they cancelled the item. I'm so disappointed. I don't understand why cereal is $5.00 a box anyway. That seems ridiculously expensive.

• nanny98
    12 years ago

I wrote a few days ago about finding sweatsirts that were "perfect" and I bought two. Went back and bought 3 more plus 2 jacket ones. Now where am I going to store the extra's in this motor home for the next four months? Plus, I haven't been in a commissary for years...oh the temptations

I am really contributing to the economy here, as I also bought new dishes and silverware...and the old with missing pieces will be gracing one of the thrift stores soon.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    12 years ago

I do on occasion, especially if it is a good sale. I do with certain clothes, I found the most comfortable pants and capris at Old Navy and I went back and bought several pair when they were on sale in the colors they had, I live in those! I will also do that if I find the perfect pjs.
    My husband will if he finds something he really likes he will stock up on it. We have limited pantry space here till I get the kitchen redone so we have to limit it some.

• curlysue
    12 years ago

I use the heck out of coupons and I price match at Walmart, so if I can get a great deal on something that we use all the time, I will stock up on it. I'm not an extreme couponer or anything, but if I have a coupon and a sale for something we use, I will get 4 or 5 of the item. My goal is to never pay full price for anything. We are newly empty nesters, so I have some spare room if I need it, I don't plan on it, but you never know when I might get the deal of the century. I'm ready.

• marie_ndcal
    12 years ago

Use to stock up on much more than used when living in the mountains. Now just buy may an extra, mainly because just don't need it, also like to try new things. Over the years have given/thrown away hundreds of dollars of stuff. Wish i had that money in the bank now.

• oldgardener_2009
    12 years ago

First and foremost, my diet Pepsi, also TP and paper towels, soap, toothpaste/floss, cat food/litter, tea and coffee...things I wouldn't want to be without.

Otherwise, my pantry is pretty well stocked in case we get snowed in or something, which is not likely, but we did get snowed in once years ago and had to live off Christmas cookies for a few days. LOL

• cheri2008
    12 years ago

yes, if it something I get at a really good buy, and is something we will use..I like saving money, and also like having on hand... I try to stay out of the grocery store, it really cost a lot to have to pick up just one or two items... as I always come away with more... so if I can have it on hand... all the better !

• suzieque
    12 years ago

One time I stocked up on kitty litter; we use a lot of it with our brood :-)

I had about 8 or 10 bags (20 lbs each) of clay litter (not the scoopable kind) and stored it in the basement. Well, we had a huge rainstorm and the basement flooded (never had before). What an unbelievable mess (and waste).

Haven't done that since. Of course I could store it someplace else, but I just don't have the room.

• pekemom
    12 years ago

Using coupons I have enough shampoo, deodorant & body wash
    to last quite a while. I have other stuff too, but mostly it's those 3.

• jannie
    12 years ago

I don't stock up on food. I'd rather go out shopping several times a week, let the store keep the food there, and I can always buy it fresher. On the other hand, if a find a blouse or shoes I really like, I'll buy two or three more in different colors. I do buy paper goods (toilet paper and paper towels) in those big multi-packs. I never run out. It's a good feeling.

• cwnev
    12 years ago

Depends. I do stock up on tissues, has to be kleenex and the triply ply kind. I have year around allergies and go through a couple boxes a week. Reg price at the stores are around 2.50 a box. This week, at one store it is 10 for 10. I buy 20 at a time. The sale lasts usually 2 weeks and when I buy, I will go maybe 2 or 3 times... that usually lasts me till the sale comes back around again. When I buy staples, usually when we are out, I look for a good price and stock up about 5 to 10, like canned tomatoes. We use a lot during the winter months.

Broths, I buy several at a time too. Other than that, no, I don't stock up. I work in grocery stores and see the clearance items first before they even get marked down, so will pick up them then. Or I buy as needed. My DH now, he stocks up on 1/2 price meat. Our safeway marks down meat on the last day of sale... he watches for things to go on sale and will go back and buy them out. We have TONS of salmon in the freezer. Plus other meats. So we shop out of our freezer for dinner ideas.

• dirtundermyfingers
    12 years ago

Dotmom, I am like you, I always stock up in case of a blizzard, in fact usually go grocery shopping the day before a storm is going to hit. Also always stock up on groceries that are on sale. We live half an hour from a decent grocery store. Ours here is outrageous, an example is a package of hash browns is 5.00 and ten pounds of flour is 6.00. So when there is a sale, I stock up. In the winter time I don't go to the grocery more than every two weeks.

Stacie

• tami_ohio
    12 years ago

Nanny98, store it all under the bed! DH likes Green Mtn coffee. The last time we went to Vermont, we came home with over 10# of it. No where to put it except under the bed. Every time we went to bed, all we could smell was coffee! I don't like the taste, but it's a good thing I like the smell of it!

Yes, we stock up on stuff. I have two big freezers full of meat & stuff. Cabinets are full of the canned stuff we use. Shop at Sam's or Costco for paper products, ect.