SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
angelaid

Are you preparing for the Apocolypse?

11 years ago

I seem to be talking to more and more people that are stockpiling weapons, ammunition, food, supplies, etc., fortressing their homes. WTF?

DH has been working on a "mini-compound" on and off all summer for some single middle aged guy from San Francisco who moved out into the boonies to, pretty much, build himself a fortress, complete with surveillance, booby traps...

I'm seeing more and more Facebook jokes on the "Zombie Apocolypse" that I don't even understand. WTH is all this coming from? Is it from movies? Books? Some TV series I've never heard about?

(And, while I'm on the subject, WTH is a "honeybadger"? I don't understand those jokes either!)

Comments (75)

• 11 years ago

I should mention here that I'm the worst example of preparation these days. We have three toilets and for a while we were only using one bathroom because none of the others had TP. Most people like to live by a Mormon because one can borrow just about anything but ask me for a cup of sugar and I'll just have to shake my head in shame. :( Ever since I started working I've become far less organized. Half the time I find we're eating take out and what not.

My uncle stock piles guns and stuff for the "uprising against the government." He works as an agent to do investigative work on potential employees for the government and he swears that if we knew what he knew we'd stockpile too. That's "not" the Mormon in him- that's the obsessive freak in him that has dived too far into the depths of government to the point that it runs his life. He'll die buried in guns when he's 96 I have no doubt.

I don't believe in living by fear. Moderate preparation can eliminate fear - I live in the path of an active volcano. There are things I should do that would make me less uneasy. I should also plan for electricity outages this winter - more coal for the Dutch oven, and keep gas in the outdoor grill. flashlights and games to entertain the kids. And fill up the gas tank when it hits half empty, rather than totally empty. If I have to evacuate, I dont' want to wait in line first for gas.
    It's all common sense stuff. No panic for me, that's not how I want to experience this life.

• 11 years ago

I thought the world was coming to an end this December 21. So I've got time..yeah,right! I decided long ago, if it ever came to the apocalypse, I'd expose myself to the plague/zombies/whatever. I'm not very big or brave, I wouldn't last long. And I have no weapons unless you count my kitchen knives.

• Related Discussions

How do you prepare the variou beans you grow?

Q

Comments (8)
    I do lots of things with different kinds of dried and fresh shelley beans. Like beans and greens (use pinto, crowder, black eyes, etc. with your favorite green cooked in the bean pot - add hot peppers, onion, bacon or sausage and serve over rice with lots of juice. Corn bread on the side of course). You can skip the rice if you want. I also like to make different bean soups with the usual dried or shelley beans. When I make green beans I always make extra so I can later make Cream of Green Bean soup. Sounds gross but it tastes similar to Asparagus soup if you like that. Just whir the g. beans up in a F.P. or blender, pour in pot, add milk to taste (when you get the taste right, if it is still too thick add water to thin). I use 1 or 2 percent milk but any will do. Heat and eat. Another good green bean recipe came from a Jewish cookbook I have. Basically fill a pot with fresh green beans, salt, pepper, 4 allspice berries(dried), onion and garlic to taste, and water. Mix it up and insert a small beef roast. Simmer until roast and beans are tender. The beans seem to have a tenderizing effect on the roast. It tastes wonderful. Throw a few potatoes in and you've got a meal!.
    ...See More

What additional costs did you incur when preparing a lot to build a

Q

Comments (15)
    Did you decide to build with Diyanni? i know your post is from last year, but we built with Diyanni last year in Marengo, Ohio (Morrow County). We have 5.23 acres, no land clearing costs involved, poured wall basement for a 2,000 sq ft ranch (with 3 car garage) tapped in to City water system (tap fee $5,300 plus line run charge)had septic system installed $10 k, and electric run roughly 160 feet, 270 ft drive way cut Diyanni budgeted us just under $50 k. Lucky for us my husband has been in the construction field for over 25 years and knew when they didnt use additional gravel for topography and elevation, set a temporary power pole (which the electric company did not do) and a few other things in Diyannis budget that weren't needed or done and he asked for a credit back. The credits back totaled almost 7k. We know had he not kept an eye on land improvements being done and not done, Diyanni would have never voluntarily give us these credits or acknowledged that some of the budgeted land improvements were not need or not done.
    ...See More

How do you prepare corned beef?

Q

Comments (46)
    "It sound delicious but at the same time, I'm lazy and it sounds like a lot of work..." Debby, it's really not much work and more a matter of time since it takes the meat awhile to cook. I know the recipe I posted looks long, but it's more about the time it takes to cook the corned beef low and slow. It usually comes with a seasoning packet, so you could just add that to the pot with the meat and water. Use whatever veggies you like once the meat's cooked. It's truly one of my favorite meals.
    ...See More

Have you prepared to bring your trees in yet? What have you done?

Q

Comments (17)
    Meyer, we have had so much absurdly heavy rainfall this Summer, and so many dismally overcast days. My Citrus are getting more direct sun, all day now than they got ALL SUMMER. I checked my local super expended and I see a minimum of 58 F., with highs ranging from 70-78. Meteorologist was hinting at a warm up for early October. Honestly, I am very tropical but this is my favorite time of year. I brought in my large Diffenbachia, Burgundy Rubber tree, Chinese Evergreens (Algaonema), and Crotons, but most hypertropicals are still outside (coconuts, mango, bananas, guava). The ONLY plants that never get put out over Summer are the African Violets and they look great, probably the ultimate "houseplant". Right now, only concerned with moving the plants away from the structures for multi reroofing, of the house and two garages. Subtropical storm Ida brought in access of 8 inches of rain in a few hours and made me well aware of the necessity of a secure roof over my head (this was preceded by a foot of rain in July and another foot in August). Loquat trees are not tender. I grew mine from seed and have several. They are evergreen hardy down to 5-10 F, but the DEER love them, so I not only need to containerize them, but move them to a protected deck for now then, garage. The plant is maybe 18 inches tall but the fruit is freakishly enormous. Kent mango
    ...See More
  • 11 years ago

this is it

• 11 years ago

So Nothing happens. today, tomorrow, next week, next month.
    what have we lost by being prepared?
    Nothing
    We've gained.
    We've gained know how
    We've gained the ability to think more than one day or one week at a time
    We've gained confidence
    We've gained the freedom to not be dependent on others for our needs
    We've gained the knowledge that we can and will survive what ever is thrown at us
    even the naysayers.

Wrote this back in 2003

• 11 years ago

I would not say I prepare to the extreme, but I do have stockpiles of certain things. Couponing allows me to have a healthy supply of toiletries.
    I have a fairly large supply of drinking water stored in the basement. (And a hot tub that I have used for water to flush the commode) Additionally, a well we can hook up to generator.
    My freezer and pantry I would estimate to keep me about 3 months. The food choices may be funky towards the end, but food nonetheless.
    We have 2 generators, wood stove and gas grill, and Buddy heater that runs on propane. (and about 7 cord of seasoned wood cut and split)
    We always keep (and rotate) about 15 gallons of gas and a spare propane tank.
    Guns and ammo....well he's hunter so we have at least 5 rifles, 3 shotguns and 4 handguns.
    He is also loves to fish so we have a ridiculous amount of rods, reels and bait.
    Plus he's a smart and tough old Marine sniper that can make something out of nothing...I'm not too worried.

I have several families member nearby. I would think we would all bunk together to save and share resources. Supplies like gas for the generators and heat would last much longer with sharing.

I do worry about how big city apartment-dwellers would fare. That would be rough if there was long-term interruption of basic public services.

• 11 years ago

I have watched the doomsday preppers shows. And it does make you think. Some of the episodes are really extreme. But what one man said really made sense. He said if there is an emergency of any kind, for instance what happened in Haiti or New Orleans, and everyone needs help, you can't depend on FEMA, the police, fire dept., etc. to get to everyone. If you call for help and they can't come, what are you going to do? You have to be prepared to care for and defend your home and family.

I should be more prepared, and I'm working on it, but I don't have a year's supply of anything. It has long been discussed that if anything crazy, epic, widespread would happen everyone heads to Aunt Kathy's house. I live out of town, on the side of a ridge, with well water. My husband is a life long hunter and fisherman and a retired captain from a maximum security prison. And my home/property is much easier to defend if things would ever get like you see in the movies.

My question is, what is the deal about Mormon's and underwear? I've never heard anything about that, but see that several people have referred to it. Kudos to you amyfiddler for your preparedness and willingness to help others. I've never thought of Mormons as cultists. And what does religion have to do with any of this anyhow?

What's so crazy, religious fanatic about being prepared for a natual disaster? If you think about it, does anyone have enough food, water, medicine, cash, etc, to survive for say 2-4 weeks if there's no electricity? You can't swipe your card anywhere, you can get money out of the atm you can't buy anything unless you have cash. It is something to think about.

• 11 years ago

I do worry about how big city apartment-dwellers would fare.

Me too, Salgal. I used to live on the 21st floor of a midtown Manhattan apartment building. Even getting through the great northeast blackout in the 1960s was a huge deal--and that didn't last very long. I was surprised how exhausting it was to walk down 21 flights of stairs (in my vigorous 20s), much less up!. With our tiny kitchens, no one stockpiled much of anything. "Preparedness" mostly meant owning a flashlight.

Some of the windows in those big buildings can't be opened, so people rely big time on central A/C. If that goes, the steel buildings--completely exposed to the sun--heat up rapidly. It's easier to keep warm in winter without heat than it is to cool down in summer without electricity.

Edgar Cayce predicted the destruction of Manhattan. Sure hope it doesn't happen in my lifetime. Or my kids' and grandkids'......

• 11 years ago

..speaking of money....
    I saw a story where one guy stocked liquor. It made sense to me...he said cash will be worthless, no value.
    Everyone should have something to barter with...alcohol is a very smart commodity, I think.

• 11 years ago

Stockpiling wouldn't do much in a case like the floods of Katrina. Looks like there will be enough gun's stored to start a major civil war. Scary thing is many of them don't know how to load or shoot them, but have them "just in case"

• 11 years ago

(if someone wants to know about " Mormon underwear" I recommend a new thread. Be prepared to describe what you are wearing, as I have already requested, and go into as much detail as you are going to ask me about mine. You will get more straight answers from me, a lifetime, very active Mormon than you will on any anti mormon web page, and there are plenty of those. (You want to know about a turban? Ask a sikh. They will explain it with pride.) I'm simply saying this, that it takes a lot of nerve to ask someone about their underwear, but if you need to know I will respectfully answer your questions with honesty and reverence for my beliefs.)

• 11 years ago

I'm not planning on surviving an apocolyspse, but we do have some means of extended preparedness. There is the preparedness for weather related events like extended power outages due to cold and heat and then there is preparedness for things like a job loss. A stocked pantry is useful in any of those situations.

I think it could get bad when the economy goes down further. Right now, the food banks and places like the Salvation Army are begging for food and other donations and many places are running out. As more jobs are lost and more people compete for scarcer resourses, I think it could get ugly. It wouldn't hurt people to have a few basic skills or resources to help tide themselves over until they can work themselves to a better position.

• 11 years ago

My best friend, since 1st grade, is LDS, so I already know all about her Magical Mormon Undies (as I call them) ;). She doesn't have anything stock piled and I've never heard her even reference the end of the world. Unfortunately, a lot people are so judgemental about others' religions...especially Mormons. Everything that they do or believe gets miscontrued and blown out of proportion. Mormons are no more of a "cult" than any other organized religion. I loathe when people from one organized religion use the word cult to describe folks from another organized religion just because it's not exactly the same as their own.

Back on topic:

Zombie Apocolypse is just a joke and fun to talk about. I don't think anyone believes that's for real. My friends and I have decided Costco would be the best place to go to fight off the Zombies and survive.
    Mayan "End of the World" is believed by some. Also fun to talk about.
    I love the Honeybadger!

I would love to be more prepared (not for the end of the world but for natural disaster), but I just don't have the space and have been lazy about it. If the apocolypse (of any type) were to happen, I would hope to gone quickly. Whenever I think of it, I'm reminded of the book The Road (ack, what a depressing story!), and I don't want to be alive if things are like that.

• 11 years ago

LOL no & h3ll no LOL! I believe my life & existence is based on what an awesome future I have ahead of me because of all the hard work and arse busting i've done over the years! I can't even fathom thinking of something like the apocolypse...my future is too bright for that LOL! personally I do believe these things are perpetuated by suppliers of materials needed for survival! it's FEAR mongering i vehemently oppose such childish control methods! ~ liz

• 11 years ago

I live in earthquake country - never experienced a tornado, hurricane (except for hurricane Freda of 1963 that came over the Pacific from Japan), major snowstorm, power outages, - nothing, nada, zilch. We are constantly inundated with Emergency Preparedness lists, pamphlets, courses, so that we are ready for the "big" one. Right now, I couldn't last until tomorrow. But I don't worry about it either.

• 11 years ago

I will say that living in FL I am prepared for hurricanes, the only thing I am missing is a $15K back up generator, I do have a large portable that runs everything but the start up on the A/C. I own every imaginable gadget for going w/o power and restock on every food item needed. in 2004 we had 3 hurricanes in 6 weeks, went 24 days w/o power and lived and i am a chicago city native for 30 yrs! that is not fear mongering, it's happened before and being uncontrollable nature can again... we learned some good lessons during 2004 and if it involves buying stuff to be prepared i'm all over that LOL! my DH collects guns and restores antique rifles, we do not stock pile that IS giving in to the manufacturers support of fear & they are they only ones benefiting from that bs. well insurance companies too because if your house catches fire and you don't have all that ammo in fire-proof safes the fire dept will let your house burn to the ground & the insurance companies do not cover that. it is actually not uncommon here for that to happen, we had someone at our farm location have that happen to them.

I just can not believe that our lives mean so little and we have evolutionized sooo far that we would be ended just like that, for no real reason. ~ liz

• 11 years ago

Who said mormons were a cult...just wondering where the continual comments about "the Mormons are not a cult" is coming from?

• 11 years ago

Jennmonkey--"the road"

Yes, if like is really like that would rather my loved ones and I not survive. Especially, the basement--cannibal part. Very disturbing book.

• 11 years ago

Jenn, I am only judgmental about one religion, the one I was raised in. No dancing, no movies, no dancing on skates which I think is quite an accomplishment. Boy was I surprised when we moved to this big city and saw churches sponsoring teenage dances. LOL In case you are wondering I was raised a southern baptist. I quit when I was 16 after the training union teacher order us all to get on our knees and pray for forgiveness and in the dark.

• 11 years ago

Arkansas,
    No apology or even acknowlegment for even accidentally perpetuating an untruth about a religion of someone with whom you share a kitchen table? Just defensiveness? Interesting.

Please keep in mind that Mormons are everywhere. Even at your table. I'll not use the word offended, I hate that word, but I am rather taken back at the manners here of some. When company is mixed, some sensitivity is in order. That is all.

• 11 years ago

Once again...I never said that Mormons were a cult.

• 11 years ago

So Amy, since you are Mormon are you saying that you are not taught to stockpile food for the end of days? This is what my relative that is married to a man that was raise LDS told me! She also told me that his Mother was very upset with him that he was not preparing for the end.

• 11 years ago

Wow! I find it hard to believe, you could paint a whole religion with such a broad stroke, on this basis. "My relative is married to a man that was raised LDS and she also told his mother was upset that he wasn't prepared for the end.

• 11 years ago

Arkansas, I'm going to invite you to open your mind to the possibiity that what you contributed to here was a gross misunderstanding and vilification of the LDS people. Take a look at the presentation here - the original poster talked about a movement of extreme behavior - to prepare for an "Apocalypse" and mention was made of zombies. The tone was, *these people are nutcases.*. People get on, agree, talk about the nuttiness of it all....then you say that this whole thing is perpetuated by mormons, as if you are the authority on the topic because your cousin who is related to the homecoming queen who's father knew a postman who was mormon once told the dog walker that mormons were stockpiling for end of days.

