SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
connieinnd

I lost my furbaby.

nodakgal
13 years ago

I know there are some of my friends here that don't know yet. We lost our sweet doxie on Saturday. It was very sudden. It was heartbreaking. You cry and cry and cry and I am still crying.

DD Heather and I took her to the vet on Saturday morning. She was in liver failure. She also had a "mass" in her stomach that was quite large. No clue what it was for sure but we are thinking cancer. Miss was 9.

We have so many memories of her, she was the best, sweetest, most joyful, comical, loving dog you could ever ask for. NEVER did wrong.

She is buried in the sun that she loved to lay in. DSon made a little cross for her grave and I will find some sort of marker for the grave. Might not be this fall yet, but we will never forget her. There is a hole in my heart the size of Texas right now.

Comments (67)

• angela_nor_calif
    13 years ago

(((())))) I'm sorry.

• sandiefl
    13 years ago

I am so sorry for your loss. I will keep you and your family in my healing prayers.

• Related Discussions

Petra has lost one of her Furbabies

Q

Comments (13)
    I too totally understand the heartache of loosing a special loved one be it human or fur baby. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family! Dena
    ...See More

A Poem for EKO

Q

Comments (1)
    That is lovely. "Your spirit echoes  like a never ending dance. It stays with me  forever pirouetting across space and time" I swear that sometimes I catch a glimpse of loved furbabies running into the other room.
    ...See More

Oh My My Memory I Think I lost It????

Q

Comments (11)
    I almost posted a few weeks ago, "what dumb thing did you do today?". I had a years worth of oddities in one day trying to multi-task. Fortunately i checked all pockets before doing laundry...2 dozen cherry tomatoes, half a chocolate bar, tape, scissors....one milk dud, lol. Always loosing coffee cups... I think one of the worst was leaving for a long weekend and DH left the front door open. A few birds moved in and shat everywhere. We now double check and again when we leave even for work. Think, check, and check again. (i printed out a check list by the downstairs exit door) Add to daily life a medical issue and i do understand how difficult that would be. When we are stressed from work and not so young anymore, we just slow down and use our cell phone timers...
    ...See More

My mom's new furbaby

Q

Comments (10)
    Yep, she's an Akita. My mom lost her 13 year old Akita a few months ago. She swore she was too old to start with another one. A few days later ENTER OSHII. lol
    ...See More
  • minnie_tx
    13 years ago

I lost two Doxies years ago among many other pets They go on and don't have the same sensse of time as we do and are patiently waiting for you to come home. IMHO I still love each one as I did before and I know you do too. So sorry but am happy that she is buried in the sun and nearby

• mawheel
    13 years ago

My throat tightened and tears swelled in my eyes as I read your post. I'm so sorry for you loss; she looked so comfortable in your lap. ((((Hugs))))

• User
    13 years ago

I am so sorry, it is so hard to cope with losing them.

• dotmom
    13 years ago

As just one of many in your KT family who know the pain when our furbabies leave us, I'm so very sorry. Right now the pain is sharp but it does ease in time. Hopefully, soon, you will be able to imagine your little Doxie playing in that beautiful meadow, running and playing with the other pets that went ahead of their humans, and one day, in the future, she will stop, look up and start running to meet you, when your time comes. Then the two of you will go over the Rainbow Bridge together, never to be parted again. (((((Hugs)))))

• ciele
    13 years ago

I'm so sorry, its so hard to lose a pet

• nicole__
    13 years ago

WOW....that's a hard one. Sorry for your loss....

• bigfoot_liz
    13 years ago

Connie I saw your FB post too and was wondering how you were doing... i am soooo sorry to hear about Miss but i know she is running around and healthy now & someday you will be reunited w/ her. i have 2 elderly furgirls myself and will be in your shoes soon enough unfortunately :-( (((connie & family))) ~ liz

• Marcia Thornley
    13 years ago

I am so sorry! It is so hard to lose them. Hugs

• Mickey15
    13 years ago

((((Connie)))
    I'm so sorry. I know how much it hurts.

• nodakgal
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you for understanding everyone.
    All she ever asked for was love and a lap to cuddle in! Almost all my pictures she is sitting in someone's lap.
    I really know what people are talking about when they say "heart dog" now. She was my heart! She sat on the rug in the bathroom when I showered in the mornings, she sat beside me when I watched tv, for years she slept with us, until the vet said because of her back she should sleep in the crate where she wouldn't jump out of bed, she followed me everywhere I went, she greeted us like there was NO tomorrow when we came home (I've learned something there!)
    I know some day it won't hurt so much to think of her, but 2 days later it still does hurt awful bad. I love her as deeply as I do my own children.

• taigen_gw
    13 years ago

So very sorry for your loss. I know how very hard it is to loose them. ((Hugs to you))

• Jasdip
    13 years ago

Oh Nodakgal,
    I'm so very sorry for your sudden loss.
    I, as well as others have had fur-kids leave and it hurts like hell each and every time.

You know how much she loved you, as shown by her wanting to be with you all the time. She knew as well, how much she was loved. It will get better, but not overnite.

Dotmom always mentions the Rainbow Bridge and that story makes me cry every time I think of it. You do have that to look ahead to, but for now, let the tears come, and don't be afraid to share your hurt, and talk about her.

She's as cute as anything! I think doxies are adorable.

(((Nodakgal)))

• murraysmom Zone 6a OH
    13 years ago

I'm so sorry for your devastating loss. She was a beautiful dog.

• Marilyn Sue McClintock
    13 years ago

I too am so sorry to hear you have lost your sweet furbaby. I am sending a big hug to you, I feel your pain.

Sue and Izzi too

• pam_25f
    13 years ago

I know the sorrow you feel. I'm so sorry.

• Pieonear
    13 years ago

I'm so sorry.

• elisabeth_rose
    13 years ago

Oh Connie, I am so sorry! I know first hand the pain and deep sorrow you are feeling now. It is real! When we lost Oliver almost a year ago, someone told me to get a grip, for after all, he was just a dog.... She is no longer a friend! I completely understand your statement about loving Miss as much as your children. Total love is total, no matter who the recipient of that love is. And the hurt now is almost unbearable. It will get better, but right now that seems impossible. You are in my thoughts tonight.

Elisabeth

• tannatonk23_fl_z9a
    13 years ago

Hi Connie. It's been months since I've been to the KT and now I see sadness in so many posts :( I'm so sorry for your loss. Miss was a real beauty and I know how much it hurts. Just think how beautiful she must be with her angel wings! Take comfort knowing that someday you will meet again.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

• blitzyblond_protege
    13 years ago

My condolences, I know that is a terrible blow to the family. l.marie

• ronf_gw
    13 years ago

I am ao very sorry.

Ron

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    13 years ago

I feel your pain and your loss, have felt it too many times myself. My sympathy to your family, remember the good times you shared.
    Might I suggest adding your furbaby to the candle ceremony at petloss.com a wonderful site.
    Pet Loss Grief Support Website

• zeetera
    13 years ago

I did not read your post but please don't think that I'm being insensitive. I know I'll be in tears if I did.

Just want to convey my sympathy and hope the pain eases for you.

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    13 years ago

I'm so sorry, Nodak. There is only a few things worse than losing the family furbaby. What a cutie-pie she was!

• bunnylover21
    13 years ago

I am so sorry Connie. We lost our little Marmalade bunny 10 days ago and I still cry about it. She was 10. Tears are good and healing.

Lynda

• kacram
    13 years ago

I'm so sorry, Connie.

• cynic
    13 years ago

I'm always so saddened by them it's very tough to open these types of threads. You *should* love them as deeply as children, and feel no guilt because of it, for that's what they *are*, our children.

My deepest condolences. I can't feel your loss but I know what a loss of a pet means to me and it ain't no fun. There's going to be good days and sad days but I still find it best to think about a few of the best times and keep them handy for a downer day. Think of those times you had and you'll be able to laugh a bit between the tears. She wouldn't want you to cry for her, she'd rather have you remember the good times. I know you gave her a great home and a great life. It's sad it was so short. (Uh, no pun intended!) She's napping, playing, snacking and misses you too. And she's still with you. She's around.

• Toni S
    13 years ago

ohhh, I'm so sad for you. It's sweet and thoughtful that she will always be in her favorite sunshine.(Connie)

• kim_okla
    13 years ago

I'm so sorry. I know how hard it is.

• chubby_rat
    13 years ago

Oh Connie! I am so very sorry to hear this! It's been over a year since I lost my "heart" dog,Tassie,and I still dream about her.I love my other ones as I'm sure you love Mac but it isn't the same. It will get easier in time,but I still can't talk about Tass without the tears coming...I miss her so much. I'm sure she's at the bridge greeting Miss...they are running and playing,no pain,no crippled legs(Tassie) just everything perfect and wonderful. Run free Miss and Tassie! Know your "heart" mothers love you very much!
    Hugs to you ,my friend.

• liz
    13 years ago

Connie...I'm so sorry...I know it's hard for you to find comfort now but in the days ahead I hope your sorrow is replaced by the joy you had with your furbaby...it totally rips my heart out when we lose a pet but not enough to stop having them...The joy they bring is just something that complete our lives...

• jel48
    13 years ago

I'm so sorry Connie. ((((((Connie and Family))))))

• gemini40
    13 years ago

I am so sorry to hear of your loss Connie.

June

• bulldinkie
    13 years ago

Its been 2 years I still cry over my baby.
    Sorry..

• trisha57_ny
    13 years ago

Oh, Connie, you must be devestated. I absolutely know how you are feeling. I am so sorry. You were always there for me whenever I posted anything. It is not easy. But I know They know how much we loved them. And there was nothing else you could have done. I'm telling you, McDuff's spirit lives on in our home, and that's such a great feeling. You'll see. She will be there with you in spirit. Wish I could give you a big hug. I'll say a prayer for you tonight.

• renee_fl
    13 years ago

(((((((nodakgal & family))))))

I have an elderly cat and I know I will be in your shoes soon. I am so sorry for you loss.

• JennaVaNowSC
    13 years ago

I am so very sorry for your loss. They ARE our babies, and they love us unconditionally.

• nodakgal
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you everyone. I am still crying a week later. And I mean I am really crying. This afternoon about 1 pm it was a week. I don't think I will ever get another doxie again. She was so special and so adorable and SO very loved.
    DH was always a cat person. Misery taught him to love dogs and he loved her very much.
    I know I've told the story before so anyone thats heard it can skip the next paragraph. She had had 2 homes before us. DD came to us with her at age 5 months. She took the pup trying to find her a home from someone she knew. Miss was a doll and I fell in love on the spot. Wanted her so badly. DH (remember he was a cat person) said no, nope, no way, no how. We "discussed" it after DD left with her and for days afterwards. DD knew I wanted the puppy badly. DH wouldn't give in! I couldn't convince him. She finally gave him an ultimatium! Either he let me have the pup or she would give her to me for Mother's Day! LOL He finally agreed and said she could come here to live, then said BUT *I* get to name her! LOL I couldn't agree fast enough. she wasn't potty trained and he was positive having her was going to be nothing but misery for him with puddles and piles and chewing etc. So that was his name for her Misery. She fooled him so bad! We both worked with her potty training, and loved on her and she was a total love! She never ever did wrong (NO accidents once trained and NO chewing at all)and was so happy and was DH's buddy just as much as she was mine! Well, she liked me more if I can be honest! LOLShe waited by the door whenever I went to work, she greeted us like there was no tomorrow whenever we came home no matter if we were gone a hour or a day.
    It is SO terribly quiet here now. We do have Mac (Chihuahua) that we "inherited". He is an independent little guy. We love him but no way he is close to us as Misery.
    I miss my little girlie girl badly. There is no replacing her, she was too special and unique.

• nanny98
    13 years ago

Please accept my belated condolences for the loss of your beloved girl. It is a heart breaking time and I know it takes years and years to get past the painfulness of the loss. ((((Hugs))) Nanny

• Jasdip
    13 years ago

Oh Nodakgal, I was wondering how you are doing.

I know people say that they won't get another pet, because it's irreplacable. I felt that way when I had to put Peanut to sleep after 14 years. The house was so empty, that a month later, I got another one. Have had cats constantly, by adult life. (wasn't allowed to have pets as a kid).

I've been in your shoes too many times, and it's absolute hell each time. Believe it or not, it does get better.

At some point the time will be right for you to get another dog.
    You'll know when you see him/her.

• shea
    13 years ago

Connie, my heart is so heavy for you. I know how utterly heartbroken you are and send you my deepest sympathy. We lost our beloved whippet a year ago August and it still hurts so much. I miss her so much. Every now and then I have a day where the tears don't flow, but it is still really hard. I just try to fill my life with other things and keep busy. And I attempt to not think of her at bedtime, so that I can sleep!

I just got to a point where I realized that I could be miserable all the time if I allowed myself to wallow in it. So allow yourself a good little bit of time to grieve, then decide that you must move past it. I've just gotten to the point where I can talk about some funny thing she would do, and laugh instead of cry, but it's still bittersweet.

It's just so hard when it is "the" dog love of your life, like your doxie and my whippet. They are just irreplaceable, but how lucky we were to have had them in our lives!

Take care of yourself, and know that we are hurting for and with you. (((Connie)))

• JaniceP
    13 years ago

My heart goes out to you..... I never realized how much a part of my life my dachs was until I had to put him down. That was two years ago and I still tear up when I think of him....but I am so grateful that I had the privilege of being his 'mommy'....

In time, the ache will ease and you will be able to remember her with a smile in your heart. My thoughts are with you.....

• nola_anne
    13 years ago

So very sorry for your loss...I cannot even 'think' about losing our lab/border collie mix "Miles", but I know the time will come...he is 12 yr. old next month.

