SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hope_full

Flirty or friendly? Need another woman's opinion...

hope_full
15 years ago

My husband and I (we're both in our 50s) have been married almost three years now. My husband has a woman friend (15 years younger than us) who (IMHO) is a flirt, but he doesn't see it.

She seems to be happily married and her husband is a nice man (or so it seems). Many times, we had the two of them to our home for dinner and many times, we went to their home for dinner.

She's very pretty and a little cocky. Here's the question. She's always thought that my husband is too good for me and makes "jokes" about how lucky I was to "latch onto someone like him." She's frequently critical of my looks, my income (he makes a lot more than I do), my career, my ideals, my personality, etc.

That's bad enough, but several weeks ago, when a guest in my home, she started this string of insults (always guised in the form of humor) and then she scooched her chair over to him and sat next to him (hip to hip). While sitting next to him, she literally ran her fingers through his hair and looked him in the eyes and said something about his "pretty black hair."

I was sitting at the opposite end of the table and I was dumbfounded. That night, I told him I didn't want her coming to our home again. He agreed that some of her behavior wasn't appropriate. Next time he saw her, he told her that she shouldn't be touching him like that. She replied that I was over-reacting.

She also told him that she has no interest in him and that she's happily married and that she just likes to "touch people" that she loves and that she thinks of him like a brother. She said the insults were just "fun" and why can't I take a "joke".

What would YOU do about all this? And do you think it's being a foolish friend or a real flirt?

HF

Comments (53)