SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zeetera

Update

zeetera
11 years ago

Hi, just thought I'd post a little update since you all were so kind to me during diagnosis. I cut off just about everybody besides a few as I went through the first batch of chemo. It was BRUTAL! It was hard to hold a conversation because I'd be wasted by the second sentence. Plus the things people were saying started to irritate me. My dad sent me some cancer diet that he paid for on the net and said the guy selling it stated that I would die if I didn't follow it. My cousin calls and tells me about someone going the extra mile to go overseas for treatment for some leg surgery. How you can compare that with cancer I'll never know but it was like she was saying that I didn't do enough. Truth is, if things had been rushed the other masses deep down would have been missed because they were prepared to just do a lumpectomy and radiation to the smaller cyst-like lump, and no chemo. I just lost patience and most times turned my phone off. I did explain to them on Facebook that it was easier to not even start a conversation.

Speaking of Facebook, I did put out updates to around 20 people so that it didn't have to be constantly repeated and they were hearing it from the horse's mouth. But I found out after that someone was sending these updates through my company's email system and the head of the company told me that I upset a lot of people. Sigh. And my sister still screams at everything I say to her so I limited contact with her to text messages, and haven't told her what type of cancer I have yet.

The good news is that I had u/s scans on Wednesday and met with the surgeon yesterday. The surgeon did not have the results but from looking at the u/s screen and talking to the technician, it appears as if all the lumps have disappeared besides the smaller, hard one that resembles a cyst. And that has reduced in size. The surgeon actually smiled and congratulated me for getting through the chemo. He still wants to do a lumpectomy but the oncologist said no, definitely a mastectomy. I may leave one breast just in case it decides to come back, it can try to come back there first.

Next week the AC chemo starts and the oncologist has assured me twice that it won't be as bad as this first chemo cocktail, thank goodness!

Unfortunately the type of cancer I have is not nice! It's very volatile and reoccurs frequently, normally to the lungs or bones at first. The reoccurrence can happen as early as 2 months after chemo or anytime after. There aren't many stats out there because it is so uncommon, but it's almost a miracle if you make it to 5 years. There are no 10 year stats.

So, those new dish towels that I never used, the perfumes that sit for decoration - they're all being used now. I've started to clear out drawers and will do the closets next. I'm going to fight it with all my might, but I have to be realistic also. I watched as a woman succumbed to it a few weeks ago, and she was diagnosed and treated this past January. Even though they say it is very rare, there are many women being diagnosed with it now probably because the labs are finally recognizing it.

I'm stressing to women to find out if you have dense breasts at your next mammogram and if you do, demand an ultrasound. And if you have pre-teen or teenaged daughters, please physically check them too. Because of environmental conditions, the cancer is hitting younger females.

My job doesn't want me back yet so I spend days researching and making sure I'm getting the proper treatments. So far I'm happy with the plan that has been layed out for me, and if all goes well I should be finished everything by the end of the year. I won't know if I'll be getting radiation until the final pathology report comes in, after surgery. This cancer is known to grow during both chemo and radiation so I may decline the radiation if they get clear margins with the chest wall.

Hope everyone is well and I hope to come back and participate in the near future. I'm sure I'm missing everyone's children growing up and I don't want that to happen!

Comments (53)

• terilyn
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I am so relieved to hear from you. The best thoughts and prayers are with you. Use those towels, perfume and anything else you can think of, you can always buy more when you use them up!

• kayjones
    11 years ago

I will keep you in my prayers, Zeetera.

