...plus

One district manager on the phone,

...plus

Three computerized cash registers,

...And

...52 minutes

equals

...No Sale.

All the time and combined efforts of these dazed and confused people was not able to do a simple "catalog order" of one, in-stock, bedspread and pillow sham.

Did you know the JCPenney stores no longer have a "catalog desk" manned with knowledgeable staff and all the current printed copies of their mulitidue of catalogs? Now you simply go to any register and the clerk tries to order it for you.

There are no catalogs to look through to ensure you're picking the product you really want. There is no dedicated catalog staff that knows how to punch in info.

It took three efforts, THREE, with me saying the numbers v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-l-y, one at a time, for the woman to type in my phone number. I speak clearly and slowly. This clerk was a supposed high-school graduate. English is her first and only language. She told me "I don't really know numbers."

The transaction went down hill from there.

At the former catalog desk you could order your item, pay with a check, and in a few days it would be at your door. The clerk might mention, "Did you know a similar item is on sale?" and offer you the catalog. I never spent more than five minutes ordering anything.

I've dropped by the store, on a whim, thinking, "Oh! I better order that "item" that was in the latest catalog." Done and done. Our store is very small so the stock on hand is very limited. Catalog was the way to go.

With the new system you can no longer pay by check with an in-store catalog order. If you don't wish to use a credit card, you must purchase a "Gift Card" for the amount of the order, then they (try) to re-ring the order and pay for it with the Gift Card.

That was an entirely different set of problems that ended up taking all the cash off the Gift Card, but not paying for the order.

Since I was on my last nerve after nearly an hour, I asked the store manager to refund my money, then and there, and cancel any attempts at the order.

She did. A gave me a measly $5 gift card to make up for the inconvenience. A $100 might have worked. Might; but probably not.

I came home. Looked up the item on the JCPenney website. (On my simple iPod) Ordered it. Paid with PayPal. I hope to never purchase from J.C. Penney again, but I did really need this particular bedspread and pillowsham for the newly refurbished basement bedroom.

Comments (17)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH