SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_546347

Medicare supplemental insurance

User
11 years ago

My husband retired on July 1st. We are trying to make a decision on supplemental insurance.

I hate to have to make this decision before I have any experience with medicare and how it pays.

We're trying to decide between Plan N or the high deductible F.We would not have a problem paying the higher deductible. Of course we hope for the first few years we won't have enough expenses to have to pay the total deductible.

If we go with N the total of our premiums will be higher than what we were paying for insurance when my husband was working.

we both are in decent health now. I have an autoimmune disease, but so far it is stable and on the mild side and I don't take any of the heavy duty drugs that so many with this disease take.

How fast do these premiums go up?

One agent told me they give you teaser rates and then they really go up fast.

We're only considering issue age or community rated insurance to try to minimize the rapidly rising premiums. But we don't have many options in my state for those. Most offered are attained age policies .

One person told me that she and her husband were paying 500 a month She said once they hit 70 the premiums began to really go up fast. (they are 72) She told me the supplemental rarely paid for anything.

I'd really appreciate any info from those of you who have experience with these supplemental insurance plans and with medicare.

TIA.

Comments (58)