SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joann23456

How does someone prone to medication overuse deal with real pain?

joann23456
14 years ago

I'm wondering whether some of you might have experience with this that could help me. I am worried about my sister, who lives with me.

She has serious psychological problems, numerous suicide attempts, and lots of psych admissions. She also has a history of misusing prescribed medication to zone out. She goes on what would be called binges if she were using alcohol, spending several days at a time in a drugged state, then going some time (sometimes months) between binges.

I've talked to her about this, without success, many times before, but it came to a head last week. She was in a stupor all week, and I was panicked, thinking she might have had a stroke. I got her into the hospital, and they ruled out stroke, and after days of denying that she'd used anything, she finally admitted to using extra doses of opiate pain meds, among other things.

The problem is, she's in real pain. She had a long list of verifiable physical problems, any of which could be enough to warrant narcotic pain meds. She is also in the medical field, and knows all the research that shows that the risk of addiction to narcotic pain meds is actually very low. (It's something like 3% of people who use narcotic pain meds for chronic pain who become addicted.)

So, she convinces herself that since she's in real pain and needs the pain meds and the risk of addiction is low, she's not addicted. And there are times when she uses pain meds responsibly, taking one at a time, to allow her to function. It's just that there are other times when she takes five at a time, and adds some other meds for good measure.

I hate to see her in pain, but I don't think she's able to control herself. When she's depressed, which is often, she's prone to grabbing a handful of pills. She's told me many times that she often doesn't even know what she's taken.

Just wondering whether any of you have any experience with this. I understand that prescription pain medication isn't something to be afraid of, it's a tool. It's just one that doesn't seem to work well for her, but I don't know what she should do instead. (She's tried all sorts of alternative treatments (acupuncture, massage, acupressure, chiropractic, etc.), without success.)

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor