SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pattico_gw

Who taught you to drive???

pattico_gw
14 years ago

Denny taught me....I was 28 years old....He took me to the cemetery to drive the roads around in there...said I couldn't hurt anyone there...

Comments (42)

• millburn_nj_po_mom
    14 years ago

My late brother and my father.

Sheryl - NJ

• Pawprint
    14 years ago

Mom taught me when I was 15.

• Related Discussions

My Mom taught me.......

Q

Comments (4)
    Oh gosh, our Mothers would have liked each other. My Mom taught me most of these things, too. Thanks so much for the memories. Have a wonderful Mothers's Day!! Susie
    ...See More

Things my Mom taught me....

Q

Comments (1)
    My Mom told me..."no answer" is also an answer.
    ...See More

Who taught their cabinet maker (beaded inset)

Q

Comments (5)
    Angie, that's the thing. I have 3 routers, one table ready. I don't have a table -- but I'm thinking now I should start looking. I think I would be much steadier moving the wood with a stable router, rather than the other way around. Nancy, thank you! I thought it was you. I'll email that gentleman first, and if you don't mind, use your name? (Send me your last name, if you're OK with it.) If you want to let him know I'm emailing instead, that's fine too! I would really, at this point, rather pay a pro! :) I appreciate it, ladies! Christine
    ...See More

45 lessons life taught me

Q

Comments (12)
    The words "What does not kill me makes me stronger" were quotes of the German philosopher Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche. For him it meant forebearance and perseverance...about conquering pain (and being struck by mental disease in his mid 40's) and having strength not to give up. The whole quote is: "Did you ever say yes to a pleasure? Oh my friends, then you also said yes to all pain. All things are linked, entwined, in love with one another. What does not kill me makes me stronger." Pain and suffering, pleasure and happiness are integral parts of life. Whatever life throws at you, use it, learn something from it. Sorry, had enough philosophy courses in college to declare it as a second minor. :-)
    ...See More
  • hayjud_mn
    14 years ago

My Dad taught me in a straight stick. Man, that was a screaming time! LOL I was just old enough to get my D L, must have been 16.
    One time my brother was in the back seat, he thought he was going to die! What a snot! LOL He was a year younger then I. It took him 2 tries to pass the test, I past in 1 try. Tah tah!

That was also the last car I ever drove with a straight stick.

• monica_pa Grieves
    14 years ago

My father paid for a professional driving school, and only then would he get into a car with me at the wheel...to practice for my test (which I did pass on the 1st try)

• ivamae
    14 years ago

My Dad taught me when I was about 10 or 11 - a stick shift. I passed first try when I was 16 and came home with a chauffers license as it was in September and they were 1/2 price. I decided to spend the $3.00 he gave me and get the chauffers.

Those were the days. It was a 1935 Ford.

• maryanntx
    14 years ago

My Mom taught me when I was 15. We shopped in 2 different towns which were both 30 miles away. Once we left the house, she would let me drive until we were on the outskirts and then she would take over. She was a great teacher. Just before taking my test when I turned 16, my Dad taught me to parallel park.

• Marilyn Sue McClintock
    14 years ago

I taught myself to drive a horse and buggy. I don't drive anything else but a riding mower :)

Sue

• trishaw
    14 years ago

We had Driver's Ed when I was in school so I think the first time I ever got behind the wheel of a car was with one of the football coaches. Then I learned from my Dad. My brother taught me how to drive stick.

Trish

• OklaMoni
    14 years ago

My husband taught me. Thank goodness, that was before he took pursuit drivers training while on the police force. Otherwise, I might be a "dangerous" driver like him. LOL

Moni

• wildchild
    14 years ago

Drivers Ed in high school. Later practice with my dad. Learned to drive stick in a "windowless" van on a twisty mountain road when DH kept falling asleep at the wheel and had me take over. LOL

• lydia1959
    14 years ago

Dad taught me when I was 15. Put me in the ancient Ford truck - stick shift, no power steering or brakes on a bumpy subdivision road. Took out a mailbox after the first block.

My driving didn't improve much for a few years.

• marygailv
    14 years ago

Gracious, that was so long ago I can hardly remember, but it had to be my Dad, who wasn't a very patient man, so I'm surprised I don't remember more. Of course, that was 60 years ago! I was 20 years old and working and having to find a ride to work with someone else, which wasn't easy as we lived in the country. I finally, before I knew how to drive, bought a used orange coupe. It was a company car that had belonged to Jacobson Lawn Mower Company and that was their company color. I guess he thought it was safer to teach me to drive in my own car rather than the family vehicle. After a couple years I bought the only brand new car I ever had, a Plymouth.

• petaloid
    14 years ago

A driving teacher. My folks paid for lessons as a gift to me -- I highly recommend this!

• soxxxx
    14 years ago

One of the high school coaches who taught drivers' ed in the summer. That was in 1952. He is long ago deceased, but I still hear his voice telling me to do "such and such" when I am driving.

• gadgets
    14 years ago

When I took drivers ed in school, it was a full semester course. You spent 6 wks in a classroom before you were allowed behind the wheel of a car. Then the next 12 wks were in a car for approx 40 minutes a day, 5 days a wk, with 3 other students. I spent almost all summer that year practicing parallel parking on our land, using a set-up Dad created out of 2 x 4s. The only error I made in my driving tests (both written and driving) was I didn't think I'd parked correctly the first time, so pulled forward and did it again. The highway patrol guy said it was perfect the first time. I have NEVER actually parallel parked since then unless I can 'pull right into the space'!!

Shirley

• dotmom
    14 years ago

We lived in a housing development, the only stay-at-home wife/mother who didn't drive, but we had two cars. Some of the neighbors convinced me to get my permit, and when ever any of the neighbor gals needed to go on an errand.....I got another driving lesson. They must have been good teachers. I passed the road test the first time. Dottie

• linda_in_iowa
    14 years ago

My dad taught me when I was 14. Then I had to wait two years to get my license. We had a '49 Studebaker with a stick shift. He would take me out to country roads and teach me. My mom rode in the back seat and covered her eyes. I got my learner's permit on my 16th birthday and went back the next day and got my license.

• des_arc_ya_ya
    14 years ago

My dad - I practiced pulling forward and backing up in the yard. Wasn't my fault that the septic tank was somewhere in the middle! LOL

• patti43
    14 years ago

My grandfather used to let me drive from the outskirts of town to the farm. I remember he had a brand new Dodge Desoto (?) It was gold and white and was a shiny beauty. This was the first car I drove. When we had to turn the first corner he told me to turn the steering wheel to the right--which I did. Darn it, he didn't tell me to turn the wheel BACK to the left. The beautiful car ended up in the ditch and my grandpa said some not-so-nice words. I knew he was mad because he never talked like that. But he did let me drive again.

After that I took driver training. Oh--my oldest sister wrecked the driver training car and sent the teacher to the hospital for stitches. Hmmm! Guess how happy he was to see another one of us sisters? I learned pretty good though. Never had a ticket or been pulled over.

Now learning to shift gears is a whole 'nother story.

• grammahony
    14 years ago

I was 14 when dad would let me drive once in a while. I too learned on a stick shift. Mom would send me up town for a couple of groceries, or to get the mail. I didn't have my license yet, but it was a small town. At 16, I got my license, and had to do my test in Omaha. I passed the 1st try.
    Leslie

• jannie
    14 years ago

My Dad taught me to drive when I was 16. My first husband (now ex-) taught ne to drive a stick-shift in 1975, the same year we split up.

• litereader
    14 years ago

I first learned to drive on a tractor. A cranky thing with stick shift and I had to stand up to reach the clutch. I must have been about 10. I had to take over the field work because my sister and brother were gone and my dad worked full time.

I officially learned to drive in HS drivers' ed. I failed my first driving test because when the examiner told me to make a panic stop, I did and he slid off the seat (LOL). Passed the second test.

My dad did bring in an instructor to teach me how to parallel park -- which I can still do on either side of the street.

• pauline13
    14 years ago

My then boyfriend taught me on his 1950 something Ford stick shift. I can remember driving down one of the main roads in Houston Texas about 50 years ago and him telling me "It's okay. You can drive more than 10 mph." I've always been glad that I learned to drive on a stick shift.

• mariend
    14 years ago

Dad tried to, but at 17 driving across the CA desert to AZ at night, Dad got sleepy so I said I would drive. Guess I fell asleep, next thing I knew, we were going bump, bump etc and Daddy sure woke up in a hurry. Next driving lesson was with a professional driver down town Los Angels and he took us (mom & I ) on every new freeway, road. Sure was glad for that. By the way, first car--1936 plymoth--floor board shift and yes Daddy taught me how to speed shift. Still can do it to this day. Made all our kids learn to drive stick shift and one got a job because of it.

• pekemom
    14 years ago

My late father taught me, with an automatic. I took classes in high school which consisted mainly of a goofy trailer with seats and a screen so you supposedly felt you were driving but usually they didn't work right or were broken. I never did learn how to drive a stick shift, I must be one of the very few.

• litereader
    14 years ago

I always kid my sister because she can only drive automatic transmission cars. I tell her she doesn't really drive, she just steers. I think everyone should learn on a stick shift, then you can drive anything.

• donna37
    14 years ago

Took Driver's Ed in high school, stick shift only. Nearly every car we have owned has been stick shift. Our DDs learned driving here on the farm with the truck helping their Dad haul in hay, stick shift of course.

• twinklenose
    14 years ago

My father, when I was 11.
    In the city where we lived, there was a big Sears store set off in a large parking lot all by itself, and 'back in those days' many stores were closed on Sundays. So, we'd go early on a Sunday morning, and he'd have me drive round and round.:)

In high school, I had drivers ed. I flunked my first test by driving 5 miles too fast in a school zone.:(

But even after obtaining my license, I was too scared to go through the drive-thru of Jack-in-the-Box for something like over a year! I was afraid of hitting one of the poles and knocking down the building!:)

• Kathsgrdn
    14 years ago

I vaguely remember being taught by a driver's ed teacher, who was also my history teacher. My old boyfriend a few years later attempted to teach me how to drive a stick shift.

