SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alisande_gw

Speaking of thyroid (endocrine) problems.......

alisande
14 years ago

I was just reading a column by Dr. Michael W. Fox, whose opinions on animal care and behavior I've respected for decades. He was responding to a letter from someone whose dog developed symptoms of Cushing's Disease that were traced to the use of a plastic water dish. When they traded the plastic dish for a glass one, the symptoms disappeared.

Dr. Fox responded in part, "Never use plastic food or water/beverage containers because of the prevalence of endocrine-disrupting chemicals in their composition that leach into foods and drinks--more so when heated. This includes plastic heating pouches."

He went on to say, "Other neglected sources of endocrine- and immune-system-disrupting chemicals are in most room fresheners and scented products, from detergents and kitty litter to floor cleaners and deodorizing sprays."

So.........what does this say about humans?

Coincidentally (except I don't believe in coincidence), when I was out to dinner with some friends Saturday night, one of them mentioned that she can't drink from plastic water bottles--not even one sip. I got distracted and didn't ask her for details. But I think now I will.

I wonder if any of us, especially those with thyroid or other hormonal issues, are being adversely affected by one or more of the products Dr. Fox mentioned.........?

Susan

Comments (4)