SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lydia1959

Anybody want some Mimosa seed pods?

lydia1959
13 years ago

I realize that these are considered invasive in the south, but here in Missouri they work well as a decorative tree. I've had mine for at least 5 years and this is the first year it has flowered and given me seed pods. The seedlings can be mowed down when small if you have a problem with them.

From a website: Mimosas do not do well in the northern or north central US. Kansas, Missouri, Kentucky, southern parts of Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, are about the northern limits.

They need a sunny area. They can get quite tall with a span of about 25 feet. They are short lived trees... expect a lifespan of between 10 and 20 years. I've heard they can also be planted in large pots and kept pruned. Butterflies love them. I read that lightening bugs like them too.. I don't know about that, but I had tons of lightening bugs this year.

If anyone in the US would like some seed pods/seeds email me through my page and I will send you some (I'm not sure about any laws regarding seeds shipped outside the US, so I'd rather not do that). You need to get them started inside in a small pot and then move outside once the danger of frost has passed in the spring.

Not mine, but here's a picture.

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz