Canadian Gals - What Happened to Marilyn on City Line?

dex215

I just got back to watching City Line and there's no Marilyn. Anybody know what happened to her? Heard one of the guest hosts say that they have to get another host for the show. I really enjoyed Marilyn on the show and it doesn't seem quite the same without her.

SaveComment7Like
Comments (7)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
flowerpotmama

I found this...

Marilyn Denis leaving CityLine
By BILL HARRIS - Sun Media

Marilyn Denis is leaving Citytv's CityLine, although she's sticking with her current employer, which technically now is CTV.

If that sounds confusing, well, it is.

But as a viewer, what you need to know is this: In the coming months, Denis' 19-year run as the host of the afternoon CityLine on Citytv will come to an end. She quickly will re-emerge, however, with her own daytime show on CTV, likely later this year.

"She's a CTV employee," CTV's vice-president of communications Scott Henderson said yesterday.

"She's a CTV on-air personality and she is continuing with CityLine during the transitional stage, but when her commitment with City-Line ends, she will continue with CTV."

When Henderson mentions the "transitional stage," he's referring to the takeover of the former CHUM empire by CTV, as well as the concurrent severing of the old CHUM-City alliance.

The five Citytv stations across Canada were to have been part of CTV's $1.7-billion purchase of CHUM.

Last year, however, the CRTC ruled the Citytv stations could not remain with CTV. Those five Citytv stations subsequently were sold to Rogers for $375 million.

Denis technically was a CHUM employee, and she still does a morning radio show on CHUM-FM (which now also is owned by CTV). So the new reality as far as CityLine goes is that Denis presently is a CTV employee doing a show for Rogers.

Obviously, that's not a situation that could continue forever.

"Although it is too premature to publicly share details of our future plans for CityLine, we are working hard on exciting new concepts for the future," said Jamie Haggarty, the vice-president and general manager of Citytv Toronto. "We will miss Marilyn. However, we are enthusiastic about the opportunities that lie ahead."

When asked if any dates have been set for Denis' transition, Henderson said, "There's no timeline. It's not like there's a specific contract or commitment. For example, CP24 now is a CTV station that still is airing CityNews, so we're still in the transitional stage.

"There's a little bit of sharing going on. But ultimately, when Marilyn's time at City-Line ends, she'll stay with CTV."

I liked Marilyn. That's a shame. :(

Danielle

Save    
Jasdip

All summer they've been running CityLine using different women as guest hosts. e.g. Dina from Breakfast Television (in Toronto) as well as Jennifer Valentine, Catherine Humphries etc.

The new show starts Monday at 9am now (vs 10 am that it used to be) with the new host. Marilyn has her new show starting in Sept as well. A daytime talk show on CTV. I'm not sure when that is starting or who the new permanent host will be on CityLine.

Sherry

Save    
mariend

Sure wish we could subscribe to Canadian TV here in the states. I love alot of their programs.

Save    
jannie

When I lived in Buffalo, we could pick up three Canadian TV channels. I loved their shows. They had many US shows and always had episodes on before the regular US channels did. I could see brand-new Star Treks on Monday instead of waiting til Thursday night.

Save    
jannie

Two of my favorite Canadian-made TV shows were "The Pig and Whistle", an entertainment-variety show and "The Beachcombers", a great family show. OJ or anybody else remember these great shows? They were on in the 60's and 70's.

Save    
Jasdip

The pig and whistle! Wow, I vaguely remember that as a teeny kid.
I never got into the Beachcombers but it had a large following.

The biggie home-grown Canadian show is Corner Gas. It's been on for about 6 yrs, and this is it's last season. Real high in the ratings and they want to leave on a high point.

I love cooking shows and the FoodNetwork has good cooks but a LOT of repeats. I guess Barefoot doesn't sell a lot of her shows to us.
There are far too many Restaurant makeovers and top chef shows and not enough cooking shows IMO. I would love to have more of the US cooking stations here, I'm sure there is more variety.

Save    
Jasdip

I wrote to CityLine to see who the new host would be. I thought the new one was supposed to be starting this morning.

I received a response, and they still haven't decided who it will be, but they will make a decision soon. They've also changed the time from 10 to 9 am. They feel this is a better timeslot, so it immediately follows Breakfast Television and will keep the Canadian content constant.

Just thought I'd let you know...

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Modern Architecture Modern Canadian Homes Showcase Clever Entryways
From hidden doors to sculptural steps, the entrances to these Ontario, Canada, dwellings make homecoming a special pleasure
Full Story
Front Yard Ideas Water and Fire Mingle in a Canadian Front Yard
If the illuminated moat winding through this Ontario patio doesn't dazzle you, the 8-foot-wide fireplace will
Full Story
City Guides Travel Guide: Vancouver for Design Lovers
You'll find more than just great architecture in this diverse coastal Canadian city — terrific parks, shops, eateries and museums abound too
Full Story