SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
liljunkr

An AWFUL holiday

liljunkr
13 years ago

I really hate Halloween. The American version of horror and death and macabre goulish fiends is terrible. Every time I go into a store I see the costumes of nightmares and gruesome murdering sociopaths.

How has this happened? The origin of Halloween was Samhain (pronounced Sow-wen) and it was a sacred time to honor the ancestors and dear departed family members. A time to celebrate the thinning veil between realms and make contact with the spirits of the loved ones passed on. To help any spirits trapped in this realm into the next one so they can reside in peace until ready for the next incarnation. For nearly 3,000 years around the world, there has been a celebration around this time of year in many cultures.

The Dia de los Muertos The Mexican holiday focuses on gatherings of family and friends to pray for and remember friends and family members who have died. The celebration occurs on October 31 in connection with the Catholic holidays of All Saints' Day (November 1) and All Souls' Day (November 2). Traditions connected with the holiday include building private altars honoring the deceased using sugar skulls, marigolds, and the favorite foods and beverages of the departed and visiting graves with these as gifts. Due to occurring on the same day as Halloween, or the original Samhain, the Day of the Dead is sometimes thought to be a similar holiday, and the two holidays have much in common.

Dia de Finados is a public holiday that many Brazilians celebrate by visiting cemeteries and churches.

In Spain, there are festivals and parades, and, at the end of the day, people gather at cemeteries and pray for their dead loved ones. Similar observances occur elsewhere in Europe and in the Philippines, and similarly themed celebrations appear in many Asian and African cultures. A silent meal with all the family gathered and places set for the departed is often part of these days.

I understand the Christian All Hallows Eve concept of dressing up in weird costumes so the devils minions didn't recognize you and take you away. Even as a child the celebrations were about having fun in costumes and giving little gifts to the costumed beggars so the tricksters would not bother your home and family. All Saints and All Souls days were again sacred days.

How did it happen that now it is all about the horror and frightening bloody death dealing, non celebratory day of drunkenness and debauchery? It is sickening to me to see and watch this perversion of honor and sacredness take place. Is it really all about the money that can be made? Does anyone else feel like this?

LIL

Comments (43)

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County