SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dedtired

Who drives a Honda CR-V?

dedtired
11 years ago

I need a new car and am considering a 2010 or 2011 Honda CR-V, their little SUV. I think it would be good for the majority of driving I do, which just running around town. My mall is about 10 miles away, so I don't drive a lot of long distances.

However, I do like to go on"road trips" a couple times a year, which for me are drives of several hours. Eight hour trips are the most I can stand in one day! So, how is this car on a long trip? Is there noticeable road noise? Is it comfortable? How's the lumbar support?

I also am considering an Accord (same years) which seems much quieter, but maybe not as much fun.

I also wonder where you hide personal items in a CR-V. For instance, I will drive to a local college to walk their nature trail, and I put my purse in the trunk. I also put shopping bags in there when going from store to store so they are out of sight. How do you hide things in a CR-V?

Any other thoughts about this car? Thanks.

Comments (53)

• dedtired
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Thanks. I did take a cr-v out for a drive and I liked sitting up a little higher. I like the idea of having something to move stuff around,too. My current Accord (1996!!) is limited in what I can move around. I like to garden and sometimes wish I could put larger shrubs, etc in it. Of course the trunk in the newer Accord is huge!

I am concerned about the road noise because I find that very wearing.

I drove a Hyundai Sonata and found the seat to be too hard and I could feel the rough spots in the road more than the Accord.

Ninety percent of the time it is just me and my purse in the car. I could get by with a Smart Car if they weren't so darn dangerous. My neighbors were in a very bad accident and were saved by their new Lexus. The car looked like an accordion after the accident, except the front seat which was still intact except for the air bags.

I just think the CR-V is cute and would be fun to drive, except for those longer trips. I have a feeling I will end up with an Accord. Great car, but so boring.

Dees, good to know I have a car fanatic to turn to!

• cynic
    11 years ago

You really can't judge comfort from someone else's opinion any more than you can get an eyeglass prescription from someone else's experience. You won't be comfortable in the same things they will. You need to try it yourself.

Actually CRVs are actually crossovers, not SUVs. I never really understood the idea of needing AWD when you don't go offroad or have some other reason for it. AWD will generally be noisier and less comfortable in certain ways than a 2wd. FWD will take most people anywhere they go in their AWD/4WD units, especially if you know how to drive them.

For practicality, I'm a fan of minivans and mini to mid sized stretch-cab pickups.

As for hiding things, it's like a station wagon, SUV, crossover or the like, they're more exposed. Some have compartments, underseat storage or little covers to pull over stuff. Or put a cover of your own over it. Or take your chances.

• Related Discussions

Anyone drive a Mazda 5?

Q

Comments (19)
    Close to 2 years ago now, when my neighbor and I were both looking for new cars, we test drove a few Mazdas, including the 5. My neighbor (whose van was totaled) wanted something that would still let her haul gardening stuff -- many bags of mulch, flats of flowers, etc. She did like the 5 when she took it for a test drive herself. Once someone was in the passenger seat, it felt too tight, both in elbow room and head room. We both like a little more "air" over our heads. I don't see too many on the road, either: I think the 5 is just a mini-minivan -- and that people looking for that extra space just go with a traditional minivan. She ended up buying the CX9. She doesn't like it so much anymore -- the handling, the road noise. Road noise seems to be a problem throughout the Mazda line, I learned when I was researching for my new car (test drove the Mazda 3, 6, CX7; bought a Hyundai wagon instead). Concerning your height, there are so many vehicles now that have the seat height adjustment (either standard or as part of an optional pkg), and that will give you a better view of the road and a better handle for parking spaces. (And I agree with the concern that the dealership is so far from you.)
    ...See More

I wish Honda would bring back the MB5

Q

Comments (4)
    The Honda MB5 had a 50cc two stroke motor. That engine is ok for puttering around on the back 40 acres, but is much too small for over the road use especailly for adult weight (just my opinion). I had a 90cc 4-stroke Honda and it strained to make more than 40 mph in a strong headwind. The max. speed I ever saw on that machine was 57 mph and that was with a tailwind on a flat surface. The engine was revved out to its max. It was too small to use as commuter on streets having 35 to 40 mph speed limits. It was ok to learn with in off the road enviorments. Soon after I became profficient enough to ride on the streets, I moved up to the twin cylinder 175 cc Honda and one year later up to the twin cylinder 350 cc. I think these are the reasons its sales was curtailed in the States - not enough performance.
    ...See More

dbfirewife~~~cr-v

Q

Comments (10)
    I have a 2010 model and pretty much love it. I think I caused undo concern over air in the back seat because I am thinking about dd's dog staying cool on our trip. The car is definitely small enough that I don't see it as a problem; the vents can be aimed towards the rear and no one in the back has ever complained that it is too warm. I chose this car because I have a bad back and didn't want to have to bend to get in and out of a car. Honda's back seat was far more comfortable than Toyota's RAV4. I haven't really had a scare with the blind spot but keep meaning to put the little mirror (above) on my driver's side mirror. I do see the newer model seems to have a smaller back window, so a test drive will probably give you a feel as to whether you are uncomfortable with sight views or not.
    ...See More

If you have a Honda CR-V, do you like it?

Q

Comments (4)
    I love my Honda CR-V, which is a 2004 and has about 158,000 miles. (By the way, mine has the side-opening rear door, as opposed to the newer lift-gate.) On the other hand, I do NOT love the dealer service department, which I find overpriced and having a tendency to recommend unnecessary work. Example: When I took the car in for a recall repair, they gave me a list of $1100 of work that was "needed." Our regular mechanic looked at the car and said I could use their list to line the bottom of a birdcage. As a result of this and other service-related experiences with the dealer, I am leaning against buying another car from my local Honda dealer and may go with an Outback, Forester, or RAV-4.
    ...See More
  • nanny98
    11 years ago

We love our CRV and when it snows the AWD helps get us around on our foothills around town. We also tow it behind our motor home. Yes...road noise is a problem. I also loved my former Accords...a bit less noisy and more comfy for me, but DH who does most of the driving these days, likes that 'upright' seating, where the Accord is more leaning back with stretched out legs. Honda's are usually some of the most safe cars to drive and we have had them since 1978.(MY 93 Accord is still on the road and looks really good and has 150,000 miles on it.)

• vee78910
    11 years ago

Dedtired, I'm on my second CRV and love it. Because it sits a bit higher than a sedan, it's easier for both my husband and me to get in and out of. I can carry lumber from the Depot by folding down the back seats and pushing the lumber through to the front. The safety factor is a BIG plus for me. The last CRV I had was crunched back and front in an accident (kid slammed into the rear of the car pushing us into a truck) but we were not hurt at all. Husband's long legs have no trouble in the car. Go for it! I think you'll be greatly pleased.

• abbey_cny
    11 years ago

Hi Dedtired, I am also on my 2nd CRV and loving it. The longest trip I have been on with it is about 8 hours, and didn't find it uncomfortable. With my arthritis any 8 hour trip is going to cause me some discomfort, but I didn't find the CRV to be any worse than my previous cars I took on long trips. Also had a cover on my previous one which covered whatever was in the "trunk". Love the AWD in the bad winters we have here. All my cars have been honda (except for my first) and the CRV is my favorite.

Abbey

• patti43
    11 years ago

Reminds me of my daughter's favorite story when she was small--Chicken Little. Remember..."the sky is falling, the sky is falling."

• dedtired
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Nanny, current Accord is a '96 with nearly 153,000 miles. It runs like a charm and looks darn good. I am tempted to drive it for another 50,000 miles but I get nervous in long trips that something will give out. It needs a new radiator now. If I had a second car, I would keep it, but it is just me and my Honda. If it weren;t for the insurance cost, I'd keep it instead of trading it in.

It would have been good to have 4 wheel drive when I was working. I had some pretty slippery drives to work where my heart was in my throat, but I always got there and back safely. Now if the roads are bad, I just stay home. Last October I got caught in a freak snowstorm in central PA and my little Honda got me home just fine.

I do like the way I can kind of slide out and down from the seat of a cr-v.

I need to go drive them both (cr-v and accord) again and try to decide. I hate car shopping.

• blfenton
    11 years ago

I have a 2007 CRV and as much as I love driving it I would never buy another. Now, you are buying a newer model so maybe they have worked out the problems. So far, with less than 100,000 km (60,000 miles) we have replaced the transmission, the air-conditioning, the rear differential, the wiper motor, and a lock. To be fair Honda has stepped up to the plate and payed for a lot of this but the transmission was a rebuilt one and not a new one.

To be blunt this has been a lemon and every time I drive it I wonder what is going to go wrong next. We drive it skiing a lot and it handles really well in snow and it is easy to drive in the city and easy to park.

• dees_1
    11 years ago

dedtired if we lived closer, I'd go with you! Car shopping is the one thing I enjoy. But I am a brutal negotiator! Brutal!!!!!

blfenton, unfortunately, there are lemons out there. The brand can be the most reliable but there's always one that just doesn't want to work the way it should! I'm glad Honda has treated you right but I know it's frustrating. Here's hoping your next automobile purchase is a better experience!

• nanny98
    11 years ago

Detired, I do understand about the high mileage being scary, so I have given mine to son to drive back and forth to work in our small city. And it is sad to hear about Honda lemons as all of ours have been new...and out the door A-OK...and our Honda dealers have always treated us well. Admittedly, we do live in smaller cities...if that makes a difference and DH is very particular about service and everything being done well.

Blfenton,Hope you have a much better experience with your next purchase.

• kim_okla
    11 years ago

I have a 2008 CRV. I love to drive it but I've never taken it very far. We did consider taking it on a long vacation but it's not as comfortable as the big Dodge pickup.

When I got it, it was between a Subaru Forrester and the Honda. The only subaru dealer was too far away.

I've done nothing but change the oil. I do wish it had a back up camera like the new ones and I like all the stuff I can haul.

• nanny98
    11 years ago

Detired, I do understand about the high mileage being scary, so I have given mine to son to drive back and forth to work in our small city. And it is sad to hear about Honda lemons as all of ours have been new...and out the door A-OK...and our Honda dealers have always treated us well. Admittedly, we do live in smaller cities...if that makes a difference and DH is very particular about service and everything being done well.

Blfenton,Hope you have a much better experience with your next purchase.

• airforceguy
    11 years ago

I have a 2011 CRV EX-L and love it!! Love Honda soo much that I bought it back in the USA and brought it over to Nicaragua with me---AND I have ZERO warranty!! Guess thats how much I trust Honda/Acura. Its a great little crossover/SUV what ever u want to call it.
    With the short driving you are doing, your gas mileage is going to suck! Honda Accord are great cars--if you don't need the room of a CRV, then why not an accord or a Civic?

Not sure if all models of the CRV come with it--but for the back mine has a removable shelf, that 1 can put ur groceries underneath (lots of room)

I negotiated my 2011 CRV all via emails!! In the DC area there are over 20 Honda dealers within a 50 mile region. So I emailed like 18 of them. Told them who I was, how soon I was going to be purchasing, exactly what model I wanted(EX-L) what color. What I wanted from them--the out the door price. I included my email and phone #. Told them not to call me, just email! Of course 1 or 2 did call-I listened to what they had to say, but they were out of the ballpark anyways!! But I widdled it down to my top 5 and then called them to let them know I was a serious buyer. I used a site called truecar.com to get an idea on prices. As well I checked out CRV forums---as quite often they have a section on--"What I paid for my CRV!" So I had a very good idea on what the out the door pricing should be! So thr email negotiated with the salesman and walked away with a very good price--was lower than what truecar stated was the lowest. Supposedly they get the info from banks and insurance companies!

Love our 2011 CRV, fun to drive and fairly comfortable! I drove it last year from Washington DC to Western Canada and back--4500 miles. It gets a good workout on the crappy/rough Nicaraguan roads and no problems at all! Best of luck and make sure ytou do your research (car forums) to find all the + and - of each vehicle your looking at! CRV does NOT get great gas MPG, and some say the drivers seat is a bit stiff (I find it comfy)Best of luck

Here is a link that might be useful: True Car

• MiMi
    11 years ago

I have a CRV and love it! I have to totally disagree with the person that says they ride like and have the space of a civic. I have had a Civic and they do not compare. The CRV rides much smoother and is a lot roomier. It sets up higher then any of the Honda sedans and is easy to get in and out of. No flopping down to get in or climbing up to get out. In the back is a solid divider that you can raise to a higher position if you need something hidden underneath or just need two levels of storage. The AWD feature is handy and I feel safer not only for winter conditions but also rain. It gets around wonderful in snow and sits up high enough to clear a pretty good snow fall. With its shorter wheelbase it manuvers well in parking lots tight areas and parking spaces. It also fits into the garage with plenty of space to walk in front or behind it. I rarely drive on the highway and it never gets less then 22 mph. It has plenty of power to merge onto busy highways. I have not had one single issue with mine no problems what so ever. I never thought it had a lot of road noise and hear very little since I just put a new set of silicone and rubber based Michelin tires on it. I have had mine for 4 years and it looks brand new still. I am a very happy CRV owner and will definately buy another one w

• maire_cate
    11 years ago

One of my neighbors has one and she loves it. But her DH finds it uncomfortable for anything longer than short trips. He thinks the seats are too short and don't offer enough thigh support. He's about 5'10", which isn't tall and he has plenty of leg room but he wishes the front seats were a little deeper.

• maire_cate
    11 years ago

airforceguy - great advice for buying any car. The car forums are great sources for information.

• dedtired
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow, this is the best and most honest info I could have gotten. Thanks for the tip about the forums.

Yes, I would LOVE one of those backup cameras. I am the certified worst backer upper ever. Unfortunately, the navigation puts it out of my price range. Boo hoo. I am jealous when I am driving with someone who has it.

Airforceguy, I can't believe you shipped your car to Nicaragua, although I imagine a good SUV is a necessity there. I don't think I will be giving any car quite that work out.

Okay, I am going to look for car forums now. Any suggestions?

• abbey_cny
    11 years ago

Hello again, Forgot to mention my 2012 CRV has the back up camera (love it) and I got the basic model of the AWD CRV as I couldn't afford the pricier models this time around.

Abbey

• airforceguy
    11 years ago

http://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/ prob the best CRV forum, lots of traffic

http://www.hondasuv.com/members/index.php?s=84cd89a1db30cc76efdf8d268a8466b4 ok CRV forum, not as busy

Do a search on those forums on the CRV and you will find a lot of good info. Of course most people on a CRV forum, love them--but you wil find honest answers on what they dislike!

Most comments I have heard that are negative on the CRV:
    lack of power (everyone wants a V6) some say driver seat uncomy(personal decision), so-so gas mileage

I would also look at the Hyundai Tuscon----we really liked that, very solid, fun to drive, had more stuff and was cheaper than the CRV! Hyundia has improved alot! Many will say the quality is on par with Honda/Toyota!

And like I said before, make sure you need the size of the CRV! My parents bought a Toyota Venza----didnt even bother to test sedans--just test drove suv and cross overs! They relaized they don't need the size of the Venza and would have been better off buying a sedan(camry, accord)

Take ur TIME!!! If you do that you will find a car ur happy with and at a good price! Its people that rush into things that make poor decision--that leaves you unhappy and the car salesman happy!