• Related Discussions

Updated vs non-updated house

Q

Comments (17)
    The reality is that for most of the people in the buying pool for houses at that price range in Bethesda and other close-in DC suburbs, time is a more valuable commodity than money. At that price bracket, most potential buyers are 30-something professionals, many of whom are married with (or planning to have) kids. For many people in that demographic, it's worth it to spend more for a house that requires no work, because the tradeoff for a cheaper house with major projects is that you have to spend the time to plan a remodel, hire someone to execute it, then either live through it or move out (which takes even more time and planning). When I bought my house 10 years ago, I was single, 30 years old, and worked at a law firm. I had the flexibility to extend my rental until some work could be done to my house, so I bought a house that needed cosmetic updates, and got a good price in a hot neighborhood where houses were selling for above asking within a few days. The prior owners 'totally 80s' choices were not appealing to buyers, and also did nothing to highlight the portion of the house that was the original structure from the early 1900s. Once I moved in, I never had time for the DIY projects I envisioned (such as gel staining the kitchen cabinets!), and the house felt like a 'work in progress' for a while. Now I am married with a baby, and I still have a full time job. If I were house hunting now, a house that was 'move in ready' and required nothing more than paint and decorating, would be worth a lot of $$. Because the time and effort required for major renovations would be a tipping point in terms of stress and quality of life, which is hard to quantify in dollars. And I say this as someone who has a decent 'eye' for imagining the potential a house has. In fact, I just recently moved back into my house, after moving out for the summer for a major remodel and addition (totally worth it, but totally exhausting and stressful and time-consuming). Many of my friends who are not into decorating and house stuff also have trouble even imagining the 'after' that a house could be, and overestimate how much it would cost (even at the inflated prices in this area) to make changes. So I think for the average buyer here, 'move in ready' is worth $$$$$, and a 'needs remodeling' house may not even be considered unless it's a tear down to build a mcmansion.
    ...See More

Updating my updates

Q

Comments (1)
    Now we will remember your birthday!
    ...See More

Wollemi marcot update update & Monkey Puzzle approach graft update!

Q

Comments (2)
    Thanks for the update and a very merry Christmas to all as well. tj
    ...See More

Exterior painting / update - feedback please (updated)

Q

Comments (40)
    Ok, you've convinced me to go with dark sashes and muntins! Thank you for the feedback! Some more variations (I'm kind of obsessed). Bottom left is existing window frame colours with muntins added, and stucco painted (tudor boards kept the existing colour) Bottom right is dark sashes, a taupe-y casing, and both stucco and tudor boards repainted. (Top left existing, top right was an old version with lighter muntins/sash)
    ...See More
  • matti5
    11 years ago

So good to hear from you! I continue to keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Keep us posted when you feel up to it and please know we are here for support. Big hugs to you!

• marie_ndcal
    11 years ago

Stay strong and be yourself. If you wish to talk we are hear to listen and don't worry, it we knew a cure we would all be rich. My DD had breast cancer and went thru what you did and appears to be fine now but does have a postive attitude. I have no cures, just hugs and good wishes and prayers for good health.
    Marie

• Georgysmom
    11 years ago

It's so good to hear from you. We've all been wondering how you are and what's been going on. Thanks for keeping us informed ((((zeetera))))

• suzieque
    11 years ago

Zeetera - it's so good to hear from you. You have not been forgotten here - not even close! As georgysmom said, we've been wondering and have been missing you.

You keep on keeping on - - - thanks so much for posting.

• gemini40
    11 years ago

Thanks for taking the time to update us on your progress. You are in my thoughts and prayers and admire your strength and outlook . You are amazing. One day at a time get through that and move on.

june.

• sjerin
    11 years ago

It's MARVELOUS to hear from you, Zeetera! A couple of threads were started asking how you're doing, but we all understood that you'd check in when you could. A huge "Hip, hip, hooray!" for getting through the Brutal Round of chemo! I'm relieved to hear the next round won't be as rough and that so far, all looks very good. You sound like you're completely on top of your treatment and know just how to handle people--I really admire you and your attitude. People mean well, but..... So many of us hear are thinking and praying for you--can you feel it? :) Stay strong, positive and faithful, and beat that cancer back to nothin'! Thanks so much for writing.

