SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
girlsingardens

Prayers and thoughts needed for DH ( sorry long story)

girlsingardens
15 years ago

It has really been a long week. On Tuesday DH was complainging of not feeling well, vomited and was nauteous. I called the Dr. and she said to give him some zantac and pepto bismol and see if it helped in an hour. It only got worse, and he was in a lot of pain, and this is someone who has a very high pain tollerence. So off we went to the er with a 5,3 and 1 year old ( sound like fun) after I knew that we were going to be waiting for cat scans and stuff I took them to a friends house. The scan showed up that he had gall stones, an umbilical hernia with some small intestines sticking out, inflamed bowels and a blood sugar of 320. The sent us home with pain meds and told us to go and see the surgeon next week.

Wednesday I decided that I was't going to make DH wait another week so I called our Dr.'s office and they were able to get us in that day. So I called MIL since Dh was told not to lift anything over 5 pounds and the girls are always hanging on him (our 2 monkeys) So I drove an hour and dropped them off. We went to the surgeon and took Hayden with us and the diagnosis was that he thought with the inflamation of the intestines that it was something like Crone's disease. His approach was to wait a week and repeat tests and cat scans and see what was found. He didn't feel the hernia could cause the problems nor the gall stones. So off we drive home after an hour drive there and back.

Thursday morning I went downstairs and DH was pretty much out of it and in a lot of pain. He was confused, couldn't stay awake and had tingling in his feet. I called our Dr. and she moved my ob appointment up and wanted to see DH. Good news for me I gained 8 pounds and the baby looks great, has long legs and still is shy:) She sent us up to the hospital to have DH admitted to try and control pain and to figure out what was going on.

When we got to the hospital his first blood sugar was 420. They were able to get his blood sugar stablilzed with insulin and found out he is now diabetic. Also able to control the pain. Dr. thinks that the gall stone flair up and intestinal and hernia irritation brought on the diabetes. He is type two and will test 4 times a day and they put him on antibiotics for his intestines in iv and sent us home with a week's supply. He is also under medication for diabetes. The hope is that with diet control and medication we can keep things under control. In the midst of being in the hospital, I ran Hayden to the neighbors at home and my sister came and got him and kept him over night and yesterday.

Ohhhh to add to all this I am hosting our 15th class reunion at my folks house and am scrambling to get all the food ready. So if you could send some good thoughts and prayers our way we would really appreciate it. It is going to be a long few months. They won't even look at the gall stones, intestines or hernia until the diabetes is under control.

Stacie

girlsingardens

Comments (32)

• gazania_gw
    15 years ago

Stacie, good grief, what a week you have had, and poor DH!. You and he have all the good thoughts I can muster up coming your way.

• alisande
    15 years ago

I add mine to Gazanias. Hope the situation improves quickly. Is it possible the diabetes will go away once the gallstone/intestinal issue has resolved?

• Related Discussions

Need More Prayers for my DH

Q

Comments (50)
    How very dreadful, Linda :-( I am so sad for you that your beloved doggies have gone on ahead to the Rainbow Bridge, but this is even worse news. I will send my very strongest good thoughts for your husband's recovery.
    ...See More

I need your good thoughts and prayers

Q

Comments (126)
    The best news,just as we all hoped! Dexascan is a piece of cake - I used to do them when I worked in the Rheumatology office. Bone-building drugs may be prescribed, but they work slowly, so 6 weeks one way or the other won't make a huge difference. There are lots of reasons you can have osteopenia or osteoporosis - drug therapies, both chemo and steroids, being too thin (being under 127 pounds is a marker for risk), family history, early menopause, low calcium and Vitamin D, and the list goes on. For now, take care of yourself, be a good girl and do what the docs tell you to do. We'll all be here, thinking of you and cheering you on until those crutches are tucked away in the closet.
    ...See More

Needing Prayers (Long-Sorry)

