SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cherryfizz

I Don't Get Understand the Reaction

Cherryfizz
14 years ago

Maybe it is just me but I don't understand the reaction of people when someone famous dies like Michael Jackson of Elvis Presley. Standing outside the family home, gathering at his Star in Hollywood, crying and swooning, etc. One guy said he just came to say goodbye - to what - a star on the sidewalk?

Sure I am shocked that he died, his death is a loss to the music industry and I have sympathy for his family but I am not going to go stand at his star and wail and cry like I have seen on some news reports. Some people are reacting and talking like he was their best friend. I don't get it.

I don't get celebrity worship, I didn't get it when fans would scream for the Beatles and the girls would all be crying and fainting.

If someone dies in their own family or a close friend would they act the same and have the same reaction?

The way I see actors and actresses or musicians - they aren't any better than you or I. They are good (most of the time) at their chosen profession just like most of you are good at what you do.

Why do people put them on a pedestal? I just don't get it, I have never understood it.

A celebrity's death is a loss to their industry, I would miss their craft but their death would not affect my everyday life like losing a loved one or good friend.

Anne

Comments (64)

• susan_on
    14 years ago

I don't think he should be bashed, but it's too much media attention for my liking. I'm just getting news I want on-line and keeping the TV off otherwise. This time of year that's easy to do. In a few days it will die down. I felt a little "affected" by it, but not enough to change my life in any way. I don't understand people either.

• sjerin
    14 years ago

I think it's a bid for attention, whipped up by mob mentality, pure and simple.

• Related Discussions

Newbie from Australia. So much I don't understand...

Q

Comments (8)
    Muscovy, I use mostly 2 LTR bottles for wsing, they are my favorite containers. Easy to clean out and re-use each year, and I've got some that are 5-6 years old with little deterioration of the plastic. I have never had to water containers over the winter, we usually have wet winters and plenty of water gets in through the hole on top. But it is far colder here and the containers are frozen for most of the winter! Re: direct sowing. I would not try to sow in the mulch. The seeds need a firm and smooth surface to make contact with the soil, and not get lost or washed away, and for the roots to get firmly established. Also, I keep mulch away from seedlings until they are 1/2 - 1 foot tall. Slugs are one of the worst enemies to my seedlings - and the mulch harbors the slugs. This does require me to be diligent about watering the babies. But I don't know if slugs/snails are a problem where you live.
    ...See More

I don't understand?????

Q

Comments (3)
    ALL the forums are much less active than in years past, with just a couple of exceptions. It almost makes me miss usenet. People used to come and go, but the new folks always migrated to the same forums because they were all gathered together in one place where things were easy to find. If you were interested in bicycles, you went one place - usenet.rec.bicycles (with a handful of subgroups, and I'm probably not remembering the exact path). Now that population is scattered all over the internet in hundreds, if not thousands, of related forums, which seem to go in and out of "style". Yup, I almost miss usenet. The camaraderie. The sharing of information. The open discourse. The trolls ... the flame wars. Maybe not after all, LOL!
    ...See More

Couple things I don't understand on.....

Q

Comments (16)
    Unfinished windows--just more cheap construction. Large master bathrooms are the expected situation here in southern California and will hurt your sales situation if the master bath is small. Ditto hall bath. Now the powder room can be small, but it had better be posh. All I know is what DD told me. They did a shoot after they moved into their house. Maybe the producers wanted to get one more area show before they packed up and were willing to do a rush job like this. Don't know. Just like that redecorating show where they show how to set up a room using only furniture and accessories you already own. Some good lessons can be learned watching this show. But it is so obvious that they get the owners to buy a certain color of throw pillows and put them on a bed so that they can "shop the bedroom" for the exact color of finishing touches they need. Happens too often.
    ...See More

I don't understand mental illness...

