SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cherryfizz

I'm Going to England! (long)

Cherryfizz
13 years ago

I am so excited and scared to fly at the same time.

Last night just before midnight the phone rang and it was my 3rd cousin from England. We have never met and found each other on a genealogy message board a few years ago. We lost contact with each other until about a month ago when Sue opened up an email from me she found in an email account she hadn't used in a long time. I had sent her the link to my Photobucket acct that had all the pictures of our shared ancestors including pictures of her Mom Mary as a baby and her Grandfather. I had sent her my home address as well so she used directory assistance to get back in touch with me again. She calls once a week now.

Last week when Sue called I told her I would email pictures of my siblings and my Dad when he was in the Navy so she could see what we looked like. I sent her my FB picture as well.

So last night Sue said she opened the email with the attached pictures and she said she just about fell off her "sticks" LOL She said that I look like her and that we could be sisters the family resemblance is so strong. Sue is just a 3 years older than me. She just could not believe it!

LOL then the next words out of her mouth were "Mom and I want you to come to England, when can you come, look up air fares and I will send you a postal order or do you have an hsbc bank in Windsor, do you have someone to take care of your pets, fly to Manchester and again how soon can you come??? Slow down, let me process this I said. Oh my gosh.

I told her I couldn't just hop on a plane because I didn't have a passport and hadn't planned on getting my renewal done until January, my sister who does take care of my pets is going away in November so it would have to be after that, then there is Christmas, and I am afraid to fly overseas again but I really want to go. Sue said time is of the essence because her Mom is 90 years old and her Mom really wants to meet me. I have talked to Mary a few times on the phone and she has fond memories of my Dad coming to visit during the war and bringing out oranges and other food items that were scarce out of his navy kit bag.

Sue lives in Southport with her partner and their 2 elderly Mom's and 5 mini dashounds. She said they just purchased a million pound victorian house they just finished renovating so all the bedrooms have modern en suite bathrooms with showers, lots of hot water, new heating, lots of good food and good company. Sue gave me her address and told me to look at the house on Google Earth which I did. LOL The house was surrounded by scaffolding the time the picture was taken. Sue said she is quirky, loves to watch boxing of all things and that we will get along very well.

Last night we talked on the phone for 4 hours - who talks on the phone that long!!! I had to grab the land line after about 2 hours because my phone went dead.

This visit will be great because Sue is also working on our family genealogy and has a website and softwear to publish our family tree except she can't type so I should be able to help her out there. I love to type as I am sure you can tell by this post. Sue said for me to plan an itinerary on where I want to go but I haven't a clue. I do want to go to the Archives though and to Denton to see where my Grandfather was from and maybe do some research at the Tameside Library and look at church records.

I'm just ready to head out to my friend's house to scan a picture of Mary's Grandparents. Sue said Mary has never seen a picture of her Grandparents so they are anxious for me to send them the picture and it is of utmost urgency because Sue isn't sure how long her Mother will be here and she wants to study the picture. Mary so far has lived longer than any past ancestor most of whom died young or in their 50's and 60's

Which is the best airline to fly and should I fly out of Detroit or fly from Toronto? Flying from Toronto I would only have to pass through customs once, Detroit twice. I have always flown business class on United or British Air whenever I had flown overseas but that is back when I worked as a travel agent and the reps gave me free tickets. LOL I am staying away from Air France because of the rumours of terrorist threats to French holdings. Did I say I was afraid to fly such a long journey again. I could hardly walk because of my knees after a 4 hours train ride, what will I be like after a 7 hour plane ride?

I am really looking forward to meeting my family and hopefully the cousin of my Dad's I was named after. I met her when I was a young child when she travelled here to Canada.

Sorry this was so long.

Anne

Comments (30)