SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_327261041

Poorly Sealed NVR Dan Ryan Home and ants ants ants

HU-327261041
4 years ago

Yep Ants galore in my new Dan Ryan Home as nothing is sealed for Water, Vapor, Air or bugs!

Every black dot is an ant.. hundreds running around.

Comments (18)

• cat_ky
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Good grief, all the problems you have been having in this new house, I would be contacting a lawyer. Do you have a home warranty? You can put terro ant bait houses out for the ants. Ants will go in the little houses, and then haul stuff off to the rest of your colony. Ants can invade, any house, so it may not be the fault of the house in this case, although, I have seen you have had a number of problems.

• Sammy
    4 years ago

What’s in your contract vis-à-vis weather sealing? What is code-mandated in your neck of the woods? Is this a photo of the house from when it was under construction? What part of the house are we looking at, the garage?

• PRO
    Jeffrey R. Grenz, General Contractor
    4 years ago

I would love to hear the solutions of a pest expert on this.

• millworkman
    4 years ago

I have to ask, did you see any of his other houses built? This can't be the only on they made this much of a mess of can it?

• Izzy Mn
    4 years ago

I looked at some reviews on builder. Not good.

My nephew went through some he$$ with a new home, not this particular builder. Took almost 3 years. Had to go through arbitration because most builders have you sign something somewhere along the line agreeing to arbitration, he did have his own lawyer also. Although I've read some states now deem that they can't hold you to that, arbitration clause that is.

Get a lawyer and a good inspector now. Problem was they couldn't decide to sell home before arbitration concluded because house would have been unsellable because they would have to disclose that. They did finally get money to fix problems. The builder were trying to get him to agree to let them fix problems. Of course didn't trust them any longer because builder always ignored and fought on problems they had.

Keep a log and email, certified mail for everything. Also, be aware the builder may record your phone calls (did that with my nephew) They were very sneaky.

• functionthenlook
    4 years ago

Although quality is not by a long shot associated with your builder, ants can invade any house. My bug guy said they are especially bad this year.

• robin0919
    4 years ago

I hate to say it but this is expected from a 'track builder'. They build as 'cheap' as possible (and sell as high as possible) to make the 'most' profit!! I would 'never' buy a house from those large track builders.....just asking for problems. Lawyers are 'very' expensive to hire and they know this.

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    4 years ago

This is ant season. Many very well built houses get the. So far this year, I’ve had none - fingers crossed. But ive had them, my daughter has had them. We both live in older homes that were never tract houses. Choose another hill on which to die.

• BT
    4 years ago

Oh big deal. These sugar ant pretty small, with many rains this year they are searching for a safe home.

Spray around the foundation, done https://www.amazon.com/FUSE-Termiticide-Insecticide-27-5-oz/dp/B00J9Q22OI

and bifen is pretty good too.

https://www.amazon.com/Bifen-Insecticide-Bifenthrin-Equivalent-Talstar-Gallon/dp/B00C4Y27H4/

Problem solved. Vs dealing with the corrupt, dirty [judges and/or arbitration], shyster attorneys.

• HU-327261041
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks for posting everyone!

After a whole lot of cleaning and sealing all the spaces are now properly done. Hundreds of larger than 1/4" gaps in the walls OSB and 2x4, holes punched and left and garbage.

Went through 25 tubes of pl230 so far

Nothing sealed or taped, sunlight coming in from everywhere!

• Kelsey Janak
    4 years ago

Ants are one of my biggest fears. I always said I would go around and spray all the framing down with some kind of bug killer, but curious if this would actually work and hold up for years or just fade? What can actually be done to make my frame ant-proof?

If I spend $420k on a brand new house and find one ant in it after moving in I will burn it all down.

• dbrad
    4 years ago

^ Wow

• HU-327261041
    Original Author
    4 years ago

In my opinion I would say the spray is only temporary and if you have huge gaps and cracks in your homes joints and nothing is sealed.. well you know what I did from the above post. Not saying bugs still cant find a way but not sealing! then why bother you will never keep them out.

• Kelsey Janak
    4 years ago

Hahahaha obviously not literally, but it would be a major issue unable to be ignored. Imagine spending that much money only to have to live/cope with one of your biggest fears? Not okay.

• HU-327261041
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Yep these large home builders are criminals and scam artists tied in with ponzi scheme bankers that usually own the building companies/title companies/lenders. Spent a huge amount of my savings that took 20 years just to get a piece of SH**!

• functionthenlook
    4 years ago

With gaps that large ants would be my least worries. Rodents and cridders can get into gaps that size no problem. One time spraying isn't the answer to keep bugs out of the house. You have to routinely spray in the nice weather months. My bug guy comes once a month to routinely spray. The Ryan family ( ryan homes & Dan ryan )
    builds junk and charges top dollar. Just read the thousands of negative reviews.

• kudzu9
    4 years ago

Kelsey-

You're on a mission impossible. There is nothing you can do to prevent at least the occasional ant. If you seriously have an ant phobia, your money would be best spent on visiting with a counselor to work through this, rather than pursuing chemical solutions. One time spraying won't provide a permanent fix, and regular spraying, especially inside, poses the issue of health risks.