He must be 'kin' to your Doxie 'cause he has much of the same WONDERFUL traits she had.

No words for this kind of thing...but sounds like your precious pup had the 'good life' while here with you, but REMEMBER this: Love NEVER dies! Really! It NEVER dies! She has become part of each one of your lives - keep those memories shared and enjoyed in the years ahead.
    nola_anne

• suzieque
    13 years ago

I'm so sorry; I'm just seeing this now, but please know that I completely understand what you're feeling and what you're writing. As I sit here and type this my beloved boy (cat) is in my lap. He is nearly 18 years old. I absolutely cannot imagine how I will cope when he's gone.

And I've had many, many pets an grieved each one. Of course, some more than others; but I've loved them all. For those "somehow-more-special" ones, it feels like the bottom has fallen out of our lives. Today my mother asked me if I still miss one that I lost last spring. I said "Well, I loved him very much but I expected to lose him a year earlier; so the extra year was a gift and no, I don't miss him much, although I have great memories". But I then told her about another that I lost 4 years ago; he was my boy and it was very sudden. Seemed perfectly fine one day and two days later he was gone. At only 12. I miss that cat immensely.

Your little Misery will never be out of your heart, and you go ahead and cry until you're done crying. Don't let anyone tell you that you should be over it. I understand the Texas-sized hole in your heart. How wonderful that you found each other.

Sincere huge hugs of empathy -

Suzieque

• Georgysmom
    13 years ago

You probably have lots more crying ahead...., but thats just the way it is. It's okay. I lost my JD a little over a year ago and can smile when I think of her now. I miss so many little things that she did like always give you a kiss before she ate her food, or when I took her in the car with me, every time I got back in the car, she had to kiss you like you were gone for months. When people began to hear about her passing, they would walk up to me to give me a hug and I would say, don't be nice to me, I'll start to cry again. There's no time frame on grieving. What I do know is this....all those wonderful years of unconditional love is worth every tear.

• joann23456
    13 years ago

I'm so sorry. I'm glad you had her and that she had a wonderful home.

• trisha57_ny
    13 years ago

Connie, McDuff will be gone a year on November 8th. And we will never be the same. It's okay to cry. I'm still crying. I don't think I will ever get over this guy. It's okay. He was my only connection with this new place.
    As each day goes by, it will get easier for you. It really will. believe me. I'm attaching a poem I wrote for McDuff. And I'm lucky enough to have a place where I can collect money, in McDuff's name for the North Fork Animal Welfare League.
    So, I think it would help you, if you just wrote down your feelings for your beautiful little doxie. Here's the poem:

Our Sweet, Sweet McDuff

I moved to Long IslandâÂÂs North Fork,
    A place very new to me
    I felt alone here, and different from the way I used to be.

Then I got you, Sweet McDuff, at 6 weeks of age,
    I proudly strutted you through Greenport,
    And oh, my love, you were all the rage.

Your huge Saint Bernard paws and your very, very beautiful face,
    Introduced me to people in this unknown place.

I adored you from 6 weeks to 7 years old,
    And, of all the hearts I know, yours was a true, a very true gold.

People giggled and were awed at your big, gorgeous, 180lb self,
    You were magnificent, my boy, in all your glorious stealth.

I met people I never knew,
    Now they are a part of my life, all because of you.

Although you were never asked to guard our front door,
    You did, my gentle giant, and made our B&B guests feel safe and secure.

What a lucky girl your sister, Daisy was,
    To have one so noble for her to love.

The respect and adoration you had for each other,
    was just so awesome to watch and made us all wonder

How you loved each other and us so much,
    Were you gift a gift from God, precious McDuff?

You amazed everyone until cancer took you,
    We tried and tried, sweet boy, but there was nothing we could do.

You were there by my side in good times and bad,
    we laughed and cried together,
    How I miss the friendship we had.

So proud, so proud, so proud and blessed we were to have you, my big, beautiful boy,
    My heart aches now at the loss of my pride and joy.

You are in heaven now,
    And to you, Our Sweet, Sweet McDuff, we all take a bow.

• kim_okla
    13 years ago

My sister recently lost her doxie. She said I can't have another one, it was her back.

Well she got two. Mini dapple and a mini pie bald.

• User
    13 years ago

I still grieve years after losing some of my pets, the very special ones. I've had more cats than dogs, and really tear up every time I think of my first cat, a Siamese who lived till 20. There are a few others who were very special and I have a cat now that is my soul mate. My two dogs are special buddies, the last one rescued in May is a tan and black standard doxie, found at a kill shelter in WVA. What was your doxie?