• dedtired
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, Abbey. I am looking for a used car. I am one of those people who believes that the first owner should take the big depreciation hit! I've found that getting the Nav feature adds a few thousand to the price of a used car, although all things are negotiable.

So folks, is it better to get a 2009 with 30,000 miles or a 2011 with 38,000, all other things being equal? (You there, Dees?)

• dedtired
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the links, AFGuy.

Funny, I looked at a Venza. It's much more than I need, although I like it. Reminds me of my old Oldsmobile station wagon with tons of room. In those days I had kids, dogs, groceries, etc and needed the space. Not now!

That True Car site is great for finding cars, btw. thanks.

• dees_1
    11 years ago

See, this is why I need to go with you! I can't say which purchase is better because I have to look at and drive the car. It also depends on who owned the car before (did it come from an auction? Was it a prior rental? What was the age of the prior owner? How was it driven? Are there maintenance records?. There are just so many factors to consider when buying a used car.

• airforceguy
    11 years ago

from 2007-2011 the CRV was practically the same, few minor changes each yr. If you goto the CRV forums, you can find what years were better.

Thing that sucks with Honda/Toyota--they keep their resale value so well. We initially were going to buy a 1 or 2 yr old CRV, but was not a whole lot diifference!!

You can prob buy a brand new Tuscon, fully loaded for not much difference of a 2009 CRV (or maybe a lower model Tuscon!!)

• dedtired
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Just got back from driving a cr-v (EX-L) and an Accord (EX). I like both of them. I also saw a Corvette on the road and now I want that ;).

I had a 1976 Corvette. It was fine but jeez, so impractical in every way. Not getting another. I am tempted by the Acura TSX, too.

I seem to be getting farther away from a decision rather than closer. The cr-v is so cute, but you are definitely more "aware" of the road, if that makes sense.

Dees, I may hire you to go buy a car for me. Just surprise me.

I still have to drive a Tucson. I sat in my neighbor's but found I had to duck my head to get in it. He however is very short so it may be that he had the seat up higher. I'm 5'6".

Aaaargh. Why isn't this fun?

• blfenton
    11 years ago

2009 vs 2011 - all other things being equal - how much warranty is left on them? Does the warranty carry over to a new owner. Are you buying privately or from a honda dealer?

• airforceguy
    11 years ago

I'm 5'10 and had no probs with the Tuscon! With the CRV--ur higher up(than the accord), which I like--for that reason alone I will prob stay with a crossover//SUV feel safer.

When I test drive vehicles--I make it VERY clear I'm here for a test drive and NOT to talk #'s!! I don't want the salesman yapping to my while I drive!! I shut off the stereo to hear the car!! CRV has a very good turning radius as well!!

If you look around one sees a lot of CRV's--good reason for that. The are not the greatest at any 1 thing---but what they do--they do very well!! Great dependability!! I rather be driving my vehicle then it sitting at the mechanics!!

• airforceguy
    11 years ago

As well, you can buy an actual Honda Warranty from other Honda dealers for MUCH cheaper than what your honda dealer may be offering! If you go the Honda route--Saccucci and Bernardi Honda sell them at a discounted price----can do it all over the phone!!! Found that info out at the CRV forum!!!

If you buy privately--many garages offer a service where they will go over the vehicle!!

If you go with a used 2011--be aware that the original tires that come with the CRV do not last that long----many only get around 20,000-25000 miles on them!! Which is the case for many original (OEM) tires. Plus there are better//Quieter tires to replace them, that will help you enjoy the CRV even more!! But go test drive that Tuscon,lol

• dedtired
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Whe I was at the dealership they wanted to take the keys to my car so they could give me an idea of what I'd get for a trade in. I wasn't that stupid. Then they would have me trapped while they gave me a sales pitch.