Erin

• kacram
    11 years ago

I'm so glad you posted. I know how hard it is, how bad
    the fatigue is. I'm sorry that your work was upset by
    your emails, what a bunch of pansies! lol I wish I had
    your snail mail addy just to send a funny card now and then,
    so just imagine getting a couple! hahaahaa. I've been asking here
    if anyone had heard from you. I knew you
    were busy and ohhhh, so tired. The doctors can just give us
    percentages, but they are not always correct. You hang in
    there. It is a GOOD thing that you just cut some people out

If you are interested, if you set up a caring bridge site, you can update it just once. Give the URL out just once to the people that you email, and they will get notifications to go check it out every time you do an update. My facebook name is kathy cramer. but I understand if you don't want anyone in cyber space to have your name, etc. no problem.

you can do this! you just got through some bad stuff. I hope you have one good friend that is helping you out. You are doing it. One step at a time. Hang in there kiddo.

Here is a link that might be useful: Caring bridge site.

• carol_in_california
    11 years ago

My prayers have been with you.
    I love the Caring Bridge site......a great way to keep in touch and to receive good thoughts and prayers.
    I kept track of Kathy and of a friend from high school that way and it was easier for them and for their friends and family.
    I will continue my healing prayers.
    Thanks for the update and let us know how you are doing when you feel like it.

• lydia1959
    11 years ago

Thanks for the update Zeetera! Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

The Caring Bridge site is a great idea!

• PattiG(rose)
    11 years ago

I don't post often, but I wanted to send my thoughts and prayers to you and let you know that people are thinking of you. You have a wonderful outlook and that's a good thing-it will get you through.

• lisa_fla
    11 years ago

I think of you often. Glad to hear an update. Good luck with the next round!

• nanny98
    11 years ago

Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers too. You have a huge fan club here that will send strength and good thoughts to lift you up during the down times.(((((HUGS))))).....

• User
    11 years ago

We have been thinking of you and hoping you would post. I'm sorry the Chemo was so rough. I know it is. My friend has brain cancer and she's told me about what she goes thru. But she, like you, has a positive attitude. So important. Doctors can only quote statistics and they are often so wrong. Come back often and tell us how things are going.

• OklaMoni
    11 years ago

Wow, what a lengthy update, and so thorough. You sound like such a fighter, and like you are doing all the right things.

People here have been looking for you, thinking of you, and praying for you.

We are all going to continue to do so.

Best wishes

Moni

• lindalou
    11 years ago

stay strong, zeetera. you can get through this. we are all here to lend an ear when you want to talk and will keep you in our prayers. you have a great attitude and that is what will keep you going....take care and god bless!!

• dex215
    11 years ago

Thanks so much, Zeetera, for letting us all know that you have come thru that rough round of chemo. I will send up prayers for you, and I know you will get thru this next round. You are an inspiration to me and I'm sure to all of us here at the table.

• zeetera
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you all so much! You make me feel special. I appreciate the positive thoughts and prayers. They must be working because I should have been much worse off, given all what was going on in my one breast.

They are making great strides with medication combos for cancer and I think the oncologist got it right for me. I'm one who's considered to be an experiment because these drugs weren't used years ago, so I'll hopefully be one of the positive stats years from now. Plus MD Anderson has vowed to find a cure for Triple Negatives which I've read on some websites could help my type of metaplastic cancer.

Overall I'm happy and I laugh every day. It's always on my mind, but that could be a good thing because the fear can keep me researching so I'll always be on top of things.

I'm in a good place in my life where I feel that I've done all what I can, and the only desire left was to retire early and to travel more. When I read about the young mothers who are diagnosed with Stage IV right off the bat, it's heartbreaking. The other night I read of a young son who told his mother that he did not want her to die. I bawled and pointed to the computer screen and said, "Look God, look! This is not supposed to happen."

My only regret now is that I will probably spend the rest of my life tight-rope walking on banana peels, lol.

I may just set up a Caring Bridge site, thank you Kat and others for that suggestion. I'll post the address (or whatever is needed on that site).

Thank you all again.

• 3katz4me
    11 years ago

Thank you so much for posting the update. I'm not very active on this forum but have kept checking back to see if there was any news from you. You sound like you are in a good place in terms of taking charge of your situation and enjoying your life in spite of the unknowns that lie ahead. Best of luck to you - my thoughts and prayers are with you.

