SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
linda_wayman

She wanted to give us money!!!!! not!!!! long

Linda Wayman
15 years ago

DH got a phone call a little while ago. He was in the next room and I could hear his voice, but wasn't paying attention, so I didn't hear what he said. He finally brought me the phone and asked me to talk to this woman because he couldn't understand what she was saying.

She was sooo polite and acted like she really cared about how I was doing today. Then she told me she was from the Fraudulant Recovery Department for our bank. She asked if I remember the money that was fraudently taken from our account a while back. There wasn't any, but I thought what the heck, she cares so much about how I'm doing that I can at least give her a few minutes of my time.. She had some foreign accent, but I'm not sure what kind it was.

I said " Are you talking about that $50,000 that disappeared? "

She said " Yes, we have recovered it. I just need to verify your ID to make sure we properly credit your account. " Do you have your check book near you? "

I said " Yes, I do. "

She said " Look on the lower left part of your check. Is your account number XXXXXXXX ? "

I said " No, Mine is 123456 "

She said " I don't think 123456 is a valid checking account number. "

I said " Are you really concerned with validity? What is your name and where are you from? You have quite an accent. "

She said " Of course I'm concerned about the validity of your account. I am obligated to return this money to the proper owner and I need to verify your checking account number. "

I asked again " What is your name and where are you from?"

She said " My name is Lindsey and I am from New York."

I said " That's not a NY accent. "

She said " I'm originally from Spain."

I said " It's nice to meet you Lindsey and I appreciate you repaying that $500,000 someone fraudently removed from our checking account. " ( I upped the total a little bit ) Then I asked "Is there a phone number where I can call you back. I also need to verify you are who you say you are. "

She said " Of course, 1 800 012 1000. "

I repeated it back to make sure it was as she said. She said it was.

I said " When did they start making phone numbers starting with a 0? "

I was talking to my good friend, Lindsey, from Spain, on Bob's phone. My cell phone was in my pocket, so I called the invalid phone number from that phone. When the recording came on I put it to the other phone so Lindsey could hear the message. "

She apologized and said she would double check and get me the correct number. Then she asked once again about my checking account number, because she really wanted to return that large amount of money to me.

I'd had enough fun by then so I politely, well, not so politely said " You stupid, lying BI7T8!!! Do you really think people are that stupid?? If I had a way to get in touch with you I would have your a$$ arrested and deported. "

Then I hung up.

There was a phone number on the caller ID. It's 702 289 4276. I called that number and some man

said he was a representative for several companies. I told him who I was looking for and he asked what number I was calling. I told him the number and he said " This is 702 289 4286, not 76 ". I apologized and hung up. The thing is I didn't dial that number, the phone redialed it after I looked it up in " calls received ".

I called the bank and told them what happened. The lady I talked to said she was so glad we didn't fall for the scheme. Well, duh!! I told her about the return phone call I made and the man's reply to me. She said there wasn't really anything anyone could do.

Do any of you know anyone to contact that might could do something? The phone number is from Henderson, Nevada.

Linda

Comments (20)