Honestly, so far the salesmen haven't been too bad. The one at Carsense was the most persistent, but hey -- they are in sales.

• 3katz4me
    11 years ago

I have a 2011 CRV EX-L. I bought it new. I had a 2003 Accord V6 before this. I wanted an AWD vehicle for Minnesota winters. The CRV serves that purpose well but the Accord definitely offered a more luxurious, powerful ride. I really like the CRV but I've never taken it on a long trip (more than 3 hours). It pretty much just goes around town. I find it to be comfortable and fine to drive - it just doesn't have as much get up and go as the V6 which usually isn't much of a problem but would be more of an issue for passing on a two lane, etc. We have a Honda Pilot that we take on longer drives.

Not having a trunk to lock my valuables in is kind of a concern. It does have the shelf over the cargo area so at least things are not in plain view. If I just have a purse I've been known to lift up the cargo area floor and put it inside the spare tire - thinking pretty unlikely someone will look there. However if I have a briefcase/backpack with a laptop there's no place to hide that.

Ya, I noticed that Honda has started cheaping out on their tires in the last few years - not only on the CRV. I guess that's one way to try to get the price more competitive.

• airforceguy
    11 years ago

Its just not honda with the tires, many other manufacturers do it as well---look at the tire and they are only a 400 rated tire!!

one can take their used car to a carmax----they wil offer you a pricew that good for 7 days!! Gives u an idea what a car dealer will give you. I did that with my Scion XB.

I never mentioned trading in my Scion when I was dealing on my CRV. When I got the price I wanted--went to the dealer AND then asked what they would give me. Was pretty close to what Carmax would, so I traded it at the dealership! PLUS Honda gave me my first 2 maintenance for free, so actually was a better deal! I was prepared to sell it privately though if it had not worked out.

Yes,lol Never give a car salesman ur keys, I made that mistake in my younger days!! I truly detest car salesman! Thats why I preferred the email route!! No games--and your in your comfort zone---ur house!!!

I actually went to one dealer near the end of the process as I thought he was close to what I wanted to pay! He gave me $27400 out the door for the 2011 EX-L. I wanted 27000 flat! He would NOT come down----I almost said, ok, lets do it at 27400, just to get it over with!! BUT I got up and walked out! Which really surprised my wife,lol Just being at the dealership, I wanted to be done with it---did not have that problem at home!! And believe me, no matter what a salesman tells ya, there can be HUGE differences between prices! I had 1 salesman state I was lying to him about a price was offered!!! So do ur homework!!

• lazypup
    11 years ago

Before you make a final decision check out Subaru....

I got my first Subaru new in 1979 and put 355,000 miles on it before I decided it was time to trade...and during that time I had absolutely no maintenance on the drive train other than oil changes..

Jan has a 2000 Subaru Forrester, which is a full time 4wheel drive and it has about 160,000 miles on it, still in perfect running order. Even at 12 yrs old it is still extremely quiet and a nice gentle ride. We get about 16mpg in the city and close to 19mpg on trips but they say the new ones are much better on mileage.

Jan and I take a lot of photo walkabouts that end up overnights and we don't give a thought to a 500 mile trip,,,in fact, we are planning a 2000 mile trip in September.

• airforceguy
    11 years ago

Yes, subaru makes great cars as well...we didn't bother to look at them...as they have nil presence here in Nicaragua!! So not a good thing if something breaks down!! But they get high marks!!

• User
    11 years ago

Did your CRV come with a picnic table? My 2006 did. If not a table did they throw in something else?

• airforceguy
    11 years ago

No picnic table!!! has a removable shelf in the back!!

• dedtired
    Original Author
    11 years ago

A picnic table? what a great idea. The CR-V LX model does not come with the shelf in the back but the ex and ex-l do. I suppose you could have your picnic back there.