• jannie
    11 years ago

Sorry you're going through this, but it was good news about only one small tumor left,the rest are gone. Hope your next treatment isn't so bad. I am praying for you. As lance Armstrong says, Live Strong!

• Granlan_TX
    11 years ago

Thanks for the update Zeetera..you sound amazing under the circumstances. Keep your spirits up...you are so much stronger than you feel or realize.

• alisande
    11 years ago

It's great to hear from you, Zeetera. So many of us have been thinking about you. It's wonderful that you are so well informed, and your attitude is excellent. Yes, please share the Caring Bridge site.

• yayagal
    11 years ago

Your journey has touched so many of us to pray and think of you often. In a perfect world this never would happen but you're one of many who have to walk that scary walk. I'm sorry for that. You deserved a life of good health and happiness. You are amazing that you could really be yourself and tell us just how is was and is. Honest, blunt and sooo human. If you could see what love is, it's the hearts of people opening up to embrace you in your rough times. I thank God for the internet so that you could receive the encouragement and love from the people in this forum. We'll continue to be prayer warrier's for you.

• nancylee_ky
    11 years ago

I'm a long time lurker and also wondered how you were doing. Glad to hear the chemo is over and know that your positive attitude will be of great help in your road to recovery.

• kacram
    11 years ago

Yes, I often feel the Sword of Damocles just above my head.
    But there will be times, I know you don't believe it, that you will actually not think of it. There will be days here and there.

praying hard!
    kat

• taigen_gw
    11 years ago

Stay strong!! Will keep you in my prayers.

• tami_ohio
    11 years ago

I am another who is so glad to see an update from you! You are in my prayers daily and will continue to be.

• maire_cate
    11 years ago

It so good to hear from you - thank you for posting the update. Many of us here have thought about you and sent our healing prayers your way. Stay positive - it's great to hear that you laugh everyday.

• schoolhouse_gw
    11 years ago

Will be thinking of you.

• chloecat
    11 years ago

Good to hear from you.

I'm assuming you're young (under 40?). If so, please ask to join the Facebook Group: YSC. It's for young survivors who are/were members of the Young Survival Coalition's website/boards. There are SEVERAL metaplastic survivors in that group, who would be a wealth of information for you, as well as support.

Curious as to what makes you think the cancer would come back in a breast before it comes back elsewhere?

• sable_ca
    11 years ago

Zeetera, thank you for posting! You are a strong, amazing woman and a true inspiration. And thank you for suggesting ultrasounds in addition to mammograms for some of us. I have been doing that for several years now, and bless the doctor who recommended it.

My continuing thoughts and prayers for you...

• nodakgal
    11 years ago

So happy to see you here!
    Add my name to the list of people that have wondered about you!
    Sending big hugs to you!!

• susanjf_gw
    11 years ago

welcome back! enjoy every one of those dish towels...omg i have some i bought ages ago and never had out!

i got the good news i'm down to 2x a year visits with oncologist, and 1x a year mammo! my cousin went for double mas, and no reconstruction, and thanks be in the boob addicted world, has a loving bf who doesn't care, and a boss that doesn't either!

• susie53_gw
    11 years ago

Zeetera, I've been in your shoes.. You can beat this.. They do wonderful things for cancer now. I know some days you want to just scream, cry, go to bed and lots of other things.. Don't be afraid to ask questions.. It took me almost a year to get finished with my treatments and it has been 20 years now.. Take one day at a time. Don't listen to the negatives that some people dish out.. I always tried to stay with positive people.

I will be thinking of you in the coming months. Keep us posted, we all really do care.

Susie

• petaloid
    11 years ago

We cancer survivors know that better treatments and cures are always in the works.

You are not a statistic, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you beat the odds!

• nizza
    11 years ago

Thanks Zeetera for the update. I will continue to keep you in my prayers. Keep up your great attitude.