Q

Comments (25)
    Lazypup thank you so much for sharing your story. So many people misunderstand what mental illness can do to people and those that live with them. My DH was diagnosed with BPD in the last decade. If only he had been diagnosed earlier how different our life might have been, especially financially. He has always been high functioning and a hard worker blah blah blah so it was easy to dismiss the erratic behavior. I can relate to the job walk-offs. One year he had nine different 1099s. He is stablized with a couple drugs that are pretty side effect free for him also. One of the "lucky" ones who hasn't needed lithium. It will never be perfect but it is so much better than before. I also agree with you on the over diagnosing that goes on with children. It is the boys that have it worse since the feminization of our society expects them to have the same behavioral characteristics that girls do. Our children's childhoods are being stolen. They are expected to learn more at an earlier age,have a lengthened school day with less recess,not given opportunity to blow off steam and burn off that excess energy and have every minute of their waking hours micro-managed. Yet at the same time many are still drinking out of those stupid sippy cups and being pushed around in strollers at age 5.
    ...See More
  • pattico_gw
    14 years ago

to be honest...I wouldn't have walked across the street to see him alive or dead. I have no respect for him. Maybe years ago when he was just a kid....but to me he was just a nasty creepy thing...

My daughters were just little when Elvis died and I'm sure they had never listened to his music...but they just cried and cried the whole evening...I could never understand why it effected them like it did...Denny and I found it rather funny...(their being so upset, not his passing away)
    Now on another thought...I'll bet Leslie was crying that day too...LOL...Now there is a fan...

patti

• carol_in_california
    14 years ago

My son died the same day Elvis died...it was very difficult for my other two children to understand all the hoopla about Elvis when they had lost their baby brother. (Scott was 7, Steve was 13 and it was three days before Susie's 11th birthday.
    It was difficult the years following for all of us.

• alisande
    14 years ago

Carol, what an unfortunate convergence of events.

Add me to the Not Celebrity-Obsessed But Sad About Princess Diana Club.

• LorifromUtah
    14 years ago

I don't get it either.
    I've often wondered what the celebrity worshippers do when a real person in their lives die?

Mob mentality is a good word for what they do and a bid for attention.

Maybe we're too normal to understand?
    Or perhaps a better word would be 'realistic'?
    I choose to reserve that kind of emotion and reaction for real life situations.

Lori

• ruthieg__tx
    14 years ago

People are going off the deep end over Jacko's death. I'm even seeing it on the boards...people who actually say that while they admired him, they didn't like the life he lived are getting beat up by people saying what a fabulous musical genius he was....OK so what...he was also weird and I have every right to voice my opinion. I'm sorry he died, I am sorry for his family and his loved ones but I still think he was a whacko Jacko...

• mcmann
    14 years ago

It just seems that everthing is so exaggerated these days. So too with displays of sympathy, overblown eulogies, television renditions of minute by minute accounts of the deceased's life, wailing in the streets etc.

As sad as it was when Princess Diana died I kept wishing that someone in her family would appeal to the public to take all that money that they were spending on flowers, candles, bears etc. that they were piling in front of the gates and donate it to one of her charities.

• litereader
    14 years ago

On another thread on this site, some folks felt that it was improper to speak ill of the dead. Does that mean that the only thing you could say about Adolf Hitler was that he loved his dog and his uniform was always pressed?

• Marcia Thornley
    14 years ago

I wish more people would use that passion and energy to get excited about other things. Global warming, recycling, poverty, child and senior abuse etc. the list goes on. I think he was a genius about music and composing and I am genuinely sad that he has died but I hope he would prefer to see us remember and honour him by helping to solve some world problems, not gather outside his home and wail!

• hayjud_mn
    14 years ago

Anne, I'm glad you spoke up and said what I felt too.
    Pattico too.
    This mentality makes me sick!

Thanks both of you, I couldn't agree more.

• rthummer
    14 years ago

Who just said mob mentality? I agree 100% with that completely... Also, I have wondered if some of those ones you see on t.v. bawling, and swooning, are not haming it up for their 5 minutes worth of fame... When they were probably the same ones that were about to throw the man in the can when he was on trial several years ago. Pleeeeez...
    Some people have an unquenchable desire to belong and they are the ones that feed into the mob mentality frenzy.

If you will notice on this forum, there will be a certain tone to threads, and then all of a sudden someone will speak a different opinion and then others will jump on that ones opinion and back and forth...MOB MENTALITY! It is sometimes just fun to sit back and watch, and sometimes sad when you see a member beat up for THEIR opinion. I wonder if that happens because it is peoples true opinions-or they want acceptance by another Kt member. I WONDER!! (We may NEVER know, Only the SHADOW knows!)

