SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alisande_gw

The Case of the Disappearing Ants

alisande
13 years ago

The other day I opened my mailbox to find a mound of ant eggs (about 2" long) covered with little ants. The way I've dealt with this in the past is to brush them out with a soft brush, then wipe out any remaining eggs with a paper towel, and then spray the interior of the mailbox with Raid to keep them out. So I got my brush, latex glove, and paper towels, and went to the barn to get the Raid. Couldn't find it anywhere, so I came back to the mailbox to take care of it without the spray. The ants were gone. There wasn't a sign that they had ever been there.

Then this afternoon I came home and checked the mail. I have an extra-large mailbox, and the whole floor of it was filled with ants. This time the ant-egg mound was at least 4" long, maybe longer.

I had brought my lunch home from the health food store, and wanted to eat it while it was still warm. So I did that, and then I grabbed my supplies--including the new can of Raid I had purchased after the last episode--and went outside. You guessed it.......the ants were gone. I don't understand any of this: where the went, and how and why they got out so fast. All I know is I felt silly standing there all geared up for nothing. :-)

Do we have any experts in ant behavior here?

Susan

Comments (17)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz