SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alisande_gw

Some gravestone pictures I took this weekend

alisande
13 years ago

I haven't posted any gravestone pictures in a while--because I haven't been taking them. Since I've been working, I've built up quite a backlog of gravestone photo requests (via FindAGrave and RAOGK). I just don't have the time I used to have to devote to this. But I've missed doing it, and made an effort to visit three cemeteries this weekend.

I haven't finished uploading the pics and memorials to FindAGrave, but I was pleased to see on my profile that I've created 300 memorials on that site, and uploaded 350 pictures.

I think some other KTers have been doing this as well, and I hope they'll weigh in here.

I didn't find anything terribly unusual this weekend, but gravestones are always interesting to share, I think.

Here's a couple that died young, but three years apart. He was 28 (died 1841), she 22 (died 1844).

A 19-year-old who died in the Civil War:

Another 19-year-old, a mother of two. A pretty name, and a pretty gravestone. Her son's name (I assume it was her son) was Friend. That name was used a lot around here. Was it common where you live, too?

"Little Ones to Him Belong"....... Robin lived only one day.

Ralph Swingle, son of Moses and Elizabeth, died in 1870 at the age of 33 years, 0 months, and 20 days. His gravestone reads, "It was good for me to be afflicted." What do you make of that? I'm thinking maybe he was disabled, and his family felt that had some spiritual value, perhaps? What's your interpretation?

Thanks for sharing the experience with me.

Susan

Comments (12)