SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okwriter

Very delicate question - need advice

okwriter
15 years ago

I hesitated posting this because I do NOT want it to turn into a bash. Please respect that...

A couple who lives nearby (also in the country on an acreage) has a problem. I am friendly with them, so I'd like to be able to offer them some helpful advice---and I think I have---but it has fallen on deaf ears so far. If you have any suggestions, I am willing to listen.

They are older, long since retired and Social Security is their only income. They have cats...way too many cats. I'm guessing there are from 12-20 at any given time. New ones are born, run off or die, and new ones continue being born. I think they are inbred (sp?) and their eyes are often runny...the eyes on the baby ones are sometimes stuck shut, although the man tries to clean the ones he can catch.

They are all outdoor "farm" cats and most are wild but will come to the food dish, but they would scratch or bite if you tried to pick them up. This couple buys bags of cat food and keeps them all fed and watered.

These aren't "crazy" people. They just had a female cat who got pregnant and the problem gradually got out of hand over the years. It's not like they are abusing these cats, so they aren't breaking any laws. I've suggested they start by fixing one female at a time, but even then I don't know how they'd catch the wild ones. And I know for a fact some of the cats there now need to be put down. My most recent suggestion was to talk to the vet and just fess up that they have a problem and see what the vet suggests.

I just want to help or suggest something within their control physically and financially. Should I just offer to start going and taken their females one by one to the vet to be fixed or put down (if I can catch them)?

Comments (16)