That is why when someone says "What in the heck are you all swooning and going crazy MJ for?" (kinda like telling the emperor he had on no clothes) They get all tore up and mad, because they were in the zing moment, kumbayah moment, mob mentality moment, I want to be one of them moment, whatever you want to call it. Some one real comes in and says you all are acting like a bunch of lunatics!!! Then they realize how they are acting and get mad at the person who called them on it!

• irishdancersgram
    14 years ago

Anne, You said it perfectly! I don't get it either....I've thought of him as a pervert and always will.....

• glenda_al
    14 years ago

Think the media is partly to blame.
    Media should be blamed for a LOT of things!

• sue_va
    14 years ago

Is there room in this crowd for one more who doesn't get it?

Never have been a celeb watcher. Of course I've had favorite singers, but never put them on a pedestal.

Most celebs I wouldn't even recognize if they walked in on me.

Actually I haven't seen a lot of the reactions some of you have mentioned, like swooning over his star, etc. because I haven't had the TV on long enough today. . .on purpose.

As for MJ, I never appreciated his crotch-grabbing "talent."

Of course I feel for the family. Wonder if they really. really, truly loved him?

Enough is enough.

Sue

• lindaohnowga
    14 years ago

Move over gals and let this gal in to join all of you who feel as Anne does. Ruthie I share your same opinion. I'm sick of seeing and hearing about him on every danged channel.

• sheilajoyce_gw
    14 years ago

I don't get it either, but I do think some people are seeking attention, media attention especially. They love to get interviewed by the press, and the press seem to egg them on to emote.

• barb_from_pa
    14 years ago

media

• neesie
    14 years ago

Here's my philosophy: when it's family or friends you have a memorial service, a gathering, etc. People that you can comfort and can comfort you.

When it's someone famous that we "know" but really don't know we feel there's some closure missing. Therefore I believe they gather at the star on the walk of fame or other places to be with others feeling the same loss.

As I said in another thread, I am not a Michael fan. But when Johnny Cash died, even though it was imminent, I felt a loss. That day and for days after I posted on his website. It felt good to be with others that felt the loss also and had nice memories to share.

• cynic
    14 years ago

Maybe we should make some appetizers or order pizza as I'm dumbfounded by the celebworshippers too. And how radical they get! Good gawd, you can call their babies ugly, kill their pets and spit in their Aunt Mabel's tuna casserole, but mention getting sick of SuBo, Wacko, J&K+8 or whatever the diety-du-jour happens to be tying up the headlines ad-nauseum and look out! LOL

There's been people's deaths that have bothered me for the loss of their talent, but I've never gone and stood on a sidewalk and wailed. I've even shed a tear or two for some. But there's some... well, their deaths just are fodder for that many more jokes. Death is part of life. Some die way too early. For people close to them it's tragic but the world didn't come to an end when my godson lost his life in Iraq. Celebrities get away with crimes that average people can't. Frankly they're not much to worship IMO.

And really, you have to laugh at these people that went to the wrong star to cry! However many packing the street by radio show host's star. I wonder if they went oops, never mind, walked around and then start over?

I haven't seen it discussed but did anyone else watch the Phillipine boys prison tribute? Gotta give credit for them doing the shows for people but I spit my tea when 1400+ boys are doing a tribute to Wacko and they all cup their hands over their crotches and later are bending over sticking their butts in the air! If that doesn't bring him back to life, nothing will!

And for the obligatory "speak only nice of the dead", Mussolini made the trains run on time!

• glenda_al
    14 years ago

And what do you think about THE GREAT Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton's presence? duh!!!!

• sheilajoyce_gw
    14 years ago

They REALLY like the media!!!!!

• Lily316
    14 years ago

I haven't swooned over someone since I was a teen. I was shocked and and saddened by the lost of this talented guy who was so messed up personally but I never shed a tear, nor do I ever for anyone I don't know except Princess Di and JFK Jr.

• joyfulguy
    14 years ago

For many years now we've gone ga-ga over the rates of income that many entertainers were able to develop.

Rome was big on entertainment shortly before it fell.

As have other civilizations.

Historian Arnold Toynbee, in studying civilizations over 50 years ago, said that our civilization shows a number of signs similar to those found in various others when they were near the end of their heyday and about to fall.

As several have said ... we have a number of serious issues in the world with which it is essential that we deal ... and, in several cases, it needs to be dealt with soon.

Let us hope that we will have sense enough to deal substantially with those crucial issues before they overwhelm us.

ole joyful

• samkaren
    14 years ago

Anne
    I'm glad you posted this. I don't have the internet at home so I had to wait until I got to work.

My reaction of course was shock but by the next day I was tired of it.

I call this reaction "emotional Hypocrisy". Those who feel the need to rush out and buy his albums, stand in front of his home (which he hasn't lived in sice what..1970), stand in line for hours to see his star on the walk of fame, and even MTV airing his videos. When was the last time MTV aired videos?

I enjoyed his music and I feel sorry for his family, but I have to say that I am tired of "Thriller" already, "Bille Jean" makes me sick, and I am still wondering why (if he was so innocent) he paid millions to the kids who accused him of inappropriate behavior all these years.

SamKaren
    your resident DJ

• littlebit_gw
    14 years ago

I think for some it could have to do with the loss of childhood, and the teen years, not Micheal's but the since of our own aging and mortality. I mean if the star of our childhood could die, then could our own death be that far off?
    How many of us here remember the J 5 and ABC, watching the TV show, then dancing at our first dance to Billy Jean or trying to moonwalk with our sisters and our friends.I remember playing Thriller on the record player so many times that my dad was ready to break that album in two. He was a part of most of our youth and with his passing it is a reminder that we are losing more and more of our youth each and every day. Yes in his latter years, he had issues was he guilty of what he was accused?? I don't know but I do know that for many of us, he was a HUGE part of our youth.
    I am sadden by his death, his family and his children have lost a part of their family. A brother, a son, an uncle...would I go to his house or his star, no...Have I watched any of the videos, Yes.. I listened to his music yesterday while I cleaned the house, but I also watched a special on Farrah and one last night on Billy Mays.

• heather_on
    14 years ago

I agree with you totally Anne. I don't get it either.

• FlamingO in AR
    14 years ago

I agree with you 100%, too, Fizz. I don't get it and I don't want to get it. And I blame the media whipping up the feeding frenzy, too.

I've left the TV off 95% of the time because while I'm sorry he's dead, I just don't really care other than feeling sorry for his real loved ones. A lot of good people die young and you never hear a word about them, you'd think he was the only one that mattered.

• molly109
    14 years ago

Boy - is this thread refreshing. I was beginning
    to think I wasn't normal. I don't get it - and
    never got it. It too bad, but...

These people are strange. They are the same ones
    at Concerts who scream for the entire show and cannot
    possibly hear a bit of it. If they are sitting
    near me - I come very close to murder.

I don't get paying that much, and just listening to
    myself scream. Idiots. LOl

• margad
    14 years ago

I don't understand it either. This celebrity worship is way overboard. I am so tired of hearing Michal Jackson news, Is anything else going on in the world?

• caroline1947
    14 years ago

I DONT GET IT either!!! These people get more media coverage than if Jesus came back!!!

• rthummer
    14 years ago

I disagree - Caroline, Don't think you are right about THAT prediction...

Rev 1:7 "Look, he is coming with the clouds, and every eye will see him, even those who pierced him; and all the peoples of the earth will mourn because of him. So shall it be! Amen." NIV

Matt 24:30 "At that time the sign of the Son of Man will appear in the sky, and all the nations of the earth will mourn. They will see the Son of Man coming on the clouds of the sky, with power and great glory." NIV

• chisue
    14 years ago

IMO people with plain ordinary lives enjoy living vicariously by *following* the emotional turmoil in the lives of 'celebrities' (Def: People famous for being famous.) The 'famous' and their hangers-on know how to play this. In this case, the heirs to a fortune want to keep this playing for a LONG time.

I 'bout choked on my coffee this morning when a radio host introduced a Professor of Pop Culture at some universtiy. He sounded as wacko as what he studies. He compared coverage of the Twin Towers with the Jackson blitz. (Kinda *different* events, doncha think?) Somewhere in his ramblings was the fact that people eventually get tired of whatever is being reported 24/7, but that media is afraid to lose market share by being first to drop the overkill.

