SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lazypup

The story behind the Frog

lazypup
11 years ago

I have been sitting here debating on telling you guys the story behind Frog, because once you know I am sure many of you will have a different opinion of me, and some of you may not even care to talk to me again, but such is life, the truth is the truth and I cannot change it.

First I will tell you how I come to have the Frog. Last August our refrigerator died and since both Jan & I are on a low fixed income, we didn't really have the money to run out and buy a new one. We looked for used ones but all we found was junk, then we went to the Sears scratch & dent store and found an 18cf for $500. On the way home we were discussing how we could raise the money and we passed an AARON's lease to own place. They had a brand new 24cf refrigertor that had been leased out for three months to stage a condo prior to sale and it was returned, totally unused, but since it was leased out once they had to sell it as a used machine so they said they could give us the $500 price, with zero down and delivery the next day and 12 months payments. Jan said she had $200 in the household budget but she would be all in with that. I told her to put something down, have them deliver right away and I would make the monthly payments and call it a Christmas present for her. (Now keep in mind, Jan & I have been friend for over 30 yrs but this is her house, I just rent a room). The next day we got the fridge with an unpaid bal of $279 so I decided I could pay $75 a month and have it paid off by Christmas, but in doing so, it left me a grand total of $18 a month for spending money. Needless to say, Jan & I both agreed not to worry about any Christmas presents but the day before Christmas I put a big red bow and a copy of the paid receipt on the door of the fridge with a card to Jan that said Merry Christmas.

In the mean time Jan had put up a small Xmass tree and on Christmas morning when I awoke and came through the living room there was a present under the tree. Jan handed me the present and said "I just couldn't resist this one". I sat down, took a sip from my coffee and opened the present and there he was, the frog, with the biggest smile and bright eyes i had ever seen, it sort of warmed my heart.

Jan says, "I know you have all those smaller plush frogs on your computer desk, but I was shopping in the thrift store and there he was hanging on the wall, I just couldn't resist getting him". Well, I have to tell you, it was love at first sight. I took to the frog like a 7yr old would take to a teddy bear.

And now for the rest of the story, as Paul Harvey used to say. Since I have been posting the pics of Frog someone asked me if I am a writer? To which I replied no. In fact, I am a retired Plumber although I am certified in 6 building trades, long haul truck driving, warehouse management, and formerly a professional photographer many years ago.

Now others have asked me if I am crazy? The answer to that question is "Yes", I am as crazy as an outhouse mouse and I have half a dozen head shrinks that would confirm it. Some months ago there was a discussion about Bi-polar disorder and I went into detail about what its like to live with the condition. In my case its much more complicated. In addition to having a very advanced Bi-polar condition known as Manic-Depressant, I also deal with PTSD, Acrophobia(fear of leaving the house) and Panic Disorder. Now as if that ain't enough, I also have COPD.

With the Acrophobia and Panic Disorder I very seldom leave the confines of the house. Now I don't mean days or weeks, right now I have only been out of the house 7 times since New Years and that was to go grocery shopping 5 times and to my doctor twice. As a result, I have no friend to interact with, save for you ppl here in GW. I have a daughter who lives 6 miles from here but she has not stopped by, called or sent me an email since last October and the rest of my family is 600 miles from here so my only interaction with others is to talk to Jan or the Frog, but then I like talking to Frog cause I can tell him all my secrets and he don't gossip them around the neighborhood.

Now many of you will think me rabid azz nuts to talk to the frog, but my doctor says it is a good therapy and I have fun thinking up all the things he can get into. Not only do I think them up, but I have to build the props for the photo, then shoot and process the photo so it keeps my mind off some of my other problems and it helps me maintain my sanity, or rather, whats left of it.

Comments (44)

• glenda_al
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Thank you so much for sharing!

You are a special person and really add so much to the Kitchen Table.

Appreciate having you as a KT friend!

((((lazypup, Jan, FROG))))

• janie_ga
    11 years ago

Well, I for one have loved the Frog posts even if I do not always post to them. And I have been graced with your advise on how to deal with several home repair issues.

• Related Discussions

A story behind Olympic flowers

Q

Comments (1)
    Thank you for sharing this story. It was very interesting!
    ...See More

does anyone know the story behind this antique plate?