• marilyn_c
    14 years ago

My father, more or less. He had no patience and I had a hard time with the stick shift. Later on I had to drive to work, and I took the back roads, and so I taught myself.

• nancylee_ky
    14 years ago

My father taught me to drive a stick shift on old country roads but didn't have much patience with me. I did better in Drivers Ed.

• vicki_lv
    14 years ago

When we were kids...our step dad would take us all out into the country. He would get in the back seat and he would make us all take turns driving on the gravel roads. Me, my older sister and my little sister. Our Mom would sit in the passenger seat, smoke cigarettes and not let us roll the windows down. He didn't really teach us to drive. He just cut us loose. I can only imagine what would have happened had we wrecked the car. He was not a very nice man and I was terrified of him.

The first vehicle I bought was a pickup truck with a 3 speed on the column. I taught myself to drive that.

I took driver's ed during the summer through the high school program. I got straight A's, was the best parallel parker in the entire class and passed my test on the first try...the only one in the class to do so. So, of course, I think I am the best driver EVER! LOL :)

• mylab123
    14 years ago

A high school boyfriend.

My father wanted to teach me, but he was a very impatient person who I loved dearly - and wanted to keep on loving him so I chose momentary, current boyfriend instead *LOL*

• loggerbaby123
    14 years ago

omg these were funny. my dad tried once, with a very old ford truck, i think it was a 3 speed on the column, took him backwards in the driveway..i thought it was funny..he didnt.. the only other time hes ever rode with me was to drive the log truck..and i did ok. next was my mom with his new truck..my brother ratted us out lol, so at 14 had to have a friend teach me to drive on a stick..i wont even go there lol but thats all ill drive now. neice is turning 13, so where we live its rural and no ones around lol..so its time for the aunt to pay her daddy back for ratting me out...and her poppy needs a new clutch in our work truck anyway lol..yes im the evil child.!!! loved these stories!

• iowagirl2006
    14 years ago

Those are great stories !

My dad taught me when I was 13. I took Driver's Ed and had my school permit at 14, but no car until I was 16.

I have taught my kids to drive. They get their license's here at 14.5. They can only drive directly to school and back home alone - anywhere with an adult. It is sure nice when they can drive in!

They have been "farm driving" since they were about 10 though - brining trucks out to the field, etc. DS (12) has started driving the bigger rigs this year - tractors with wagon, etc.

When they turn 16 they get a graduated license that allows them to go anywhere between the hours of 6 am and 12:30 pm.... At 17 - they have a full license, unless they have had some violations, then it is 6 months after that.

My kids could back a truck and horse trailer into a shed at 14 - I still have trouble with that! I don't think my brain is wired for that.

• Granlan_TX
    14 years ago

My Sister, Summer, in a Volkswagen bug...we laughed hysterically! LOLOL

• chisue
    14 years ago

Mom paid for lessons when I was 15. I didn't want to waste school hours in 'Driver's Ed'.

My father taught me how to drive in the real world: Go with the traffic flow, not an arbitrary 5 MPH over the limit; be aware of traffic in front, behind and to the side; don't get distracted by conversation or the radio; don't blindly trust other drivers to follow the rules but drive defensively; leave plenty of space between your car and the one ahead.

The only other thing I can think of that my father taught me was how to open a peanut shell. We were at the Ice Capades. I was about five.

The friend of a boyfriend taught me to drive stick when I wanted to buy the Austin Healey 3000. He taught me to down-shift/brake too. He was the nicest guy -- nicer than my BF, as I would learn! (I still miss that car, or probably I miss being young IN that car! LOL)

DS was, of course, crazy to drive before he was even 15. One afternoon when he was home from school I asked if he wanted to go with me to town. He said he didn't. OK. I hopped into our smaller car and left. I've never had 'eyes in the back of my head' like some moms, but *something* made me turn around and start back home after I'd gone about a mile. Sure enough, as I made the turn into our street, there came DS driving our other car. The LOOK on his FACE! He was going about 5 MPH and the street was deserted. I managed not to laugh and made him get out and walk home while I returned the car to the garage and pocketed the keys.

"But, MOM, I wasn't going to leave our street!" Uh, huh. "Go to your room until Dad and I talk about this tonight."

• tammyms
    14 years ago

I was taught to drive by my very laid back Dad. That turned out to be a very good thing!! I think I was about 13 or so and it was a stick shift.

Tammy

• barb_from_pa
    14 years ago

My Dad. I still tease him about his most famouse quote - If I was pulling out and being hesitant (Hey - I was only 16!) I would get "If you're gonna go - go!"

• caroline94535
    14 years ago

My highschool sweetheart in his 1969 Dodge "something."

Those were the days! He never once fussed, yelled, or criticized, not even when I backed into a tree and put a small dent in the bumper.

• minnie_tx
    14 years ago

Im took three lessons from the EZ Method driving school and then got my license

• lindyluwho
    14 years ago

Started off with Daddy but after the first time on the road I said, "Never again". He was leaning out the window whistling "King of the Road"! Made me nervous.

Mama ended up teaching me to drive and I took driver's ed at school.

Linda