SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lydia1959

Question for those with autoimmune thyroid (Hashi's or Graves)

lydia1959
10 years ago

Did you ever work third shift? I found this very interesting as I worked third shift for over 5 years and have Hashimoto's (diagnosed by antibody counts and not tsh).

"Stress induces autoimmune disorders by affecting the immune response modulation. Recent studies have shown that shift work stress may enhance the onset of the autoimmune Graves hyperthyroidism. On the other hand, the possible association between occupational stress and autoimmune hypothyroidism has not yet been investigated�. Subclinical autoimmune hypothyroidism was diagnosed in 7.7 percent shift workers and in 3.8 percent day-time workers with a statistically significant difference: Odds Ratio (OR) 2.12, 95 percent Confidence Interval (CI) 1.05 to 4.29; p=0.03�. Our data show a significant association between shift work and autoimmune hypothyroidism. This finding may have implications in the health surveillance programs."

There is also a new therapy called t3cm which requires the Hashimoto patient to take T3 (such as Cytomel) or a dessicated thyroid such as Armour 1 to 4 hours before you normally awaken (has to do with the Circadian rhythm). This is for people who have adrenal fatigue (not for someone who is hypopit though) I've been doing this for about a week now and am amazed at how much better I feel... depression was becoming an issue and since starting this that has lifted. I'm happier and more energetic as well. Still early in the game however and it isn't fun trying to fall back asleep after I've been awakened by an alarm at 5:30 in the morning. Really for me though.. the difference has been like night and day!

You can read more about the therapy by googling Paul Robinson and T3CM. He also has a couple books available at Amazon (I've just ordered the newer one).

Here is a link that might be useful: Reference for the shift work quote

Comment (1)