SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rudebekia

Do You Worry About Money?

Rudebekia
14 years ago

Just wondering. . .I'd like to find some remedy for this anxiety. I'm truly trying my best, but expenses seem to be far outweighing take-home pay lately. When it rains it pours: after a failed root canal, just found out my insurance doesn't cover the oral surgery I now need to try to locate the source of pain. More $$$ after an already expensive month. How do you all cope?

Comments (31)

• barbara3
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Wine helps!

Seriously, I try to budget the best I can but something always comes along to bite me in the ass. I don't worry anymore because worrying doesn't solve anything. If I overspend the budget (ex. unexpected vet bill) this month, I will go on an austerity program next month (ex. I won't be taking a quilting class I wanted to take). It's a case of robbing Peter to pay Paul most of the time.

• western_pa_luann
    14 years ago

Nope... no worrying here.

Worrying is just a waste of my time - it does not serve ANY purpose!

• Related Discussions

What climate/location challenges do you have to worry about?

Q

Comments (12)
    I am with oldryder, My biggest challenges are coming with changing weather/seasonal patterns. growing season is longer here as well, but that "early" spring just seems to wake stuff up too soon. Our frosts are not much later but the plants are all more advanced when they come....the long mild falls could become useful for late ripening varieties and second garden plantings...but I sure do miss the snow, and I thought I left ticks behind when I came north. I have not noticed a large change in pest/disease pressure yet, but I do believe it is coming. FB at least is seen now and then and used to be almost unheard of.
    ...See More

Do you worry about plant theft?

Q

Comments (16)
    It DOES stink to have to even think that people would make off with your plants, nothing has happened - yet. I only thought of it because this potted Intrigue was blooming and I knew around Mother's Day is high plant theft time. All my other "good" roses are in my tiny townhouse garden in back, it amuses me to think of someone trying to come over the fence in the dark - I have run lateral climbers along the top of the fence and I really hope any burglar will run smack into the thoroughly vicious Englantyne, with her thorny octopus canes (: That said, I dream of the day I retire to some small town out in the country where I can line my lot with the thorniest rugosas I can find - and get all those hips in the fall....and get some big dogs too. Where I work, we have even had plants from the office vanish!
    ...See More

do you worry about bringing home chilli thrips?

Q

Comments (5)
    Thanks, Anna. I like a bargain and I have 'rescued' more plants that I should. I hope I am gaining some wisdom but sometimes the plant lust just strikes and logic goes out the window. I think I did the right thing by taking the plants back. Sally, our neighborhood is not overly landscaped or gardened, so perhaps the chilli thrips haven't found us yet. I don't like to spray, so whatever starts to look bad or dies, I am going to have to live with. Isn't that the way, just when you're starting to have fun, something happens to spoil it?? I don't have any suggestions about what you can plant in place of the KOs, Sally. You are warmer than I am. We are farther from any ocean or canals and sorry we don't have the temperature moderation the water provides. If we were warmer, I'd try some more colorful leaved tropicals. Still learning how to garden in Florida, Marcia
    ...See More

Pain sufferers...do you worry about the holidays?

Q

Comments (63)
    I do understand Kathi about age and concerns. Not to compare, but my 84 year old mom has had a couple of surgeries. All was well and she wishes she wouldn't have put them off as long as she did. She's a lot like me and thinks stuff will improve with time....(yeah...no it's won't). But...I said to her, what if you have one more year to live and are able to do it pain free? What if it's 5 years? Ten? Kathi, wouldn't you and your husband be so happy to know that the next 10 years of his life would be spent pain free? Sorry to be all opinionated when you didn't ask, but this episode (and the positive prodding of folks on this great forum) has REALLY gotten me thinking about quality of life.... It matters, you know? I was pretty much in a state of "well, there's another day out of the way"...and that's no way to live. I was wishing my life away...not good. ANYHOO enough of me and my doings. I really hope your hubs gets to do whatever is best for him...and that does OF COURSE include getting to be as pain-free as he possibly can.
    ...See More
  • hgl_gaylemarie
    14 years ago

It's more of a "concern" than worry. I am very concerned for my future.

