Houzz Logo Print
gazania_gw

About 'The ring of worms'

18 years ago

About my picture of the ring of worms in yesterday's "I'll Show You Mine" post. (Sorry, I was away all day yesterday)

Last September when this pic was taken, I posted it on a couple "Identify the Bug" type forums. The best explanation I got was from a guy who has a background in insect/bug stuff somehow. He said; The "worms" are the larvae of fungus gnats and for some reason their nest has been disturbed and they are in the process of moving to a new location. It would normally be a follow the leader type thing, but in this case the leader(s) were moving in a curved direction because an obstical may have been in their way. The lead group has caught up with those bringing up the rear, so as is their method of operation, they continued to 'follow the leader' making this circle.

As I was watching this 'ring' it kept moving round and round without going anywhere, like a merry-go-round. The larger 'worm' at the top left, the guy said, is the larvae of some other kind of fly that just happened to get caught up with the gnat larvae as they moved along.

{{gwi:250001}}

Comments (5)