• goldedger
    11 years ago

You are special Zeetera and I'm happy to hear that your first round of chemo, although brutal, is OVER! I'll be praying that the next round is indeed less intensive. Your positive attitude and the ability to laugh are awesome weapons to have in your arsenal.
    Sending healing thoughts
    June

• jemdandy
    11 years ago

My wife had breast cancer. She had a mastecomy and all the lympth nodes on her right side removed. This was followed by chemothearpy and then several years of toxmoxifan (sp?). She modified her diet to remove most caffene.

That was over 10 years ago and she remains cancer free.

There is hope!

• itsmesuzq
    11 years ago

You are amazing! Thank you so much for checking in and sharing your wisdom as you plow through this fight with the "C" word. My sincere best wishes and prayers for strength for the coming days.

I am now going to my linen closet for those "use someday" towels that I've squirreled away. I when I go to the market today I'm using my best perfume too!!

If not now, when?

Much love ~ Susan

• sandiefl
    11 years ago

You have the best tool to fight this Monster! It is called Prayer and a Postive attitude. You are on my prayer list.

• debo_2006
    11 years ago

I'm not a frequent poster, but read often and have followed your story. You are quite a strong woman, and having a positive outlook is the medicine YOU can give yourself.

"YOU GOTTA CHANGE THE WAY YOU THINK TO CHANGE THE WAY YOU FEEL" ~Quoted by GMA's Robin Roberts. This is a quote that is very fitting to anyone going through a traumatic treatment, and frankly, it makes sense.

My mother is a BC survivor and I had a scare 2 years ago which turned out to be pre-cancer, so I "kind of" know the trials and tribulations that come with the treatment of the disease...to a point.

Stay strong, think strong, and disregard the nay sayers as they may not have a clue what you are going through. That kind of negative stress is the last thing you need.

((((Hugs)))) and prayers to you.

• kathi_mdgd
    11 years ago

Thanks for the update Zee,you have a positive attitude and that is 1/2 the battle.Prayers and good thoughts still going up for you>>

I'm a 4 year survivor,and i know many other survivors as well.BC is no longer a death sentence,and i hope someday they find a cure for all the cancers.

I had a double mastectomy and have not been the least bit sorry i chose that path,and i had NO reconstruction.I figure take me as i am or don't take m at all!!

Yup use that china,those dishtowels,and anything else that you've been saving for a rainy day.

Keep the faith and the attitude!!
    Kathi

• kathi_mdgd
    11 years ago

Thanks for the update Zee,you have a positive attitude and that is 1/2 the battle.Prayers and good thoughts still going up for you>>

I'm a 4 year survivor,and i know many other survivors as well.BC is no longer a death sentence,and i hope someday they find a cure for all the cancers.

I had a double mastectomy and have not been the least bit sorry i chose that path,and i had NO reconstruction.I figure take me as i am or don't take m at all!!

Yup use that china,those dishtowels,and anything else that you've been saving for a rainy day.

Keep the faith and the attitude!!
    Kathi

• Hellion
    11 years ago

More positve thoughts for a full recovery for you.

• kacram
    11 years ago

I hope you set up the caring bridge site, but I don't know your irl name, so I can't see it. You are still in our prayers.

• katlan
    11 years ago

Good Lord what a cross you have had to bear. I will be praying for you.

Keep the strength, keep the fight, keep the faith.

All the best.

• caroline94535
    11 years ago

Zeetera; you are on my prayer list to. Surround yourself with only people, thoughts, and things you love.

I wish I were close by. I'd love to come over and help you do something - anything - mop a floor, tote and carry, sort out a drawer...and hopefully make you laugh.

• joyfulguy
    11 years ago

Sorry to hear of the serious problems ... but congrats on dealing with them well.

Keep the positive approach to it ... as it appears that you do to all of life.

Sending some good thoughts and hopes ... and offering some prayers.

(((((Zeetera)))))

ole joyful

• Vickey__MN
    11 years ago

I'm another that is so glad you posted. A pox on those that told you what to do, you do what is right for you!!! Obviously you know who to listen to as it seems to be working. There are many of us cancer survivors here, we add you to our ranks!!! Hugs and keep us posted!!!