Q

Comments (4)
    I wonder if that's supposed to be a take on the Brother's Grimm version of 'Tom Thumb'.... I did find a series of fairytale plates by Kaiser but they're more lifelike, as in a full painting on a plate. You can see examples here. The (only remotely) closest I've found so far in general appearance to yours is this, a child's plate and cup set.
    ...See More

Frog Photographing a Bee,,,,,Maybe...LOL

Q

Comments (10)
    Poor Frog is going to have a backache from being all hunched over like that. Do you have a good chiropractor in case he needs one? He probably will get a sunburn too. How and when did you get that frog? If you've said, then I missed the story behind the frog. A crocheted frog, made for me by a friend, was my room mascot when I was teaching. Froggie would sit in a different student's seat each day. He even was in our class pictures. When I retired from teaching, he went to live the rest of his life with one of my students. I hope she still has him.
    ...See More

Lazypup, Does Frog travel?

Q

Comments (14)
    If Frog can't travel do the next best thing, send flat Frog!! Take a picture of Frog and have it at the events and take pictures with it. Like flat Stanley. I could not make it on a girls group trip so they took flat Raven, I think she had more fun than the real me would have! Lol Seriously it was a lot of fun.
    ...See More
  • gadgets
    11 years ago

From what you just 'said', I can't for the life of me figure out why I would no longer want to associate with you. It's often been my opinion that we're all a little 'nutz' in one way or another. Keep the stories coming and I'll keep reading.

Shirley

• cathyid
    11 years ago

And the reason you think we are that judgemental? That all sounded like someone a little quirky, we are lucky to have as a friend. Thanks for sharing your story. It is very similar to my dh, except instead of a Green Frog, he plays with Model T's. We all know Henry would give you any color you wanted, as long as it was black!

• sheesh
    11 years ago

Thanks, lazypup. I rarely comment on the frog posts, but I never miss them. They're great!

You and Jan must be a good match. You are so clever and talented, generous with your expertise. And a damn good photog!

My good friend is bi- polar manic depressive, depressed right now, and it is hell to watch him suffer, whichever way he is. I wish you all the best.

• dees_1
    11 years ago

You're right....I do have a different opinion of you but it's a more informed opinion. At first I thought you were just a bit off; now I know you're crazy. Welcome to the crazy club! You've got lots of company....especially here. But keep in mind, we totally appreciate crazy and hold it in high esteem.

You can keep talking to Frog and telling him all your secrets as long as you keep posting Frog's adventures for us to read. Your therapy is also our therapy, even though you may not realize it.

I know I'm not a "regular" here, aside from the trivia question, but I read most of the posts. You're one of the folks I will automatically read. Keep up the good work!

Hugs and kisses to you and Jan. Flies and skeeters to Frog and Nephew!

• lazypup
    Original Author
    11 years ago

There is an old addage that says the clowns are the saddest ppl on the midway,,,but very few know how true that is.

With a severe Bi-polar condition we are either super high, elated even or we are on the border of being suicidal, no in betweens. But the real tough part is many times the outward appearance doesn't match the inner feelings. Sometimes when we appear to be funny and the life of the party, that is when we are inwardly at our lowest.

• tami_ohio
    11 years ago

Lazypup, You stop that right now! There is absolutely noting in what you just told us to make any of us think badly of you! We love you just the way you are. Don't think for one minute that you are alone in talking to "things" (read frog) for someone to talk to for stress relief! In my house, instead of sounding off to DH, my poor bunnies hear it. Luckily, they just snuggle in and ask for thier heads rubbed. Keep the Frog & Nephew posts coming. I love them and you!

Tami

• minnie_tx
    11 years ago

Well, I wouldn' be too sure about FROG not blabbing when he gets among friends. I think Frogs have some kind of ESP among themselves.

We enjoy your stories about him and nephew and think you should write a childrn's book (for adults) of the life and times of Frog. Hope he wasn't abused or had a bad time before he got to your house.And Jan is a dear for putting up with you all those years We should all be as lucky as her.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    11 years ago

I certainly appreciate you sharing this info with us and I also appreciate your honesty. I would never think poorly of you, we all have our crosses to bear and our illnesses to deal with some more than others! I have very close friends that have very similar conditions. They are able to cope fairly well with the right meds which is wonderful because when they are not well it is very hard to see and I feel so badly for them.
    I agree with your doctor that talking to frog and to us is definitely a good thing, letting out your feelings and expressing yourself is much better than holding it all in and ending up in a much worse place.

You have had a very varied experience in life and I have learned from your plumbing threads.

Keep on keeping on!

• ntt_hou
    11 years ago

So, you're a bit nutsy. You are also a very creative person. I've enjoyed your "frog" posts because I also like animation. It isn't easy to keep someone interest in your posts day after day. You got the creativity enough to keep me interest in your short story of frog's adventure.

