SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kathsgrdn

Germany/France trip-12 set of pictures

Kathsgrdn
14 years ago

Sainte Me Eglise, the first town that was liberated by the U.S. troops on D-day, this is the church tower, where PFC John Steele landed during the night of the 5th/6th June. If you've ever seen the movie, The Longest Day then you'll know why this church is famous. He actually landed on the back side of the church but due to weather/molding problems and the front side facing the square they decided to put the dummy up front.

Someone later made the stained glass window as a tribute to the sacrifices made by those U.S. troops who parachuted into the wrong area, a lot of them died:

The Airborne museum in Sainte Mère Eglise, the glider they had in there was made of canvas. You could poke a hole through it without much force. I just can't imagine putting humans up in there and in the air:

The museum is very interesting and wish I had more time to spend in there. There are a lot of display cases with artifacts from the war, old war rations, equipment, pictures, bibles, things the troops took with them as reminders of home and loved ones. There are also letters from some of those troops including some of the Germans.

If I ever go back I want to take the 2 day tour. I'm not a big history/war buff but I found it very intersting, especially because they give you personal accounts of what they went through along with the overall picture.

This was in another little town/area we stopped in, in a very old church where two men/medics helped save Americans, German troops and French civilians. They had no supplies, or very little and it was bascially a war-free zone during the time they helped anyone who needed it. An American made this stained glass window and brought it back to France to be placed in this church after he heard about their story. There's a plaque honoring the men outside the church courtyard too.

Wish I had gotten more pictures, the outside of the church, the courtyard and plaque but didn't for some reason. I guess I was listening too intently to the story.

Utah Beach, one of the U.S.'s landing beaches:

Pointe du Hoc:

Omaha Beach, kids laughing and playing on the beach, people boating, having fun. It was kinda strange when you've only seen this beach in a bloody battle with so many Americans dying on it. The guide even mentioned a story of a vet coming back here and getting angry about this, thinking it should be held as a shrine of some kind to those men who died. He later realized that the laughing kids were the reason they died.

Comment (1)