SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chisue

Insurance Claim Question

chisue
10 years ago

I'm wondering what we should be expecting in payment on the 'personal' side of an auto claim.

I posted about this accident at the time -- October 20, 2012. My DH was broadsided at an intersection in our town. A teen girl didn't realize this is a THREE way stop and proceeded into the intersection as my DH came across the RR tracks where there is no Stop sign. Her father's SUV crushed the driver's side pillar of our sedan.

We elected to have their insurance, Chubb Group, handle the claim instead of our State Farm group. They paid to have the car towed to our Jaguar dealer and from there to the body shop. They paid for the body work and, after some resistance, paid another $650 in lost trade-in value for the repaired car. (2005 Jaguar X-Type w/22K miles) They paid for a rental car, but not for the rental during the four days over the Thanksgiving holiday -- because our dealership failed to notify us the body shop had returned the repaired car. Anyway, the 'auto' part of this seems settled -- they have paid about $13K.

Today we had a call from Chubb. They need a medical records authorization to get DH's ER records from the day of the accident. He required no further treatment. I was able to drive the car that short distance to the hospital, so no ambulance fees. The sore back and bruised ribs eventually healed on their own.

We are glad he wasn't seriously injured but...our nice autumn came to a halt and stayed stressful for weeks due to this incident. We've spent a lot of hours on the phone, trying to get records to the right places, and wondering if DH's trauma would worsen.

Am I correct to think that we should be offered more than payment for DH's ER visit? Has anyone had a similar experience?

Comments (7)