SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cherryfizz

This Is Anne - Coming to You from...

Cherryfizz
15 years ago

My Computer! Wheeeee...

Finally, this thing is up and running. Wasn't easy but here I am.

I really did not thing this would happen. LOL Do you know after I dropped the computer off to get the Ethernet card put in I lost the power cord? I looked everywhere and it must have fallen off my lap when I got out of the van to go grocery shopping on Thursday. When I went to pick up my computer on Friday at PC Outfitters I asked if they sold power cords and the tech went to the back and gave me 2 new power cords for free. I really like the guys at this computer shop. Whatever questions you have they don't rush you and answer everything and give good advice too. Wonderful customer service and a breath of fresh air compared to the customer service at Bell. LOL

When I asked again about security and told the tech who waited on me I didn't have any virus protection he sent the computer into the workshop and asked a tech to download AVG for me so I would be protected since they told me not to install Bell's security. The tech came back out and said I needed to get the Windows Updates first because as of then the system didn't support AVG. He said he put the AVG set up icon on the desktop for me.

When I got home I called my friend Donna to come over to put the install the Bell DSL. First she had to change the telephone jack in the kitchen because we must have hit the jack when we moved the fridge and I wasn't getting a dial tone. She forgot to bring the new telephone jack with her so she had to take the telephone jack from the living room where my Webtv was plugged into. Oh No! LOL We had a good laugh because she was cursing and swearing because she had a difficult time with the telephone jacks. She said nothing ever comes easy for us does it. LMAO We have gotten ourselves in some pretty funny situations since i first met Donna the first day of high school. As bad as things can get we always laugh ourselves silly about them.

Finally after getting herself off the floor and cooling herself off from her hotflash she started to install the internet. LOL Then she ran into another problem. There was no way, no how the user password Bell gave me would take. Reluctantly I called Bell Tech Service and then I handed the phone to Donna because I didn't want to talk to another person from there. My blood had boiled enough from talking to them. Lucky Donna, she got to talk to a Canadian tech from Moncton, New Brunswick. She gave Donna a new password and then talked her through the installation and then she disabled the wireless connection on her end so now I just have the Ethernet and don't have to worry about anyone using my wireless connection.

Donna then started the Windows Updates before she went home which was just after midnight. There were 70 new Windows Updates and it didn't finish updating until 2:00 am. Donna was staying up to clean her house because she was having company today so she called me just after the updates finished. We then did the AVG installation and I started a "whole computer" scan. I was still sitting here at 4:30 am watching this thing scan thinking it would end any minute. Nope. I eventually went to bed and got up at 10:00 when Donna called. The AVG scanned my computer until 8:30 am.

Afer the scan finished Donna helped me to download Mozilla Firefox. I went to Facebook first to add a friend and then I came to the KT to post. Then I looked at the time and I had to get offline because I had some old school friends coming over so we could walk over to our old grade school which will be torn down shortly to build a new state of the art and the "greenest" school to be built in Canada and to be called the Dr. David Suzuki Elementary School.

There weren't many old students from when we went to Princess Anne who attended the get-together. When hands were raised to see how many people were from the 1960's there was just a handful. I was going to submit lots of school pictures and report cards from when my siblings and I went there but forgot to do so. There were no pictures from the time we went there. When a Windsor Star reporter saw our hands go up as being from the earliest grades at the school he asked if he could talk to one of us. My good friend and old pal Dave pointed his finger at me. "Talk to her" he said. Thanks Dave! The reporter asked how I felt about the school being torn down and what memories did I have. I said one memory that sticks out was being given the strap and he wrote that down! He asked why I was given the strap and it was because I made fun of a student who didn't have his homework done and he was going go get into trouble from our "mean" teacher. When the time came to hand in our homework I realized then I had done the wrong pages in the book so I got the strap for what I said to the other student and because I did the wrong homework. Ouch. Shy, quite as a churchmouse (normally) Anne got the strap. LOL The reporter wrote - got the strap for fooling around. LOLOL Not me! I also told him most of my siblings went to the school and 2 of my nieces. I then mentioned this would be the second time this week my last name would be in the paper. He asked what I thought of the new school and I thought it was wonderful to have a school like this in our neighbourhood and it would be something to "brag" about.LOL I can say the stupidest things at times and regret I say them. LOL

I come home excited to get online and then my brother came over and he went online instead showing me YuTubes and the pictures he has on Flickr, etc. Then we went out for dinner and I just came on line a bit ago.

I do miss sitting in my comfy chair with my Webtv keyboard on my lap and sitting at this desk feels like I am at work LOL. Going to take some getting used to but I am excited none the less to have the internet on the computer. I already looked at lots of pictures here at the KT in the "Show me thread" My brother said I need some kind of picture "thingy" so I can put pictures on from my camera and then put them on Photobucket and then on here.

This computer wants to scan now and I don't know if I can be on it while it scans. I have so much to learn. LOL Good thing Donna knows a lot about computers and I am sure I will be asking a lot of questions here and at the Computer Forum.

Anne

Comments (19)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022