SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mcmann_gw

Good news - the electric company isn't taking my property.

mcmann
15 years ago

I posted a few weeks ago that an electric power company in NE Pennsylvania had proposed 3 possible routes for a new high power electric transmission line. One of the routes would have bisected my property in half. Well they announced today that they have selected an alternate route that will not impact my land.

I am so thankful for that news. We purchased this land in 1997 and built our vacation/retirement home there. We loved it so much we even placed a conservation easement on it so that the 135 acres could never be developed. There will be months of public hearings held by the PA Public Utility Commission before the PUC announces if they will accept the proposed route. But if I am lucky they will accept PPL's choice.

While I do feel sorry for anyone who will be impacted by this choice, at least 95% of the route they selected already has power lines on it. This will mean adding an additional 5% new land and also expanding the width of the lines that currently exist. It appears to be the logical and least expensive choice. I only hope that anyone who has land involved with this expansion is treated fairly and will be satisfied with the settlement.

Sometimes things do work out.

Comments (12)