SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bluhannah

Rant about Check Card Holds at the Pump

bluhannah
13 years ago

Purchased gas using check card yesterday at a BP station..paying at the pump. This is a spending account set up for this very purpose and I monitor it frequently. This a.m. found an OD ATM charge explanation on my primary account for something like $54.00..(this would be overdraft protection on the spending account) and the purchase price of $25.51 entered on the spending account. Then, when the 25.00 amount cleared, the overage was credited to the spending account. I do not want my gas station doing my banking for me...this one has enough troubles of their own!

I immediately called the bank for an explanation...learning the transaction at the BP Pump for 25.51 had created a hold for payment on the account for $75.00 causing the overdraft...which was immediately reversed by the bank and balances restored to normal. Bank personnel stated she had seen this quite frequently lately with gas stations placing holds upward of $75 and more on purchases at the pump.

Needless to say I was furious they would place a hold on the account for any amount...greater than $1.00...the account was substantial enough to cover the amount due, but not for a hold of 75.00...

It is a station near our home, so I stopped in today to make a purchase in my car...going in to swipe my check card, using credit instead of debit (costs them more too) and made clerk aware of what had happened...she was very apologetic and gave me a 1-800 number to call. She said they had no control over what the hold is at the store and she wasn't aware it was so much...I am dialing that number tomorrow! Anyone else with similiar experiences using check cards at the pump...kinda defeats the purpose if I have to go inside! So now, regardless of where I use a check card, it will be swiped as a credit purchase!

Comments (17)