SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
silvercanadian

What options between fence and city sidewalk?

silvercanadian
12 years ago

We have a corner lot which. Front of house faces west with city street in front, neighbours on the north and east, then remaining side along city street faces south. The south side will have a fence from the back of the house to meet the south neighbour's rear fence. It will be 45' of fence. Between the fence (on our property line) and the city sidewalk, there will be about 9' of city property.

The common things to see in that area are plain grass or decorative rock. The biggest problems with plain grass is having to haul your mower outside of your yard to maintain it and people tend to let their dogs crap on it since you can't see them because of your fence. The problem with rock is little kids and animals tend to walk on it and scatter the rock all over the sidewalk and kick it onto the street.

The city does give us free trees and I will have them plant some along that side next year, likely 3 will be what they would put. So, whatever I put there needs to have the capability to house trees.

I was thinking maybe planting a bunch of junipers or some other low growing plant that animals wouldn't want to walk on and people wouldn't either. But then when winter comes and that area is covered in snow, anyone trampling through the snow there will be trampling my plants under the snow.

Anyone have any ideas?

Comments (14)