SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
linda_in_iowa

I am finally home!

linda_in_iowa
13 years ago

I posted Monday about spending the morning in the ER at Stanford. On Tuesday morning my hand was more swollen and painful, despite taking the antibiotics I was prescribed. I flew home that day as planned and as soon as I got home, I went to the ER here. After about 4 hours there and many blood draws and x-rays of my hand, I was admitted for a course of IV antibiotics. My doctor finally discharged me today. My finger looks terrible and I may have a hole in the skin after the wound heals but I haven't needed anything for pain since Wednesday afternoon. On Wednesday morning, one of my favorite orthopedists came to my room and used a needle to open the wound and he squeezed lots of gunk out. Wow! He didn't numb it for me and it was very painful to get it drained but once the gunk was out my finger started to return to normal size.

For those who missed my original post, I think the infection started with a small crack on my skin and when I pumped gas a couple of times on my trip from the Bay Area to Bakersfield, I may have picked up germs from the handle of the gas pump. I always use a hand sanitizer after I pump gas but I only use it on my palms because I have eczema on the tops of my hands. No one knows for sure where the infection came from but when it was cultured it grew MRSA, an increasing common staph. MRSA stays in a person's body forever. I wash my hands often but this is just another reminder to wash your hands after touching gas pumps, doors, anything that others touch when you are out in public.

Comments (9)