SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lydia1959

Need help with tactful wording.....

lydia1959
15 years ago

I am making little 'extra information' cards to include with the invites for my Mom and Dad's 50th anniversary party.

The cards will have directions to the restaurant, will ask guests to think of something they remembered about my parents for a memory jar, a plea for them to RSVP and also something about gifts.

Originally I had planned on having a Toys 4 Tots barrel and would ask guests to bring a new unwrapped toy instead of a gift. DSIL thinks we should ask for donations of cash so my parents could put it towards a new TV. Is there a way to tactfully ask for that? Honestly my parents could go out today and buy 10 brand new TV's... they really don't need the money.

Would it be better to just not mention anything about gifts at all and then if people ask, mention the donation for a TV idea? I am trying to go along with DSIL's idea since I've done most of the planning and decisions up to this point. TIA.

Comments (26)

• trinitytx
    15 years ago

I don't know of a tactful way to ask for money. I just would leave that out. If somebody asks, perfect opportunity, but other than that I wouldn't go there.
    Love the idea about toys for tots! That's always a big winner.

Trin

• alisande
    15 years ago

I agree with Trin, and I'll add that if they can afford multiple TVs it might be best to scrap the cash donation idea entirely.

• Related Discussions

Need help remembering words to a song

Q

Comments (8)
    Is it this? Baby Bumble Bee I'm bringing home my baby bumble bee Won't my Mommy be so proud of me I'm bringing home my baby bumble bee - OUCH!! It stung me!! I'm squishin' up my baby bumble bee Won't my Mommy be so proud of me I'm squishin' up my baby bumble bee - EW!! What a mess!! I'm lickin' up my baby bumble bee Won't my Mommy be so proud of me I'm lickin' up my baby bumble bee - ICK!! I feel sick!! I'm barfin' up my baby bumble bee Won't my Mommy be so proud of me I'm barfin' up my baby bumble bee - OH!! What a mess!! I'm wipin' up my baby bumble bee Won't my Mommy be so proud of me I'm wipin' up my baby bumble bee - OOPS!! Mommy's new towel!! I'm wringin' out my baby bumble bee Won't my Mommy be so proud of me I'm wringing out my baby bumble bee - Bye-Bye baby bumble bee!!
    ...See More

Help needed involving Word perfect & Microsoft word

Q

Comments (1)
    I think I solved my own problem. I went back to Microsoft Word, and pushed open. Then I can change or add.
    ...See More

Invitation wording help needed

Q

Comments (2)
    "Please join us for a casual picnic lunch in our yard after the services of dedication for our daughter. Service at 10:30 at the whatever church if you wish to attend, and lunch at noon at our house. Please come to one or both events, we would love to share our blessing with you."
    ...See More

Need help with Flip Words Answer.

Q

Comments (8)
    Magic,I am sorry, I went back to the game and was playing it. I didn't realize you had posted again. I have the full version. I went ahead and bought it several months back, very addicting. I failed an online course because of this stupid game. LOL. But, I will get you a link for the free game, don't down load one, you can just play one for fun and see if you like it. Bee right back.
    ...See More
  • maybee_gw
    15 years ago

Always, always...request no gifts at an anniversary party like this!!!!

• vannie
    15 years ago

There is no tactful way to ask for money, especially for someone who doesn't need it. No matter how you word it, it will appear tacky and tasteless and crude. Let them enjoy their guests w/o worrying about having offended someone, b/c that's what it would do.

• wanda_va
    15 years ago

I wouldn't mention gifts at all. If your parents have been married for 50 years, they are of the generation that never, ever suggested gifts...and certainly not money. People will want to bring gifts; after all, being married for 50 years is a noteworthy accomplishment.

I love the idea of the memory jar! Please be sure there are zillions of pictures, and a video if possible. I'm so thankful that I have a video of my parents' 40th anniversary party, and so sorry I don't have one for the other parties.

Enjoy the event and the memories!

• OklaMoni
    15 years ago

I agree, don't mention gifts. If peeps ask you, you can suggest anything you feel like. If they ask your DSIL, then it's their turn to make suggestions. :)

Moni

• sue_va
    15 years ago

Please, no mention of money or gifts or Toys for Tots. The guests should not be burdened with bringing anything. Your parents may be able to buy XX TVs, but not everybody has money to spare. Let them come and enjoy the evening. If they bring a gift, that is their choice.

Or there is always the old tried & true: Your presence is your gift, noted on the invitation

I saw a license plate a couple days ago that said WD50YRS. Nice touch.

Sue

• joyfulguy
    15 years ago

Sue VA,

Are folks at that age interested in X-rated TV?

I think the only reference to gift should be sort of like the , " ... your presence is your gift" idea.

Good wishes for a happy occasion - and have a blast at your bash!

ole joyful

• ruthieg__tx
    15 years ago

I think the Please, no gifts is the way to go. If it's not your intention to burden everyone with the gift thing then make sure everyone knows that..they will so appreciate it.

• lydia1959
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks everyone, that is what I was thinking.

I'll put 'Cards only please' or 'Your presence is the only presents needed' or something similar.

• teresava
    15 years ago

We have friends having a wedding anniv party soon and their invitation said something to the effect "we already have so much, the best gift would be your presence or if you wish a donation to your favorite charity.

Thought that was nice touch.

• evatx
    15 years ago

I agree there's so tactful wording to use when asking for gifts. The folks above have good ideas.

• hounds_x_two
    15 years ago

No, there's no tactful, tasteful way to ask for money.

