SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
summer_tx

Hope John and Ruthie don't mind....

15 years ago

....but I just got a prompt that a new entry was made at Caring Bridge for her. I know you will want to see the good news!

08/12/08 Â The news is GREAT! Ruthie is out of surgery, and in Intensive Care, doing just fine. After she found out what they did for her, she asked for a hamburger, so I guess sheÂs ok.

First, please let me thank all of you for your love, prayers, good wishes and thoughts, charm bracelets, crosses, prayer shawls, quilts, angels, cards, emails, phone calls, etc., etc. etc. that you sent to Ruthie. AND I must NOT forget the "WHORE RED" fingernails that many of you adopted today. With all of this going for her, how could the outcome have been anything but terrific? You are all wonderful people.

Ruthie went into surgery straight up 9:00 AM  right on schedule. At about 10:40 AM, her surgeon phoned me in the Waiting Room. He told me that they determined that her lymph nodes were NOT involved  which was OUTSTANDING NEWS. (Man! This lady sure has some tough lymph nodes! This is the second cancer issue sheÂs been through, and those little lymph nodes of hers have beat down the beast both times!)

The doctor than said that they were proceeding with the surgey, and hopefully would be able to remove the tumor and any affected lung tissue with the less invasive VATS procedure, which he estimated would take another several hours of surgery.

At about 2:15 PM, Dr. D came to see me, and told me that RuthieÂs surgery was completed, and that she was in Intensive Care. He was able to complete the entire surgery with the VATS procedure, but because of the size and location of the tumor, it was necessary for him to remove the right upper and middle lobe of her right lung  basically she has lost about 25% of her total lung function. He said he was feeling good about not leaving anything (cancer cells) behind, but that she would probably require chemo therapy after she has healed from the surgery.

It is now about 4:00 PM as I write this, and I am with her in her Intensive Care room. She will have to remain here overnight, and than probably tomorrow she will be moved to a regular room. She is not in any pain (thought she is on automatically delivered morphine and also has a manual pump), and is slipping into and out of sleep. But she is ecstatic about the results of her surgery.

I can access wireless Internet here in the hospital, so IÂll go ahead and post this now to CaringBridge. Perhaps tomorrow, Ruthie can dictate her next report.

Thanks again for everything you did for her by being by her side. - John

Comments (40)