One of the kids in my neighborhood came from a family that dwelt upon tragic events -- sucked them up and recounted them, wide-eyed. (Ooooo, isn't that AWFUL! Listen, I hear a fire engine! Did you hear who just DIED?) I remember one rather challenged child riding his bicycle through town yelling, "The Pope is Dead," like a town crier. (I doubt he had a clue as to what he was saying, but he was sure enjoying the drama.)

DH looks at all this hoop-la of vigils and tributes and wonders, "Don't these people have jobs or lives?" (Do kids still follow bands around, like the Dead-Heads? Who's paying for it?)

• mcmann
    14 years ago

Cynic- The prisoners in that Philippine prison have been doing that Michael Jackson routine for a couple of years. They have monthly dance classes as part of their physical fitness program. It was one of those 'strange but true' stories.

• hale_bopp
    14 years ago

Amen, Rthummer!!!!! I think about those very verses when this kind of stuff happens in the media. :)

Blessings,
    Haley

• mylab123
    14 years ago

Add me on the the "I don't get it" crowd. The people we tend to worship and mourn deeply as a nation the most tends to be those who do nothing more than ENTERTAIN us - how crazy is that? Friends and family, of course. Total strangers who never had any contact at all? It's almost freaky, to me anyway.

Farrah Fawcett did contribute something of real human value at the very end of her life when she decided to document her cancer fight. People (or their families) who become ill with her cancer or any cancer might get great value from this on a personal level as they fight their own battle - a value some might not have in their lives, if she had not chosen to document a very private struggle in her life. She contributed value to the human struggle with something that will elevate the lives of many in great need. Her friends gave example of what true friendship really is and what that definition actually requires - something we might need to learn from for when our own demonstration of true friendship gets tested, as in Alanis Stewart. There were human, life lessons to be gained from her documentary. She handed something to us as a people which will elevate us in a time of great need.

However, I have no understanding of the Michael Jackson thing - yes he was an *incredible* talent - but he didn't make a documentary about his death that might help others, he lived a very odd and maybe dangerous-to-others life. He provided us entertainment, period. He provided us some fun for tiny spans of time during a few days of our lives. One good teacher has a much greater impact on the elevation of our lives.

His art will be appreciated and enjoyed for many years to come, but as a person - no. I don't get strangers in mourning for him.

It goes to show how disjointed a way hold value about others.

I was supremely irritated that I couldnt' find anything about the situation in Iran or North Korea about Gov. Sandord or about the bills in congress from the time of their deaths until today - and still, hard news is pretty sketchy.

I suspect they are going to beat the Jackson death endlessly to the point of actual nausea, in the same way they did the Anna Nichole Smith death.

After all, it's a money making event and the news channels are in it to win it.

• grammahony
    14 years ago

Patti, I'm really late getting here, but saw where you mentioned my being an Elvis fan. Yes, I cried that day/night. He died, or it came out on the news anyway, a little before 3:00. I was in the breakroom, waiting to start my shift at 3:00-11:00. Some guy who never talked to us/me came up to the table and told us Elvis had died. I hurried out to the hall and called my kids at home to confirm it. Yup, he did. I didn't cry till I was alone. Now I'm such a cry baby about everything. Don't know why.
    Leslie

• hollyinontario
    14 years ago

Add me to the don't get it and not particularly affected inspired by his life style choices.

• frazoo
    14 years ago

I don't get it and I don't like it either. Besides, the more clips you see of MJ from the time he was a child until his recent age...he looks like melting distorted film..ewwww!!

Leslie/KS

• lulie___wayne
    14 years ago

Ditto It kind of reminds me of these people on these game shows who jump up and down hysterically and are sooooo excited about every little thing. I wonder sometimes if it is just me, but I don't think I'd get that excited about anything. Maybe I'm just a dud. I don't know.

• cate52
    14 years ago

Ok -- I'm in agreement here -- but on the bright side [lol] MJ's death & subsequent hoopla on who gets the kids & estate... etc... HAS PUSHED OCTOMOM & JOHN/KATE & 8 turmoil off the radar screen --- A very good thing in my mind!!

