SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lilly316

computer woes...Please help

Lily316
10 years ago

I desperately need some advice from you good people based on your experiences. We have had HP desktop computers since the 90's when we bought our first one. None ever needed repair, but two years ago we decided to get a 25 inch wireless touch screen Dell lnspiron.. I loved this computer, and it worked flawlessly for exactly two years...June 11- June 13. I shut it down one night, and the next day it was dead. We gave it to a techie guy who said it might be the video card, so he sent for one and it's not that. He asked if we wanted to get a new $200 motherboard but we declined and are shopping for a new computer tonight. Needless to say, it will NOT be a Dell. $800 for the old Dell plus now $150 more to NOT fix it.

Please tell me what you use and how happy you are with it. . My son has an old Dell which he likes, and my daughter's house has all Apple products. Presently we have a Toshiba laptop and an iPad which we love. I am the least techie person in the world, and i wonder how hard it will be to learn on a Mac which husband seems to want. How transferable are the files ?We want another wireless large screen. We don't want a touch screen, because we never used it.

Information and recommendations from real people are really important to me in selecting any new major purchase. Thanks in advance.

Comments (19)

• joann23456
    10 years ago

I always use Lenovo/IBM T-series laptops. I'm on my third or fourth now, and they are real workhorses. They also have *great* keyboards, which is something I care about. I buy them used on Ebay for about $350, generally.

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    10 years ago

I tried to convert to a MacBook Pro with Windows, but just could not adapt to the Mac format. However, my granddaughters both have Macs and love them.

Fairly recently purchased an HP and am very happy with it.

• Related Discussions

Lawn and Landscaping WoesPlease Help (Pics Inside)

Q

Comments (1)
    The barren side, next to the garage, I think, might best be improved a by: 1) covering the area with some stone and a pathway (be creative with size and texture), and 2) making a raised bed that would leave a 3 foot opening next to the pavement and the edge of the building ( for access) and angle to the property line.
    ...See More

Dresser Woes... please save me with your great advice!

Q

Comments (3)
    Be careful sanding just in case there is veneer, such as on the sides. An electric sander can go through veneer in the blink of an eye. Doesn't matter if you're going to paint it, but sure will if you're going to stain it. You might want to take a look at CL -- there may be one exactly like you want out there and someone may want yours exactly as it is. Worth a look before you do all the hard work, at least.
    ...See More

Computer question for computer techies

Q

Comments (9)
    call your telephone people or internet server. They can walk you through it. Our phone company will send out their telephone guy and he'll help you. It is most likly an easy fix. Our server has a program that I use. The only mail I get is people I have on my "allways allow list" Otherwise it all goes into my "spam" folder. Then I check it for other email I want or just delete it. not sure if I explained it verywell but I'd first call your telephone co.
    ...See More

Window blind woes; please help with advice

Q

Comments (1)
    I have a large old home and some of my blinds are inside mount and some outside mount, even in the same room! They look fine as long as the blinds are the same. It would bother me more to have the "gap" of the split blind than having 2 different mounts. I guess the worst case would be both outside mounts! I've probably confused you even more! Sue
    ...See More
  • alisande
    10 years ago

Right now I'm using a PC my son built for me, but before that we had nothing but Dells since the 1980s and were completely happy with them. I'd hate to see you rule Dell out on the basis of one bad experience, although I can understand why you might feel that way.

I still use a Dell upstairs, along with my very first flat-screen monitor, also by Dell. The monitor isn't very large and cost $600 when it was new, which should give you some idea of how old it is. Downstairs, I have two 22" Acer monitors mounted in front of me. I love using two monitors.

• magic_arizona
    10 years ago

After spending over an hour on hold with HP just minutes ago, And getting transferred 5 different times, each one saying "this is not the right department, let me transfer you", I was told to take it back to the store because they don't know what the problem is. They never even attempted to find out what the problem was.

What a joke HP's support is.

I will take it back and NEVER get another HP, EVER!

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    10 years ago

every one seems to have faves and hates, I have personally had good luck with all the HP's I have bought. Not that same experience with Dell so don't care for them.
    I have 2 Acer's which have been excellent, I have Asus products and have had excellent luck with them. Really all you can do is go for one of the big names at a reputable store that will work with you if you have to return or go with a local shop that will custom build for you. I have had the best luck of all with that option.
    I would check Costco because they have a wonderful return policy and extend the warranty period.
    Some people prefer Intel over AMD and vice versa I am an AMD fan, both will do what you need. You can still find them with windows 7 and that might be your determining factor here, you might just shop for those with windows 7 available on them, less learning curve since you mention not wanting to have to deal with too much of that.
    I bought my latest one at Office Depot, Office Max also has good deals on them as well as Staples, I have also bought from walmart.com since you can return to the local store and have it shipped to store also.

this link to a google search for windows 7 computers might help give some ideas.
    desktops with windows 7 - Google Search

• User
    10 years ago

As with everything in life, your preferences may be different than others, but you couldn't pry my Gateway laptop away from me. People either tend to love or hate almost every company that builds computers, and I tend to be a Dell hater based on two "out of the box" lemons.

I did add an external mouse to my laptop, and it took me a bit to get used to the keyboard size after working on desktop computers for so many years. The keyboard on this laptop is VERY much like my old electric typewriter (yes I am that old that I remember type writers LOL). I am a hard typer, and this thing takes a beating!

I hope you find what suits you and your budget best, even if it's a Dell!

• mare_wbpa
    10 years ago

A few months ago, while channel surfing, I stumbled on to a computer help show that runs on a local channel. They listed the most reliable computers. #1 on the list was Asus, I think Toshiba was #2. Gateway, Dell and HP were pretty fsr down the list. I don't recall the source of the list. Keep in mind that this was several months ago and thing change fast in the Tech market.

