SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
debo_2006

My mom's good deed to a stranger

debo_2006
14 years ago

My 73 YO mom had to fly out of state to go to her sister's funeral. While she was in the airport, she was buying a puzzle book to keep her busy on the plane. There was an older lady (who appeared to be in her mid-upper 80s) in front of her who was buying a phone card using her credit card to pay. The cashier told the older lady her card was rejected. The woman was so upset and didn't have any cash or other means to pay. My mom asked the cashier what she was buying and was told a $10 phone card. My mom wipped out a $10 bill and paid for the lady's card.

Another lady behind my mom saw what she did and asked my mom if she knew the lady. Mom said no. The lady wipped out $5 and gave it to my mom saying she had never seen such a generous gesture to give a total stranger $10 without any questions or anything, so she wanted to pay for half because it touched her.

Mom said the older lady asked for her name and address so she could pay her back through the mail. She was very appreciative. Mom told her not to bother and that some day she could do the same for someone else.

I was proud of my mom to hear this story. We grew up very poor without a 2 cents to rub together and I know it made mom feel good that she was able to do this for someone in need.

Comments (23)