I recognize that was a stretch, but do you get the point? Get it from my point of view....I have had people ask me about my husband's "other wives", I've had people actually *ask* me about my *horns*, I have had people wonder how I can live in a religion that will make me vote for Romney, and I have on this very post had people inquire about what I'm wearing between my uglies and my pants. Seriously..... and do you know why? Because people such as yourself perpetuate this stuff as fact when you really don't know anything.

I'm hot on this one, so I think I'll take a break. Had you simply said, 'oh, I'm sorry, I didn't realize we were in mixed company and I was mis informed' that would have been nice.

Mormons are taught to store food for a full year's supply. Most aren't up on that instruction, but we do the best we can. We are a self sufficient people, worthy of respect. Not targets to blame the zombie apocalypse nonsense on.

We are taught that some day, Christ will return to earth and with that will come lots of natural disasters. Not everyone will be wiped out, and not "just mormons" will be saved in the end. If you have questions and would like to respectfully engage, I'm still willing to do so but it had best be moved to hot topics because I'm getting there quickly.

• 11 years ago

How come there are so many Religions, but only 1 God. Each religion says they are the right ones. Can any of you prove it without a doubt?

Dolly

• 11 years ago

philosophical religion discussions are not allowed on this page. That needs to go to hot topics. LIkely this whole thread will be removed.

• 11 years ago

For the record, I just stockpiled pencils for the beginning of the school year. We go through so many and can never find them come homework time. I'm also going to stockpile up on some lunch bags and baggies - I hate running out and they are on sale this time of year.

• 11 years ago

Amy, you go, girl.

And, while we're at it, please folks, don't think that all Baptists are the same. Southern Baptists do not equal American Baptists do not equal xxxx, and so on.

AND - preparing for disasters isn't something to snort at. I haven't, and maybe I'll be the fool.

• 11 years ago

The Weather Channel just had a mini feature about a gal in Boynton Beach Fl who showed her "hurricane Closet" and other supplies. From battery operated fans, water, to quick meals. She has been ready for all Huricanes.

• 11 years ago

An apocalypse would not be survivable to most of us, so the phrasing of the question is kinda misleading.

A catastrophic weather event though, would be enough to cause a lot of human misery.

Recently, when that massive violent thunderstorm moved through West Virginia and Northern Virginia, many folks lost power. In some communities, 911 service was also lost.

People calling 911 heard a recording that said, "If you're experiencing an emergency, please proceed to the nearest fire station or police station."

If that happened in your community, do you really want to be the only person without a firearm and/or without food and/or without a means of emergency communication?

The people in the cities need to think about this a lot more than the people out in the country.

If you lost power, cable, water and cell-phone service, what would you do?

The time to think about such things is now.

Just my two cents.

• 11 years ago

After all the hurricanes and storms has anyone ever starved to death or died of thirst? I don't think so. You might loose your home, but not your life if you evacuate like your are told to do. Like someone said they have had several, yes it would be good to have some stock pile for your convenience. If I lived there I would have extra water during hurricane season. If power goes out in the winter time I doubt if anyone would freeze, unless it was a senior citizen with no family. Even then neighbors would know to check on them. I just don't see the benefit of storing excess food.

• 11 years ago

After all the hurricanes and storms has anyone ever starved to death or died of thirst?

Even Katrina was not as bad as it could have been. We (the US) have been spared a direct hit from a terrible storm. We've been very fortunate in that regard.

But to answer your question, I sure as heck do NOT want to be one of the people standing in a line that stretches on for 1.4 miles, waiting for a ration of MREs.

I'd rather rely on my own resources (which requires some prepping) rather than become reliant on the government to keep me from starving to death, or dying of thirst.

• 11 years ago

For the record AMY, this wasn't a case of a friend told another person who told someone else and so on. This is my niece and we are the best of friends so it wasn't a grape vine conversation. This is someone that I trust completely and I don't know YOU from ADAM!

• 11 years ago

I'm with dedtired - the grocery store, library etc are just a few blocks away. The first week of July we were without power from Friday night to Thursday night. It was hot, but aside from that, it wasn't horrible. There was AC at the office ;) We cook most things from scratch, but don't have time for serious canning, etc. so there isn't a lot to stockpile. If there was a true disaster where the food delivery trucks could not get through, we would have a pretty monotonous diet.

Last summer, we had an earthquake and a hurricane. Stuff happens.

If there was a true apocalypse, it would not be survivable, so that is moot.

• 11 years ago

Now you're yelling. And you have missed the entire point.

• 11 years ago

Come on gals TRUCE

• 11 years ago

I'm still willing to bring the green bean casserole if somebody doesn't already have dibs!

• 11 years ago

Sounds good Donna.I remember seing a show where the hostess prepared dinner for a lot of people by using only the things from her emergency shelf. Your green bean casserole could be a delicious addition !!

• 11 years ago

Mom and I always said when the apocolypse came we were going to stand outside and get it over with. Now she is gone and I would stand outside today just to be with her again. The thing to fear is suffering and loss. No cave will prepare you for that. Would I go underground and come out with all my friends gone? No. Pass the green beans.

• 11 years ago

preparing for the end

Here is a link that might be useful: LDS answer

• 11 years ago

Wow, this thread has the makings of a trainwreck.

I still don't know why religion has been brought into this at all. I'm not worried about the zombies, I am worried about looters. Look what happened in New Orleans.

Seriously think about what you would do if you had to be completely on your own for a month. No dr, atm, grocery store, internet, cell phone, library, public transportation, gas, pharmacy.... What would you do if you truly felt threatened if you went to town to the store or bank or wherever?

Could you sustain yourself and family for that long without going anywhere for anything? And if desperate hungry people came to your house to TAKE from you, not give you the chance to offer help, but they came to take your stuff from you, what would you do?

• 11 years ago

I agree 100% with Katlan.

I highly recommend a book entitled "One Second After."

In the last 30 years, I've read *ONE* fiction book, and this was it.

It's well-written (written by a history professor), historically and militarily accurate, and it's a book you'll never ever forget.

The book talks about what happens in Small Town America after an atomic weapon is detonated at about 20 miles above the earth's surface. There is no radiation, no fall out, no scary noise. There's just an EMP.

An EMP (electro-magnetic pulse) puts the country into the dark ages. It's estimated that three atomic weapons, detonated at 20 miles up, would destroy all things electrical - cars, planes, radios, computers and our entire electrical grid.

Three atomic weapons would cripple the continental United States. (BTW, this is why our military is so panicked about Iran and Korea developing atomic weapons.)

The point of this thread is, you're not going to be able to go to the grocery store and stock up. You'll have to rely on yourself, period.

In this country - today - we have "just in time" inventory. The mega-monster grocery store has adequate inventory for 48-72 hours. In other words, if distribution chain is disrupted, there are no reserves in the back room at the grocery store.

There's a saying: "The most civilized society is only five meals away from anarchy."

Our generation has not seen true social unrest in this country.

If things do go really wrong, and there is a social upheaval, and the grocery store shelves are bare, you'll probably only need about 30-45 days worth of supplies (food and water and ammo) to survive.

That's not a lot.

If some sort of basic order has not been restored in 30-45 days (following some cataclysmic event), then it really is "TEOTWAWKI" (The End of the World As We Know It).

History foretells the future. Mankind has been down this road before, but we've never had the incredibly advanced electronics systems (cell phones, computers in cars, etc) that we have now.

The more advanced the infrastructure, the more delicate it becomes.

"One Second After" by William R. Forstchen is a book you'll never forget.

Here is a link that might be useful: A link to the website,

• 11 years ago

Maybe instead of just stomping their feet and accusing people of things they never said...perhaps reading the actual thread and what someone actually wrote would help.

• 11 years ago

Anyway, the whole thread has just gotten too stupid to continue and I'm outta here on this one...have fun arguing with lies...

• 11 years ago

Good post rosemaryt IMPO
    I downloaded the book "One Second After." back in October '09. I will admit tht I didn't read all of it yet
    It has been said that an EMP is not far away. That means that all electronic devises would stop working. No phones, Internet, electricity etc.
    I do hope this thread continues as a help and guide to others so we can all be ready for any type of situation.if it doesn't I hope that the Emergency Preparedness over at the other forum will help some http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/organ/msg0712381226349.html

• 11 years ago

Notice no reference in that article to weaponry, bunkers fortressing, zombies, surveilance, or extremist anything. He LDS people are not extremists nor does extremist behavior of doomsday fotress building exist because of us. It exists because there are humans who are fear*focused* and who have the illusion that they can control the tide. And too much tv has affected their minds! lol. lets blame tv.

Here is how this thread is useful. It reminds us that winter is
    coming. We would be smart to have candles and flashlights on hand, and in case power is out for me like it was last year, my dutch oven w briquettes is ready to rock.

• 11 years ago

Well, I do know that my closet is chock full of all sorts of outfits in all sorts of sizes I have worn the last several decades. If I should find myself in a world with reduced tasty foodstuffs, I would already have all the clothing I need as I thin down to half my former self.

• 11 years ago

rosemaryt
    Another book you might like to take a look at is "ILL WIND"
    by Kevin J. Anderson & Doug Beason

"A scientist invents a microbe that will clean up oil spills etc but finds that doesn't stop at gobbling up crude oil in a restricted area. It can feed on gasoline and most of the plastics made from petroleum -- the very fabric of modern civilization. Most frightening of all, it can spread through the air". It is pretty good some parts I didn't like but shows how people cope with living wihout autos phones etc (the plastic melted)

Here is a link that might be useful: Ill Wind -- book review

• 11 years ago

rosemaryt, great post and you hit the nail on the head when you said that this generation has not see true unrest. Both my parents survived WWII in Europe and knew hunger and fear.

I am shocked how many have nothing in storage but seem to rely on being able to walk to the store or just wait for help. Help from who? they are in the same situation or worse than you might be in. Wait for the goveremnt to send help? Really???? You can't help yourself by being prepared?

AmyF, it is so sad that others cannot be bothered to educate themselves about other religion. Each one gives us something special.

My freezers are full, so are the shelves with commercially canned products (they last longer than home canned), gas is in the garage for the generator, food for the pets and medical supplies. And don't forget the ammo to defend it all from the takers. I have no problem in sharing if asked, just don't steal it.

• 11 years ago

i will say there is NO other state I'd rather be in during a hurricane or other catastrophe as FL. stores, banks & gas stations must have back up generators, it's the law. all cities have contracts w out of state vendors to bring in water, gas and ice for their residents. my city got us water & ice w/in 2 days... after 2004 we learned to go a month w/o power (we almost lost our lift station which would mean no toilets) and you could not just walk somewhere for stuff. we couldn't get out of our neighborhood by car for a day, trees covered all the streets, you could walk but back then no stores had generators so it didn't matter where you walked. store shelves were cleared out w/in 4 hours of daylight on Aug 14, the morning after Charlie. if you didn't have cash you were SOL. gas stations had no power for a week and no gas left anyways. after a few days i was driving 20+ miles for gas, milk & water, no one had it. after 2 weeks i tracked down a portable generator but you have to be cash laden for that LOL it requires filling every 4 hours. i have an entire shed of just gas cans now LOL. soon after Charlie, Miami went a week w/o power, just imagine walking 20 flights to get out of your 120 degree condo... Gov had warned floridians to be able to live a week w/o any assistance at all. we take living w/o help seriously here LOL! ~ liz

• 11 years ago

bigfoot_liz
    From 1956 to 1992 I lived in Miami and went thru a lot of Hurricanes. With 3 little boys it was an adventure for them but they also learned a lot about what to do when without. The only thing good about one is with all the warning now If you can afford it you can leave town. In those days we all kept maps and logged in the coordinates when the radio updated them. I thinkthe TV stations were just getting into the great graphics we have now.
    I remember Donna went thru the keys almost wiping some of them out. We still got terrific rain and wind