• sephia
    10 years ago

This is deja vu. When I got home from work this afternoon and tried to log on to my laptop, it had died. It wouldn't turn on. Took it to the Geek Squad at Best Buy to see what was wrong with it. It ended up being too costly to repair so I bought another one. Got rid of my crappy HP and purchased a Toshiba. I'd had nothing but trouble with my HP.

This new laptop came with Windows 8. It takes a little bit to get used to, but in the hour that I've been playing with it I'm figuring out how to maneuver around with it.

• Lily316
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow, you people have given me some stuff to digest. After dinner we went to Best Buy and got overwhelmed. We looked at iMac and the guy said files could be transferred from the broken Dell. After husband saying he didn't want touch screen, our new techie, a sharp as a tack young woman was showing us how neat it was to use on the new Windows 8. We kinda liked the HP Pavilion all in one. Sony had great clarity but I didn't like the set up. Apparently it had batteries and you can carry it around the house. Hey, I have an iPad to do that. The HP has 8GB of memory. I hate to think what my first one had back in the day. We also looked at lenovo which I had never heard of and Intel core.They all have 23 inch screens and are all $800. So a little more research. I think the HP just came out in June. >>

Sephia, how do you like Windows 8? It looked cool but then she knew her way around and I don't. But if I go the Apple route, the learning curve will be brutal. I'm very slow dealing with mechanical or technical stuff. That's why this woman impressed me. >>>Thanks everyone for your help. I'll weigh everything I read.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    10 years ago

one of my good friends just got a new pc with windows 8, she called me pleading for help. The first thing I told her to do was go download Classic Shell, which she did while I was on the phone, it took about 2 minutes and she came back saying omg I have a start button again lol. It's a great addition if you are new to windows 8,makes a lot of things more familiar, nice for you while learning the new system. It gives you the option for it to look like xp, or vista and 7. here's a great video on exactly how to install and use it. Remember to watch carefully when installing things for those added items like toolbars, I think this one has some sort of ad, just avoid those or uncheck as needed.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=PujV6yPY5OI&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DPujV6yPY5OI

Here is a link that might be useful: classic Shell free

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    10 years ago

link to the YouTube video

Here is a link that might be useful: classic Shell video

• sephia
    10 years ago

Lily - Win 8 is different than Win 7, but I think the differences are worth exploring. I've been playing around with it for awhile and am getting the hang of it. And if you buy it from Best Buy, if they have a Geek Squad department, you can set up an appointment to have someone show you how to maneuver. I'd beware of HP laptops though. My HP was constantly in need of some repair. The final repair would have cost me the price of a new laptop, so I decided to have a funeral for it. I've been reading reviews of HP, and have decided they are having too many problems for me to consider buying another HP model.

• yayagal
    10 years ago

I have had Toshiba's until I switched to a Macbook pro and now the Macbook air. I had no problem at all working my way around. I find Apple to be the easiest computers we've ever had and they offer free classes to all who buy plus you have one year free service and you can add two more years at an additional cost. You can walk in an Apple store if you have a glitch and they'll help you and the online help is the same. My husband had his first desktop Apple for 17 years with no repair and now my grand nephews play on it. My sis in law bought a used Mac air on Craigslist three years ago, loves it and it's like the day she bought it. Can you tell I REALLY like Apple products???

• katlan
    10 years ago

We have had several Dell desktops. Our very first computer was and IBM Aptiva, haha. DH still has a dell desktop and when mine died, I bought a 17.3" Acer Aspire laptop with quad core at Walmart for $600. I've had it for 2 years with very little problem. (Knock on wood) Biggest problem is getting a virus here and there and unwanted updates.

From reading the computer forum I learned to set my updates to always ask me which ones I want. I also downloaded and use CCleaner, Malwarebytes, Spyblaster and Microsoft Security Essentials.

Good luck, there's so many to choose from.

• Lily316
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I think we have decided not to get an iMac for what we use one for. I think we also decided not to get the touch screen since we had it for two years on the dead Dell and never used it. So we're hitting Walmart, Best Buy, Staples, and HHGregg tomorrow. We talked to three very good geeks and that's why we narrowed the search down. I have never had a broken computer in my life, and have learned from this this. Just throw it away and get a new one. The wireless ones are not worth fixing.

• jmc01
    10 years ago

Don't throw it away - please recycle it.

• Lily316
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I certainly WILL recycle the old Dell. I am typing on the brand new lenovo. I know if you are like me, you have never heard of them, but apparently they have some association with IBM. It was between this and an HP Pavilon. We didn't get a touch screen because the Dell had one and we never used it. Why pay extra for it? Files have to be loaded and pictures and songs but it's up and running. I think I like the Dell keyboard better. It was wireless and this isn't but I can switch. I'm using the Dell wireless mouse.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    10 years ago

IBM = Lenovo so yes very familiar with them. Sounds like a good choice. I am sure you will enjoy it.

• Elmer J Fudd
    10 years ago

"IBM = Lenovo"

Not so fast. Lenovo is a Chinese company, always has been. IBM is a different company. It's a US company, always has been.

IBM sold its PC business to Lenovo over 8 years ago. Lenovo had the right to use the IBM name on products for a period of years but that's ended. People thought during this time they were buying IBM PCs but they actually weren't, many were fooled in this way.

Lenovo has two laptop family lines - the models that evolved from the IBM products are called Think Pad and they're still considered top drawer quality. The product family that evolved out of Lenovo models have a different name. While with the passage of time they're likely better than they used to be, they're not of the same quality.