SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
taigen_gw

GMA this morning...geotagged photos/stalking

taigen_gw
13 years ago

I just finished watching a very interesting segment on Good Morning America about how people using their smart phones to take pictures and then posting them on facebook, twitter or apparently anywhere on the net...are unknowingly giving out there locations to people in the metadata file of the photos. It is as simple as right clicking the photo and looking at the properties. Two tech guys have been trying to make people aware of this and have created a website about how it all happens and how you can disable the GPS functions on your phone/camera.

It was very unnerving to watch as they showed how easy it was...pictures a mom took of her daughters new sneakers and posted showed her home location. Someone posting their lunch...showed where they were eating it.

Anyway...it really makes you think twice about what we are posting.

Here are the links to the news article, sorry I can't find the actual segment with Becky Worely...but the article gives info.

And the link to the stalking site where they go into detail about how this happens and how to disable GPS on many popular phones.

Hmmm...sorry I don't seem to be able to include both links in this one post...so here is the stalking site address;

http://icanstalku.com/how.php

Here is a link that might be useful: GMA news article

Comments (4)