SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
secsteve

A Sad Birthday

secsteve
13 years ago

Yesterday, which was my birthday, I received the news that my second "mom" died. She had been taken to the hospital last Tuesday and never came out of the coma. Her son and I had many discussions since last Tuesday when she went on life support. When the EEG came back negative, he did the right thing and took her off. The doctors had put her on life support until they could ensure that there was no hope as they believed she had a heart attack. Not sure that was the case, but once the EEG came back there was no doubt.

Mom had made it very clear over the years she didn't want to be kept alive on machines and made me promise that I'd make sure her wishes were followed. Her son was never really there for her and Dad once he got married and I felt/feel sorry for him.

Leaving this morning to go back to MI for the funeral and help in any way I can. I'm so glad I went back in April and got to see her. I'm sitting here writing this with tears in my eyes. It's going to seem strange now not picking out those Mom cards for Mother's Day, her birthday, and Christmas.

My ex got mad the first time she heard me call them mom and dad, and spouted off the fact that "They aren't your real parents" and how she thought it was disrespectful of me to call them that. My folks understood perfectly and I wasn't about to call them by their first names nor Mr. and Mrs. K. Nope, they were and always will be mom and dad to me.

Rest in peace my dear second parents.

Comments (25)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz