SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nicole_ont

Lost my father in law last week

nicole_ont
14 years ago

Claude's family lives in Sudbury - about 4 hours north of us. Claude had booked 2 weeks off so that we could go up for a visit starting on June 20. It had been a year since we were up there. Claude was talking to his dad (Gerry) on the phone a few days before we went and he said he had been having stomach pains, and the doctor had sent him for labwork. By the time we got there Claude's dad had the results of his bloodwork and it was abnormal (not sure what exactly - we looked at it and a few things were off but it didn't mean much to us). They sent him for an abdominal ultrasound and more bloodwork a couple of days after we got there and told him he had cancer in his liver and stomach. Over the next few days they did a bunch of tests and scans and found cancer in his lymph nodes, lungs and on his brain as well. The Oncologist gave him 3-5 months. We left there to come home on Sunday, July 5, promising to go back for the long weekend in August. By that point his skin was very yellow, and even the whites of his eyes. It was killing Claude to leave his dad behind, knowing he didn't have much time left.

Just 2 days later - last Tuesday morning, Claude's sister called here to say that their dad's mind had "gone", and after checking him out, the doctor said it was probably a matter of days before he died. He wasn't recognizing family, he didn't know his favourite show, he was hearing noises that weren't there, he was trying to put a blanket on as pants.... So Claude left work and we packed up the van as quickly as we could. By the time we got to the hospital in Sudbury, he was unconscious and on some pretty strong pain medication. We stayed there throughout the night (kids sleeping on hospital couches) and his breaths gradually got shallower and further apart. At around 8:00 last Wednesday morning, his breathing just stopped. He had just turned 68.

They had a lovely private memorial service for him on Friday (he was to be cremated later - probably has been by now). Just Gerry's brothers and sisters (17 of them remaining - he was number 4 of 20!!) and their families, his kids and grandkids. Claude and his sister had put together a wonderful dvd of pictures and songs and gave everyone a copy.

We came back home on Sunday and Claude went back to work on Tuesday. It has been a whirlwind few weeks and the reality of it all is just starting to sink in now. It was all so fast. I never really realized how many details there are to think of and take care of after a family member dies. Claude and his dad were very close. Claude is doing okay - not ready to go back to work really, but has no more days left that he can take off.

Here's a picture of my father-in-law, Gerry with my boy Benjamin taken a couple of years ago....

Comments (49)