• sjerin
    14 years ago

Marita--It's not my place to say, but of course I will anyway as I'm rather a bossy person. Try again with the insurance company! Enlist the help of your dentist to word the request in a way that will hopefully be covered. Here we go again; it isn't right that your insurance would deny coverage since you have so obvious a problem and it is causing pain. If you can, fight!

• rosemaryt
    14 years ago

I think we *all* know that worry doesn't change anything, but how do you STOP worrying when something (like money) is heavy on your mind?

I worry about money but less now that I once did - and mainly because I don't have the money worries that I had three years ago. Three years ago, I was living on my own and making less than $12,000 a year. It's not easy being cheap, but it is do-able.

Rose

• mariend
    14 years ago

Sometimes dental procedures are covered unde medical insurance depending on what the problem is.. Also it is the way your dentist codes the problem. You should be able to call your insurance company and talk to a representative. Yes dental work is very expensive and sometimes you have to fight to get the insurance to pay it. Sad to say, sometimes the insurance person in the dental office just does not want to bother clarifying the procedure. Be firm and insist. Check your copy of the policy.

• Lindsey_CA
    14 years ago

No, I wouldn't say that I worry about money, but I'm thinking about it more these days.

My husband and I both work for the State of California. He's a senior-level attorney, and I'm a Staff Information Systems Analyst. We're both "topped out" on the pay scale for our classifications, so we do have a better-than-decent combined salary. BUT, the mandated three (unpaid) furlough days each month has reduced our monthly income by over $2,300. We certainly have enough money to make the house payment, utilities, etc.; and both cars are fully paid for... But, it has affected the amount of disposable "fun money" that we spend each month. So, in that way it has affected our lifestyle to a certain degree. We used to only "brown bag" our lunch maybe one or two days a month. Now, we only go out to lunch maybe three times each month, and we "brown bag" it the rest of the time. We used to go away for weekend trips at least once every 5-6 weeks (take a vacation day to make it a 3-day weekend); but we haven't done that since February, when the furloughs started. We now have at least three, 3-day weekends each month, but we stay home. Thankfully, we've got a big backyard with a nice pool and waterfall, and obscenely comfortable outdoor furniture, so we use our yard as our little "getaway haven." (And I did just buy more of the same line of outdoor furniture, but the two-person sofas [loveseats] were more than 60% off, so even my hubs didn't hesitate when I said I wanted to buy more of the stuff.)

I empathize with you on the dental situation. I had the most awful pain and I wasn't sure if there was a problem with a tooth, or with its root; and, as it turned out, I needed one root canal and two crowns! The dentist sent me to an endodontist for the root canal. His charge for it was $1,323.00. The insurance paid all but $157.50. But then AFTER I got the second crown put on, Delta Dental notified me that the State's policy has a $2,000 per year maximum benefit AND they're no longer allowing the dual coverage that we've had for 20 years... so I now owe my dentist close to $1,000. I never paid attention to the annual limit before, because with the dual coverage I never got close to the limit..

There's only so much in life that we have any control over, so there's no sense in fretting about things you can't change. Just try to rationally think about how you can make a bunch of small adjustments that will add up to enough savings to maintain your peace of mind.

First, talk to your dentist/oral surgeon. Explain that you don't have insurance that will cover the surgery, and ask what they can do. Many times, doctors and dentists will greatly reduce their fees to patients who are uninsured, because they know that they can't get blood from a turnip and a patient is more likely to make steady payments if the total bill is reasonable. And no matter what -- even if they don't reduce the total amount, they WILL work out a payment plan with you. Just be sure to make a payment each month to show your good faith effort to pay it off. If you have a situation where you can't make the full agreed-upon payment one month for whatever reason, call the billing department and explain it to them so they can make a note in your file that you're not ignoring them.