• izzie
    15 years ago

I personally like the Toys for Tots idea but with these hard times it may not be such a good idea, not everyone has the $ for extras. My parents had their 50th this past summer. My mom said no gifts, no party, but we did spring for a nice cake and had a open house with simple snacks and such. My sisters and I did have a special gift. We got together and did a scrap book with pictures of when they were younger and all family up until present.(it was about 40 pages or so) It was hours and hours of work. We had to sneak in their house and borrow all the old pictures get copies.

You may want to ask friends and relatives if they have any special pictures of them and family pictures, make a copy and bring to party. They give alot to talk about and you get some funny stories behind them.

• country_bumpkin_al
    15 years ago

OMG...how & why did X-RATED TV manage to be brought into this conversation?

To answer your question, I don't think I would mention gifts at all. I'm sure some people will bring gifts, but they shouldn't feel obligated.

• pris
    15 years ago

Country Bumpkin---

Look at the poster above OJ's. (su va) His reference to x rated was his tongue in cheek reference to her post about x number of tv's.

• jayokie
    15 years ago

izzie has a great idea....I know because I did for my folks' 50th :-0 My sis & I gathered pix of all kinds (bro was a drag, but that's another story) I'm sure the parents knew we were *up* to something, but they didn't see the end products until a few days before the reception (didn't want them surprised) I say "products" because it ended up going into the 2nd album! I started with pix of the g'parents, then parents pre-wedding, wedding pix (1 snapshot), and added pix of them, the kids as they arrived, as we were growing up, then our families.

These were put on display and a BIG hit. Many people went back more than once to look at them. Also a big hit was an idea I had seen at a 60th anniversary years before. On poster board, I put a pix of the folks. From there, one of each of us kids with colored ribbon 'linking' us to the parents. From, for example, my pix, I used the same ribbon color to pix of my kids, and g'kids. A picture genealogy. I repeated it for my siblings, using different colors for each of us. I used netting with gold 'sparkles' & some ivy to dress up the posture board. It was placed on an easel in another other of the fellowship hall and was also a success.

Both of these were well worth the all the hours spent in assembling them.

I like the Memory Jar idea and agree with others who have said "no gifts, please...."

• country_bumpkin_al
    15 years ago

Tongue in cheek or not, because the word "RATED" was used, it gave the post (as always) a sexual "overtone".

• curlysue
    15 years ago

I think it is a great ideal to maybe send a note with the invitation that if anyone has old pics to please bring copies to the party-tell them you are making a scrap book and would like to get all the pictures you can for it.
    We did this for my Mom and Dad's 50th-we got so many pictures that we had never seen before. We also videotaped the party. A prescious memory.
    We asked everyone not to bring gifts, but of course a lot of people did.

• maybee_gw
    15 years ago

I agree with cb...one poster seems to always have his mind in the gutter....it's a little irritating to say the least.

• susanjf_gw
    15 years ago

no gutter, just a mis-read line...lol...

• country_bumpkin_al
    15 years ago

Nope..didn't "mis" read anything! If I see the word X-RATED I think one thing...and that's exactly what the poster wanted or it would have read "Are folks at that age interested in X-NUMBER of TV's instead of "X-RATED TV (and what does AGE have to do with how many TV's a person might want?)

I used this little button back in August (on a thread about tipping and yes..it's still there). Someone should have had it on then and that same someone should have it on NOW!
    {{!gwi}}

• minnie_tx
    15 years ago

i wouldn't say anyhing like cards only just send the invite and let tem decide if they want to bring a gift or cash.

• littlebug5
    15 years ago

I agree with you country bumpkin. And that's why I never ever read anything written by that poster - I just skip over it. Keeps my blood pressure even . . . .

• cynic
    15 years ago

First of all, I enjoy Joyful's humor and wit. I like that he can maintain a lighthearted look at life after the challenges he's faced. I am proud to consider him a friend even though we haven't met face to face. I have found however, through these years I've lived, that you can say "good morning" and offend someone but I don't think it should stop anyone from brightening another's day.

That said, considering this is a 50th anniversary and since they brought up sex now, I'm reminded of something my uncle said to my dad after my mother died. "What you should do is find yourself a nice girl and get married again. Just for companionship. Let's face it, there's no sex after 55 anyway!" I thought it was so funny and my dad was so embarrassed! He was certainly my favorite uncle. Had a great outlook on life despite having had a rough life.

Back to the topic... If the parents are well off, at least comfortable, and have everything they want, do they want trinkets? If not, I'd really emphasise the no gifts, with something like we have all we need and would really prefer your presence to your presents

I do like the Toys for Tots idea though. You could add something like please don't but if you must, please make a donation to your favorite charity or send a toy to Toys for Tots. You know your invitees best though. Maybe subtle and tactful won't work. And of course someone could be offended. I have a couple relatives with the oh that doesn't apply to me attitude on things. But I would also not stress out over it. Plan on having a good time, go with your gut instinct and enjoy yourselves!

Best wishes to the couple too!

• wildchild
    15 years ago

I'm old school. There is no tactful way to mention gifts,no gifts,money gifts or donations in lieu of gifts on an invitation. Requesting anything other then the guests presence is tactless. Also if they're close enough to know your parents well enough to contribute to a memory jar then they are close enough for you to call personally and ask them if they would be so kind as do this. An alternate method would be to have "memory cards" or slips they could write on left in plain sight at the event. They could then choose to write something if they wished to.

This is a celebration of your parents day. It should be not turned into a charity event and guests should decide for themselves whether to bring a gift or not. If the gifts are unwanted or unneeded they should be accepted with thanks and quietly donated by your parents if they so choose.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022