• Granlan_TX
    14 years ago

Vultures...Media...Same thing to me. They can't be gone too soon like Michael, bless him.

I hear what y'all are saying, but I also relate to what Littlebit said.

• nanny98
    14 years ago

Wow! Here I am in BC, Canada on our way to our 50 day trip to Alaska and I must add my name to this thread. Thanks all for expressing those very same thoughts that I think of at every celeb sighting and demise. I don't mind the "review" of some of their accomplishments.....but, too much of it is sensationalism. If some have already said that, sorry, I haven't read the whole thread....only so many minutes on line at a time. BTW, BC is some kind of beautiful and weather is perfect! Nanny

• jannie
    14 years ago

I don't understand the crowd mentality. I liked all of
    MJ's music. I think it's the same as the death of anyone. I feel sorry for his family. I would have liked to have seen him "comeback" but it's not the end of my world. I hated watching news TV this past weekend. They were interviewing "fans" and calling it "news".

• Cherryfizz
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Lulie, I am the same way. I don't think I would ever to be able to jump up and down on a game show or even if I saw a celebrity.

I have met a few celebs in my day, royalty, world leaders, and well known politicians but I have never, ever felt extreme excitement at meeting them. I admire the work they do.

I don't care one iota who celebs marry, who they are dating, who is divorcing, who is having an affair, what kind of trouble they get into. Doesn't affect my world. The only ones who should care are the ones closest to them like their family and friends. I don't buy the magazines and I skim over the entertainment section in the newspaper.
    John & Kate? Should I care they are getting a divorce?- I didn't even know who they were until I read about them on here and if I had to give an opinion I think they need to stop exploiting their children for money and fame but really I don't care except maybe feel a litle sorry for the kids.

I enjoyed MJ's videos especially "black and white" video, I danced to Rockin' Robin with my friends in the living room when we were young teenagers, I play it when I do housework because it makes me want to get up and move LOL but I don't think of Michael as the person he is or was when I hear it, I just enjoy the music and beat.

Anne

• kathi_mdgd
    14 years ago

Add me to the don't get it list also.I feel the same about all those shrines to people along the highways/freeways also.
    Kathi

• caroline1947
    14 years ago

rthummer...I am familiar with those scriptures,and am lookig forward to His coming,,,I wasn't serious about that,,,just my way of saying way too much focus on the celebs!!! What i should have said is there is more focus on the celebs than on Christs return...sad,huh???

• bluejeans4ever
    14 years ago

It's all a matter of opinion, I think. I was never a MJ fan, I liked Thriller but that was about it. Just not my style of music, not saying he wasn't talented.

What I don't get is, how people can say he was the best musican ever. I don't think I ever heard anyone say that while he was alive!

Again, it's all opinion.

I withold my opinion of MJ out of respect for the family. Like they would care what I thought. LOL

BJ

• joyfulguy
    14 years ago

It seems to me wise for folks who are Christians to be careful about becoming too certain about the circumstances surrounding Christ's return.

Let's not forget that the original people who believed in one God and were expecting His Being to come to earth saw the coming, but it was so different from what they were expecting that they said that this wasn't the right one ...

... and they're still expecting a Messiah.

Sometimes I feel that the expectations which many Christians have for the Second Coming seem somewhat similar to what the Jews were expecting the first time.

Further ... the Romans were a tough lot - you had to be, if you were going to subjugate a major portion of the world ... and keep it subjugated.

But their representative in Jerusalem did not see Jesus as threat enough to merit death.

Herod, who was a local exercising power under the Romans, and a bit of a skunk, wasn't in favour of killing Him, either.

Who was it who insisted that He had to go? That there wasn't room enough in the world for their system and His ... and they knew whose had to be gotten rid of!

It was the religious bunch.

If Christ were to come in a quiet fashion, as He did before and walked our streets and talked with us ...

... perhaps His ideas and teaching would be so different from what we're used to and accept ... that we would reject Him, as the religious bunch did before.

Or perhaps walk by and ignore Him, considering His message ineffectual and of little value in the real world.

If Christ were in charge in our communities, nations and the world - they sure would be different places!

ole joyful

• Cherryfizz
    Original Author
    14 years ago

... and why are we talking about religion???