It's normal for us to surround ourselves with things that make us happy. I have these 3 Asian goddess, Fu (god of blessings), Lu (god of prosperity), and Shou (god of Longevity). Now, I'm a Christian so I really don't believe any of the things these statues bring. I have them because they're dressed in ancient time (love the old culture), and they have the biggest and kindess smiles on them. Smiles can be contagious and these statues make me smile too.

If "frog" makes you happy, hey, nothing is wrong with that. I think you're happy with frog is perhaps because frog reminds you of how frog came to your home. Great story actually, thanks for sharing it.

• hounds_x_two
    11 years ago

Thank you for sharing your well-told story. I can understand why you do not let Frog travel unless he is with you.

I agree With Minnie- there should be a book about Frog's Adventures.
    I am impressed with your PVC Pipe Creations! There's another marketing possibility!

Important thing is, enjoy having fun with your creativity and your talents.

• minnie_tx
    11 years ago

Growing up a tadpole
    the day I found out I was green
    Getting kissed by a lot of strange girls
    The day I found my new family

My leap frog contests and medals

Just some ideas for future chapters

(whenI ws a little girl my Mom would tell me stories about a teddy bear who lived in the big woods and went to live with an old couple who made big molasses cookies. How I wish she wrote those stories down.).

• Fun2BHere
    11 years ago

Love you and love Frog. 'Nuff said.

• Jasdip
    11 years ago

Lazypup, we all love you!
    You're a great story-teller, and adventurer, with Frog in tow.
    It's no different talking to Frog than us talking to our pets. Since they can't gossip our secrets will go to their graves.

Your imagination and photography talent are endless, and you're pretty darned handy with PVC pipe too!

I thought you were out a number of times on photo shoots. Maybe they weren't as recent as I thought. Just do what it takes to make you get through the day, we don't mind, and certainly won't criticize or think negatively of you for it.

I was married to a manic-depressive, he could be the life of the party one day, then wake up in a funk the next morning, and not get out of bed for 3 days.

• summershine1
    11 years ago

I don't often reply here but I needed to let you know I so enjoy your posts. And, yes, my opinion of you has changed.
    I now realize what a wonderful man you are! I think it takes great courage to write about your medical issue. Thank you for sharing who you are. You are a pretty special guy!

• wanda_va
    11 years ago

Thank you for sharing your story with us! It makes us love you more!! And Frog is such a special guy that I can totally understand your friendship with him. Please keep his antics and stories coming--they are a classic example of what makes the KT a special place.

• fran1523
    11 years ago

You haven't hurt anybody or conned anybody. All you've done is made us chuckle. Why would we think any differently about you just because you've been honest with us. Thank goodness you have cyber friends to interact with.

• amyfiddler
    11 years ago

Authenticity is often key to increased mental functioning. I appreciate vulnerability and honesty.

• marie_ndcal
    11 years ago

Love your pictures and Frog adventures, and photos. Maybe you can put them into a book. No matter what our health is, you make us feel better with Frog.

• JennaVaNowSC
    11 years ago

LP... I don't often comment, but I always read and enjoy your posts. Love that frog! I agree with the others, you have no reason to worry about the KT thinking bad of you, you are a valuable member here.

I think it took a great deal of courage to write about your health issues, and I applaud you for it.

I look forward to ALL your posts, to me you are a wise and insightful addition to the table. Keep them coming. And I wish you the best in your daily struggles. I hope your daughter will make the effort to connect with you soon. I know firsthand how hurtful grown children can be.

• jennmonkey
    11 years ago

I love Frog's stories and your honesty! I have worked in mental health for a long time and I have this poem on my office wall that seems appropriate to share.

Two Frogs In Cream, by T.C. Hamlet

Two frogs fell into a can of cream,
    Or so I've hear it told;
    The sides of the can were shiny and steep,
    The cream was deep and cold.
    "O, whats the use?" croaked Number One
    "Tis fate; no help's around.
    Goodbye, my friends! Goodbye, sad world!"
    And weeping still, he drowned.
    But Number Two, of sterner stuff,
    dog-paddled in surprise.
    The while he wiped his creamy face,
    And dried his creamy eyes.
    "I'll swim awhile, at least", he said-
    Or so I've heard he said;
    "It really wouldn't help the world,
    If one more frog were dead".
    An hour or two he kicked and swam,
    Not once he stopped to mutter,
    But kicked and kicked, and swam and kicked,
    Then hopped out...
    Via Butter!

• patti43
    11 years ago

Aw, Frog's a rescue frog! So glad Jan found him and brought him home for you. He sure has made my day happy more than once.

You really are a talented writer and may want to consider writing a book. You have plenty of material to work from and a great style of writing.

I wish you more happy days than sad days and send you (((lazypup))). I guess you can tell from all these posts that we love you a lot!!!

• Georgysmom
    11 years ago

My mother was manic-depressive and I now believe she suffered from agoraphobia, too. She never wanted to go out of the house and was overwhelmed by meeting new people. We didn't have a name for it back in the day. It was tough on the family because as you said, she seemed so normal otherwise. One doesn't know what another person is suffering inside. I loved your frog story. What a Christmas morning that must have been. Jan sounds like a wonderful person, too. I have Georgy to tell my secrets to and she cheers me up every day. Thank God for Frog and thank YOU for sharing!

• User
    11 years ago

That was a great story Lazypup, I liked it and your frog. Do what you gotta do to keep your mind in good shape. None of us here think less of you at all.

I would like to ask if you would mind me posting this thread at the KTGP, for safe keeping. In case anyone wants to know about frog it will be there. I won't post it unless I hear from you. Keep up the photos they are fun!

• nanny98
    11 years ago

What an inspiration you are to all of us and a joy to share your stories (and you life, now!) It is just wonderful that you have found such a super way to cope with your ailment. We should all be so lucky to have such an imagination and ability to write. I enjoy your posts so very much....don't go away, just keep them coming.

• beausrose
    11 years ago

I always read your Frog stories and smile about his adventures. Hope all the smiles that you give us so freely come right back to you.

Your creative ways with the pics and comments sure brighten my day. Thanks for sharing your story too.

• lisa_fla
    11 years ago

I loved hearing the story about the Frog. I've seen him here and there, but now I will look for him!! Glad you felt comfortable enough to share your condition. So sorry you are suffering from all of this! Frog reminds me of Flat Stanley or Nectarine. Is Nectarine's site still somewhere??? She was a KT mascot that was mailed from KTer to KTer and went all over the world. People posted photos and stories about her visits. She even stopped by here when Renee had her. She had tea and drove around the Barbie jeep. Wow-that was a LONG time ago-my kids are teens!

• foggyj
    11 years ago

Thanks for sharing your story. I knew you were a very interesting person. You have us all hooked on you, and Frogs, adventures now. No better place than the KT to write and show your creativity. Thanks for doing so.

• mojomom
    11 years ago

Thanks for brightening our days with frog. I don't comment much, but frog posts are always among the first I open and they never fail to bring a smile. Take care of yourself and be sure to tell frog about his fan club on gw.

• blfenton
    11 years ago

Thanks for sharing. and I too love the stories and pictures of Frog. Has my opinion of you changed? - not in the least. In fact I'm proud to call you a cyber-friend (if that's ok). We all have situations either within our selves or our own families.

My brother was schizophrenic (unfortunately he died at 44 of a brain anuerysm) and he dealt with this with dignity and strength everyday. I was proud to call him my brother.

• drewsmaga
    11 years ago

Frog RULES! And so does lazypup! Blessings to Jan for helping you bring us your insight on many issues and putting up with Frog. I am always so amused when I read the posts about Frog.

• eileen101
    11 years ago

We're all lucky to have you as our friend!
    Eileen

• jemdandy
    11 years ago

I have suspected that Frog was more than an idle toy. Your doctor is correct: The creation of Frog's character is very theraputic. Underneath your facade of various maladies denoted by a bunch of initials, lies a genius, well maybe not super smart in physics, but a genius of creative talent that many of us are in short supply. Your task, if you accept it, is to develop this skill. [This message will self destruct 5 minutes after you read it.]

I see in Frog a new way to create cartoons. Instead of drawing the cartoon, photograph real objects and turn those into cartoons. Your Frog could become nationally known and a source of income for you. At the same time, Frog could deal with many of life's maladies in a rough humorous way. In fact, he could be your daydreams; you don't have to tell anyone Frog's source. I see Frog dealing with everyday events with a bit of distorted view in the same vein as Garry Larson's "Far Side" cartoons. It helps that you are a good writer as well.

Look at "Dilbert" cartoons about an engineer's life. Dilbert was first created to liven up dry pesentations of charts and graphs. It was way to keep the audience from going to sleep and, at the same time, rib management. The creator realized that he could not come up with a cartoon every week, but he had an idea. Many of his aquaintences were throwing ideas to him as a way to chide their bosses. He agreed to try supplying cartoons on a regular basis if the newspapers would permit him to post an email address on the strip. Once this was done, a flood of ideas came in weekly and Dilbert was assured of ongoing material. Dilbert is really written by his readers. The author merely formats the strip. He quit his day job and became independently wealthy.

Frog could do the same - just read the comments others make as they try to figure out what Frog might do next, or what sort of problem ne may solve or become immersed in.

I suggest thaa you save Frog panels in digital format and print those out to build a portfolio. It matters little whether or not you make a pile of money with Frog, what matters is that you leave a visual record such that in the future when a stanger discovers your trove and reads it for the first time, he'll say, "What a fun guy. I wish I had known him."

This brings me to another thought. Mind you, this in no way is intended to detract from the foregoing statments. When I read over your well crafted post, the thought occured to me that the personality described therein could be an alter ego, not your true self. If so, you have "pulled the wool" over my eyes big time. If this is the case, what a jokester rascal and I laugh to think about the possibility. On the other hand, if all is true, I admire you for your struggle to hang onto a bit of sanity and try to make some sense out of this muddled world. Whatever the case, keep pluging away:

We want to see more Frog!!!

• gazania_gw
    11 years ago

Lazypup, your 'confessions' sound very familiar . My lovely daughter's life with Manic Depressive Disorder would read much the same as yours. Sometime ago in one of your posts, you confessed your issues with with Bipolar. I had already recognized some of the signs. My daughter also had her 'frog' and she was very talented in many things, as you are. Her "good days" were very, very good. Her bad days...well you know how it is. She also had rheumatoid arthritis so her emotional pain was accompanied by much physical pain, but she did the best she could to live the good life...as you are doing.

Lazypup keep posting frog stories, keep entertaining us here at the table. When you need uplifting come here for the boost you need. There are many here besides me that know and understand the struggles you meet each day.

• jannie
    11 years ago

Thanks for sharing the tales of Lazypup and Frog.

• OklaMoni
    11 years ago

I always read the frog stories... ever since I first realized, how funny they were.

Please, keep it up. You got a lot of us hooked. :)

And, by the way, that was quite courages to post your story.

Moni

• lindaohnowga
    11 years ago

Lazypup, a big thank you for sharing your life's story and how Frog came into your life. If anyone thinks you are crazy, that's great, because there are many of us who are. Do you think maybe us both being former Ohioans has anything to do with it? LOL We too have a stuffed animal who is sooooo much a part of our lives, just like a child would be. I will share with you how Taury came into our lives. We've always had a stuffed animal mascot in every car and truck we have owned. When we were still in Ohio we bought a Ford Taurus wagon and since Taurus is the sign of the bull, we needed a bull mascot. At a flea market I found this little bull who was teddy bear sized. He was too cute to leave out in the car, so he would always be brought into the house with us. He went to all craft shows and car shows with us. In time I decided I wanted him to be toddler size so I oould dress him in real little kids clothes, so off to the fabric store I went, found furry material in as close a match as I could find, and made him a new body, legs and arms, then stuffed him into this new body. To this day he goes everywhere we go. He has been in the hospital with me many times, rode in the ambulance bringing me home. The nurses and doctors all loved him. To hold him close brings me comfort if I am upset. He will be cremated with me when the time comes. Meet Taury...bulls are nearsited, so he wears glasses.

Please keep posting your Frog stories and pictures. Sending you hugs and love, and the same for Jan.

• littlebit_gw
    11 years ago

Thank you for sharing your story and also Frog with us. He makes me smile every time I see his adventures here. My grandmother loved frogs and every time I log on and see a new post, it makes me smile and feel good all over We lost her in So a heartfelt Thanks for those special moments you give me.

• sjerin
    11 years ago

Lazypup, you had me holding me breath as I read, wondering what terrible thing you had done...How I smiled as I reached the end and realized you were simply telling us about your maladies and the origins of Frog and his delightful stories. I'm thinking you must not realize how many people suffer as you do, and how many more people than that have shades of your conditions--many millions. I add my voice to the others telling you that you are very talented and intelligent! I am guessing that the idea of writing a book might be a bit daunting, but perhaps you can simply start writing stories and just save them for awhile. On a good day, perhaps you might start googling publishing information, if you are a little intrigued. I very much appreciate your honesty and forthright-ness (not a real word!) and I would imagine you have helped many people who are reading your post feel better about themselves. I also appreciate the advice you've given in the plumbing forum--you are so generous with yourself and I thank you for that!! I am glad you have a good friend in both Jan and in Frog. And in ALL of us!

• petaloid
    11 years ago

You were brave to share that.

Please, don't worry. You have friends here.

• maddie_in_ky
    11 years ago

Exactly what Summershine said-- :)

I think your stories are awesome!

• lindaohnowga
    11 years ago

Up for Lazypup.

• joan_mn
    11 years ago

So glad I read this. Good luck to you, Lazypup, and Jan, too. You found a treasure there, for sure.
    I enjoy reading Frog's adventures, and more so now!