• susan_on
    14 years ago

I just wanted to say, I'm sorry Marita that youre going through this. It's bad enough to have dental problems without having to worry about finances too. I hope it all resolves for you soon.

• lydia1959
    14 years ago

I do to a degree especially since this year we have put a room addition on, paying for a much more expensive college for DD (bonds and tax returns are taking care of the majority of that) and DH just bought a very expensive new (new to him, it's a 2006) truck this week (his mid-life crisis I think). None of this should be a problem... but you never know what life is going to throw you.

In this economy I don't think anyone can take their paycheck for granted.

• glenda_al
    14 years ago

Don't have it to worry about!

• joyfulguy
    14 years ago

No, I don't worry about current income and expenditures. As several have said, worrying does not one bit of good.

I grew up on Dad's farm, some larger than some neighbours', about World War II, so had lots of chores to do when workers went to war. I was taught to be frugal - Grandma didn't like us putting too much butter on the beans, or, when I was sent to the barn to get some milk for breakfast, not shaking the can enough to disperse the cream adequately.

For several years I worked as a relief worker/missionary in Korea just after the Korean War, helping a few of hundreds of thousands of refugees who'd left their earlier lives with nothing but the clothes on their backs try to get their lives back in order ... in a society where, having modern war sweep across most of their country three times, had business, industry and commerce all in a mess - resulting in very few hiring!

Following break-up of my marriage, about 35 years ago when, even in a liberal Protestant church, clergy *didn't do that*, my career was in limbo for a time and I had minimal income for a number of years.

Twenty-five years ago when I began working as a personal financial advisor, I sold mutual funds for a year, but didn't sell enough to suit my sponsors, so didn't continue, so in the years since have continued that activity, but selling no financial products, which I consider a conflict of interest.

I've recommended to many, over the years, one of the foundation stones that should underlie every person's financial building - having an emergency fund of at least 3 to 6 months' (or, better, 9 mos. to a year's) income readily available in case one's current income dies on the vine.

Having fewer pension credits than many, due to lower than average contribution levels, I delayed retirement from a part-time employment till age 70.

I began to receive a government pension available to all, with length of residence qualification, with no increment related to deferral, at age 65 when it becomes available.

I applied for my contributory government pension at age 67, to allow longer (low level) contribution period, and to receive an increased level of payment when one deferred application, at about age 67.

I began to receive my private pension, to which I had not contributed for some time, at age 65.

Some of them are partially indexed.

Living frugally at age 80 - I usually buy a car that's 10 years old or so - I've been living on less than my pension income, which I've been receiving for 13 - 15 years.

I've been able to save and invest part of my income through much of my life, and when Dad died just over 20 years ago, he left three dollars to me to add to every dollar of asset that I had at that time.

I was surprised last fall when the stock market dropped precipitously at how little anxiety the reduction in value of my assets caused me.

Through 50 years or so of investing, I've seen markets drop in value several times before, though never as fast and as far as the one last fall.

I think also that, since I am able to live within my pension income, the fact that I do not need to use part of the investment income or capital to live on has a major effect on my lack of anxiety.

The assets are, more or less, what one might call "play money"!

On the day that you began work, you had brains and hands at work ... and no money. On the day that you retire, you'll have brains and money at work ... and no hands.

Learning how money (and taxes) work: an interesting hobby ... that pays well!

ole joyful

• nancylouise5me
    14 years ago

No, I don't worry about money. We have always lived within our means and when we know a large bill is coming due we adjust according, tighten our belts, wait a little longer to save up for something we want, etc. Unexpected bills are a rarity. As for your insurance bill I would contest it. Sounds like something they should pay. NancyLouise

• fran1523
    14 years ago

I spent most of my life worrying about money, but finally now in retirement, I am comfortable. I know exactly what is coming in and have almost total control over what's going out. Of course, this doesn't stop me from being somewhat frugal. It's just my nature.

• jannie
    14 years ago

Yes, right now I'm up against it. Paid college tuition for my two daughters, now they need more money for books. I've been using credit cards TOO MUCH. And DH wants to go out shopping today for meat and get himself a haircut. Hard to do when your checking account shows zero.

• mylab123
    14 years ago

We have always lived carefully and have no money worries now, but I remember the times when we did - it caused me unending low level anxiety with spikes - that is so NOT healthy.

I don't know how one handles money worries in a healthy and "let it go" way if they are living as carefully and in as responsible a way as possible - and still, the ends often don't meet in the middle - but if you can strike that healthy attitude, you will be so much better off.

I have had friends who found this center when the storm surrounded them for extended periods of time, and they were essentially much more peaceful and happier people than those I knew who never could, certainly I was one of the latter.

As our income increased, we were very careful to NOT equally increase our living style - this is how we became comfortable financially.

• stargazzer
    14 years ago

I worry about what I waste, which doesn't happen often. I rarely buy on impulse. I don't worry about my income.

• idie2live
    14 years ago

Hi all, I don't think I've posted on this board before.

Marita - I've had times of worrying about every penny when I was young with kids, all the way to the other extreme and not worrying at all (spending more than I made). So I know how anxiety feels - been there, done that!

I was 47 yrs old before I had a complete change of mind and started to think about retirement and money. Ten years later (I''m 57) I decided to retire earlier this year (despite the state of my stock).
    The last couple of years I decided to live off of the amount my pension check would be just to see if I could afford to quit work. What I discovered is that I had been so wasteful for so many years. I am fortunate that I worked for company that charges retirees the same for insurance as regular workers ($35.00 a month).
    I know it is easy to say tighten your belt and save (when it's tight enough to cut off circulation already). But try not to fall into that credit card trap - it can get a stranglehold on you. Good luck with the dentisr.
    Loretta

• izzie
    14 years ago

All the time. I freak out every month I pay bills and mortgage and have to pull money out of savings. My husband has no pension..lost job he would have had one with a number of years ago. I don't have one. Have no health insurance. I worry about that everyday. We are just one accident/illness away from total meltdown.

• mcmann
    14 years ago

Welcome to the Kt Loretta- hope to see you posting often.

No- I don't worry about money because my husband does more than enough of that for me. I worry about my children and their ability to handle money needs in the future. My DH and I are fortunate, he has a secure job and a good income and we have always lived well within our means so that we could retire without major financial worries. We seldom took vacations and squirreled money away so that we could pay for the 3 kids college education. When that was done we paid off our houses.

My DH could retire now but he's decided to work a little longer and put money away. He wants to be able to leave a nest egg for the kids to help them out or their children if they ever have any.

• 3katz4me
    14 years ago

Fortunately I no longer "worry" about it much because I've been able to accumulate significant savings over the years. However DH has been through multiple layoffs in the industrial mfg business and every time that happens my angst increases significantly. Even though we have savings for this kind of thing, I get preoccupied about everything we spend money on. When we are both working I don't worry about it because we save and invest first and then spend whatever is left and live within our means.

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    14 years ago

Yes I do, and have for the last 8 years.

• Rudebekia
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I appreciate all your sage advice, everyone. I have a good, steady job, save lots of money, and try hard to live within my means. It is months like this, however, when I needed two medical procedures--and just found out the dental work to the tune of $1500 is not covered--and when my washer and dryer needed replacing after 25 years that I sometimes feel the roof caving in over me. I know I will "absorb" the costs over time, but it will be a lot of time at this point. I have been regularly saving for retirement (I'm single) but having lost at least a 1/3 to a 1/2 of my portfolio in the recent downturn, and knowing that the house I bought three years ago is now worth significantly less than I purchased it for--well, it all leads to anxiety. I "know" I shouldn't worry, but I don't know how to stop. Obviously, worry solves nothing. But it is hard sometimes just to accept what is.

• jemdandy
    14 years ago

Of course, I worry about money, or maybe a better term is concerned. I've been retired for 10 years now, living on my IRA and social security. What I have has got to last me to the end of my days and that is a concern.