I am also going to do some serious looking at the Acura TSX. It's so cute and zippy. Everywhere I go I just look at cars, cars, cars. I actually like getting red lights beause I can sit there and watch the cars go by and think "no, no, no, yes!, no, no, no, yes!" I'm losing it.

• dedtired
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Lazypup, I had a Subaru wagon back in the 70's. I just loved that car. It had the little fog light on the front that was retractable. I could pull a lever and it went into 4 wheel drive and I swear it would climb over anything. I drove it until it was a pile of rust on the ground.

The current Subaru suvs are just a little too rugged looking for me. I also drove a Legacy and did not like it.

• User
    11 years ago

Here is what it looks like:

• dedtired
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I think that is great! I never heard of that with a car. Your car is cute. I like your street, too. The houses I can see are nice.

• jemdandy
    11 years ago

I got my first CR-V 2 months ago and have put enough miles on it evaluate it.

2005 Honda CR-V, front wheel drive
    engine: 2.4 L, 4 cly, VTec (variable valve timing)
    Transmission: 5 speed, automatic

The engine makea about 168 to 170 hp, quite feisty for 2.4 L, naturally aspirated (no super charger or turbo-charger).

This engine is not the most powerful thing on the road, but acceleration on freeway ramps is fine. It cruises nicely at 65 -70 mph. The engine is very quiet. Most interior noise at speed is from wind noise if a window is open. tire noise will depend on tread pattern. With the windows closed, noise is on par with the average 'quiet' car.

The transmission shift are smooth and works hard to keep the engine in its power band. Its not afraid to shift among 3rd, 4th, and 5th gears while under way. A lock-up clutch also is present and contributes to mileage.

Two weeks ago, I did a 3000 mile trip in one week. The last leg was 700 miles in one day. Yep - the seats work.

Highway mileage is about 27 to 29 miles per gallon. At a steady 55 - 60 mph, it should make 30 mpg. This is 50% better than my Jeep Cherokee.

On the 2005 year, the rear door is hinged on the right side and swings open. A small gas cylinder helps to hold the door open. Some may prefer a top hinged door that swings up, but the gas cylinder door prop has to be in good working order especially in cold weather. The two disadvantages to a side hinged door are: 1) There must be enough space behind the vehicle to permit the door to open. This can be a problem if parallel parked close to another vehicel; and 2) Opening the rear door during a rain allows rain to enter whereas a top hinged door offers some rain shielding.

There is no console between the seats, but there are enough cubby holes and bins to suffice. Instead of a console, there is a swing-up shelf between the front seats with two cup holders.

Road clearance is more than the Civic or Accord and the CR-V has a higher center of gravity. To the sedan driver, it may feel top heavy and will not corner as fast. it does not take long to become accustomed to its road feel and its cornering ability is about the same as others in its class.

I bought mine used and it did not have a cargo cover. I odered one and it was easy to install - no tools required. it hides the large storage area behind the rear seats. A window shade cover rolls up to uncover half the space. If more room is needed, the main center piece easily comes out, the back shades roll up and holds the assenbly next to the rear seat thus opening the entire space.

The rear seats are split 40/60% and one or both will fold forward to gain more space for bulky items. Of course, to fold the seats forward, the cargo cover must be removed.

I do not consider the cargo cover to be a deterrient against theft. It merely hides stuff from view, and out of sight is a help A sedan trunk is better, but both a trunk lid and rear door window can be pried open in a few seconds by a determined thief.

The rear window opens on the CR-V.

Its a good vehicle for long stretches. I finished a drive last weekend where the home leg was 7 hours long and passed through the toll system through Chicago.

The Honda CR-V has the nicest 4 cylinder enigne I have ever driven. If I had not known better, I would have supposed it was a 6 cylinder. If your drives include altitude runs up mountains such as west of Devner, a larger engine would be welcome, but for flat-landers, this engine has plenty of power to keep up with traffic.

• User
    11 years ago

Sorry, thats not my car or street. I had to google the picnic table so everyone could see it. I haven't even looked at my table since I got the car, I think a chair would have been much better.

