SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alisande_gw

When both arms have a sudden "weak spell"

alisande
11 years ago

A month or so ago I was putting half-gallons of milk in the fridge when both my arms suddenly became completely weak and very uncomfortable. It felt as though I had been holding them out straight and trying to hold something extremely heavy until I couldn't take it anymore and my muscles just gave out. It was a little scary, but it didn't last long.

I told my doctor, and he ordered a thalium stress test. It involves walking on a treadmill, and I told the technician I suspected the results might be different if it involved stressing my arms instead of my legs. Although the episode of arm weakness was new, I've always gotten shortness of breath, etc., when holding my arms up. My whole adult life I've had trouble folding sheets and blankets, for instance. But of course the technician did the test like he was supposed to, and the results were normal.

So that was good, but since then I've had three or four more episodes of sudden arm weakness--again, both arms at once. One time I was pushing the baby's stroller up a slight incline, but the other times I was pretty much doing nothing--once at my desk and once getting dressed. And maybe it's my imagination, but my arms seem to be getting a little weaker in general. I've noticed it while mowing the lawn.

Of course I looked up this symptom on the Internet. I found a bunch of posts by people who reported the exact same thing, but the discouraging thing is that despite all sorts of tests none of them seem to have gotten a diagnosis.

Have you experienced--or heard of--anything like this?

Comments (75)