The shame of it all is that I am still qualified to work in my field, but younger managers shun hiring in my age group: One reason - we'd prefer part time work, and insurance carriers see the older crowd as high risk and hikes the premiums to the employer should the average age of his workforce increase.

• linda_in_iowa
    14 years ago

For the first time in my adult life, I don't worry about money. My Social Security and my pension provide me with enough money to live on. Also, the older I get the less money I spend. I don't need many clothes since I am not working. I did just buy a new car but I knew what I could afford for monthly payments of it.

• clubm
    14 years ago

Yes I do...you never know no jobs are secure.

• paula_pa
    14 years ago

Yes and no. I tend to have a very pessimistic outlook on the state of the economy. Life just seems harder financially these days.

But somehow, so far, we always seem to have just enough. A little extra would be nice too but I don't want to complain about having just enough when someday I might not have enough.

We live 'in the middle' - not as frugal as some but relatively low overhead - small, inexpensive home, one old paid off SUV for DH and newer economical sedan for me. CC card gets paid off each month.

I do worry about health insurance. With our low overhead, we could handle losing my income but not my health insurance which also covers the boys. DH has to pay a big chunk of his insurance from his company (my company would cover him if he had no insurance but as long as his company offers it, even if he has to pay for it, he cannot be on my plan as primary). If I lost my job we could get coverage from his plan but it would be expensive.

So basically yes, I do worry about money but I try like heck not to worry about it. I will take the most serious financial worries over health issues anyday so I try to keep it in perspective. I certainly don't want worry about money to cause any health issues because then I will really have something to worry about.

• monica_pa Grieves
    14 years ago

I don't, but then, as others have said...we stay away from borrowing, carry no debts. Being retired, we live on SS, Pensions and investment income. I care more about interest rates being too low, it's like getting a pay cut for us retired folks.

• chisue
    14 years ago

I just don't like to spend on 'exciting' things like a root canal ($976 this week) and a crown ($1000 in two weeks), or replacing a washer or dryer, or fixing a roof, etc. (Dental insurance will pay about a quarter of the tooth outlay.)

It helps to look at an annual budget, where I allow for these little excitements, and can see there will still be something left over most years between what comes in and what goes out.

• Kathsgrdn
    14 years ago

Sometimes, especially since I waited so long to save for retirement. I also worry about getting injured in an accident or at work and not being able to work for a long period of time or ever again.

• susie53_gw
    14 years ago

No, I don't worry. We have never been ones to live beyond our means so it has made it much easier on retirement. We are totally debt free and don't live on charge cards. We have been married 42 years and had 3 kids. We knew from the beginning we needed to educate them for them to have a good start on life. We have always been willing to do without or wait until the money was available. I would do it all over again. About 20 years ago we bought a place in the southern part of our state as an investment. This has been nice. We enjoy going down but also know we could sell it if ever needed. I can say we are one of the lucky ones with hubby having a great retirement fund. I am grateful for this. Are we rich, no and very far from it but we have a great life with what we have.

I know it is hard not to worry about things from time to time. Sometimes a person doesn't really have a choice. I have a couple single lady friends that I try to help from time to time with small things that do mean alot. I have an elderly lady down the road that appreciates such small things. I often take her food that I know she would not make for herself. One neighbor takes the daily newspaper to her when they are finished with it. Small things that really doesn't cost us a thing but is worth millions to them..

• lesley8
    14 years ago

Like many of the other posters in this thread, we try to do what we can to live within our means.

We set aside a sum each month to save, pay off credit card balances in full each month, and do the small things like turning off lights and electrical appliances that are not in use. All those things have a way of adding up.

We have also built a portfolio of websites on topic that interest us, that bring in a monthly income for us. We are using this income to save towards our retirement and are working towards replacing my full time salary with this before either of us reach state retirement age.

We use a system called Site Build It! and if you want to know more about it, just do a Google search for "SiteSell retire" without the quotes. At the moment, our websites just about equal my full time salary, so it does make a big difference to our overall income.

Lesley