• dedtired
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for that very complete report, Jemdandy. Sounds like you are happy. I'd be looking at a 2010, most likely. My ancient Olds wagon had a back window that went down. Forgot about that. My kids would sit in the way back and torture the driver behind us. Ah, for the days when kids just bounced loosely around the car. If I'd hit a big bump they would have landed on the street.

Joann, I'm sure your street is nice too and thanks for sharing the picnic table.

Oh what to do. Sigh.

• airforceguy
    11 years ago

The Acura TSX would be a fun car to drive!! I had 3 Acura Intergra's and loved them!! If I have my way, 1 of the Acura SUV's will be my next vehicle!!

• dedtired
    Original Author
    11 years ago

My worry about the TSX is that it will be expensive to maintain and also since it is smaller that it will not do well in bad weather. Sometimes we have snowy winters here and sometimes not. They are just the right size for me and I love how they look.

I looked to see the cost of tires between an Accord and a TSX and they are about the same.

• airforceguy
    11 years ago

We lived in the DC area before we left to Nicaragua! CRV did very well in the snow. The AWD (All wheel drive) is automatic, you do not control it, and only comes on when it is needed. The CRV does not use any special tires. Be aware with AWD cars that all tires must have the same tread depth!! So after 15000 miles u have to replace 1 (flat tire) you have to have it within the same tread depth as the others!! They can shave a new tire down to match the other 3 for a small fee---doing that now thru tirerack for my CRV.

DC was hit by a snowstorm shortly after we got our CRV--more of freezing rain than anything.....but the streets were a mess.....Was funny (and frustrating) to see people with their high end sports cars--with sports tires...going no where!!!! Made for some dangerous situations!!

• User
    11 years ago

dedtired, if you don't want the super gas economy that some cars have you will like the CRV. It does have road noise and the seats are not as comfy as others but I do love mine. There is plenty of room, the seats fold down flat in the back and there is plenty of room. Lots of head room too.

BTW ...I live on a dirt road so the pictured one looks better then my road. I have the navy blue crv and wished I had gotten the silver instead. Oh, the crv is very tall too so you need a ladder or long brush to wash it.

• sjerin
    11 years ago

Dedtired: I'm coming late to this (out of town,) and only have a few minutes, but I want to tell you that we have a 2010
    CRV which for the most part, is great. The only difficulty is that my husband gets very uncomfortable and a sore back if we drive any distance. Costco was selling some gel pads for the seat which, along with a towel placed at the lumbar, relieved the problem. We took a 12-hour trip this summer and he didn't have any unusual pain or discomfort. Oh, and I do get annoyed at the hesitation of the gas pedal when I need to "step on it." But other than that, it's a great car. Good luck in your decision!

• airforceguy
    11 years ago

SJERIN----There is a--not a recall, but a service bulletin out that you can goto ur Honda dealer and they will fix that--its just a re-programming of the computer!! Takes like 20 minutes!!!

• dedtired
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Whew -- so much good info. Thanks again!

• sjerin
    11 years ago

Wow, afg, really? Do you know what the service bulletin is titled? I searched but the description is brief so I'm not sure which system the problem involves. I just figured I have the lag because of the 4-cylinder engine--wish it were a 6.

• airforceguy
    11 years ago

All CRV owners should check out CRVownersclub.com Oodles of info on there for al yrs of CRV!!

Check out the RECALL, TSB and NOTICES forum on it!!

http://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/15-recalls-tsbs-notices/

http://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/15-recalls-tsbs-notices/14187-2010-2011-crv-software-update-tsb.html

http://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/15-recalls-tsbs-notices/15378-2010-cr-v-recall-11-049-a.html

What frustrates many on that forum-----why doesnt honda let owners know about some of these fixes that they have out there---would be a lot more happy Honda owners!!!

Cheers

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH