SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cowhorncreek

Recipes for Green Beans - Week 1 September 2013

I apologize for not posting yesterday. Had a very bad headache and was in a dark room in a bed most of the day.

This is the green bean casserole I have to make every Thanksgiving. It is very, very good.

My Fabulous Green Bean Casserole
This is the only one my family loves to eat. I have to make it every Thanksgiving.

3 cans Blue Lake cut green beans, drained (I use whole green beans)
1 10-oz jar sliced mushrooms, drained
1 large onion, chopped
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup flour
1 cup whole milk
1 cup heavy cream
3/4 pound shredded cheddar cheese (I use 3 large handfuls)
1 teaspoons soy sauce
1 teaspoon MSG, optional (I use Accent)
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon Tabasco sauce (I use about 4-5 shakes out of the bottle)
1 8-oz can water chestnuts, drained and chopped (I use 4-oz)

Put drained beans a baking dish. Place chopped water chestnuts on top of beans. Saut� mushrooms and onion in 1/2 cup butter. Add flour and mix thoroughly. Add black pepper and MSG. Measure milk and cream into 2 cup measuring cup; add soy sauce, MSG, Worcestershire sauce, and Tabasco sauce to milk; stir. Pour milk into flour mixture and stir thoroughly. Add cheese and stir to distribute. Pour over green beans in baking dish. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. You can actually cook at a lower temperature for a longer period of time or vice versa; just watch and do not let get real brown.

You can also top with a mixture of bread or cracker crumbs and butter before baking. I just don't particularly care for it that way, because the gold from the cheese is so pretty. This is one of those dishes you can also prepare the day before, then just stick in oven before serving. I think it is actually better the second day.

This post was edited by walnutcreek on Mon, Sep 2, 13 at 11:59

Comments (23)