Q

Comments (30)
    Jannie, you and DH both have my prayers being sent up for you. One of my bestest buddies' hubby had MS, I know only too well the pain and anguish that both you and your darling man are going thru. I so loved Ron, MS is a horribly debilitating disease, I'm keeping you both close to my heart.
    ...See More

Thoughts & Prayers Needed (Again)

Q

Comments (50)
    So sorry to hear you have another cross to bear. Warm & caring thoughts to you Bump and to your DH...Hang in there-hope it's not even a 'hill' but instead.. just a 'knoll'.
    ...See More
  • ont_gal
    15 years ago

Oh dear God Stacie....special thoughts and prayers for your hubby...hugs...Rhonda

• molly109
    15 years ago

Oh my - what a terrible day for you and him. What
    a run around you got. I am so sorry.

Prayers and good thoughts.

• phyllis__mn
    15 years ago

Oh, my, what a plateful you have....sending wishes for a good outcome from all of this,including the reunion!

• sharon_fl
    15 years ago

I can't imagine the stress level you've been under through all of this Hang in there and stay positive! We women are a strong bunch you know-we were built to handle the strife in life..and tho all you have to get ready for your reunion, may seem daunting right now...enjoy the time and have fun!

• teresava
    15 years ago

My goodness-you and DH have a lot going on! Please try and take it easy-I know I was exhausted just being pregnant. I'm glad you have family and friends to help watch your little ones!

My mom was diagnosed with Diabetes last year and she has been able to keep it under control very quickly with just diet/exercise and some meds. She didn't have to make that many changes in her diet-Ask for a diabetes counselor or nutritionist (it will be covered by insurance b/c of the diabetes).

My MIL has Crohns disease. Her case may be mild, but if she watches her diet (she even cheats a bunch) and takes her meds, she is usually fine, only has occasional flare-ups.

Good luck-hoping you are all feeling better asap!!

• lindaohnowga
    15 years ago

I replied to your post at Crafting Heaven. Keeping your hubby in my prayers.

• grammahony
    15 years ago

Lots of prayers and good thoughts for your DH and you Stacie.
    Are there any classmates helping you? Maybe you could delegate some of the work to them. You've already got a hand full with 3 little ones. Now a sick husband too. I hope he's feeling better with the meds, and they can't fix the other problems soon.
    Leslie

• good36
    15 years ago

Oh my gosh Stacie,You sure have your hands full! Best wishes to your and your hubby.

• patti43
    15 years ago

Holy cow, you sure have a plateful. It was bad enough until you mentioned the class reunion! Hope this is all behind you soon (and hope MIL and Sis can keep the children a day or two longer). Take care of yourself and know many good thoughts and prayers are coming your way.

• nodakgal
    15 years ago

Sending my best thoughts for you all!!!!

• lydia1959
    15 years ago

That is a lot to deal with!! Sending good thoughts your family's way!!

• Kathsgrdn
    15 years ago

Prayers and good thoughts for your DH. I hope he gets to feeling better soon.

• gramzeeinmd
    15 years ago

Darn Stacie
    You really got your hands full, I wish I was clsoer I would be right there for you and your family.
    Take one day at a time and try to relax some, meanwhile I am sending some thoughts and prayers your way.
    Deb

• kathi_mdgd
    15 years ago

Good thoughts and prayers for ALL of you.Hang in there,as they say,"this too shall pass"
    Kathi

• grittymitts
    15 years ago

Whew...what a load!

Prayers going up from here for you & yours & will keep lifting 'em up until all is back on keel at your house.
    Know you've heard the saying, Women are like Tea Bags- put 'em in hot water & they just get stronger."
    Bless you darlin'

Suzi

• kayjones
    15 years ago

You are indeed a busy family - I am sending best wishes to all of you.

• paula_pa
    15 years ago

I know this might sound funny, but that sounds a lot like something my late cat went through (no, that isn't what made him my 'late' cat). It was hard to tell what the chain of events was but in the end we decided it was pancreatitis and the diabetes was transient. When he got better, the diabetes went away. Lots of illnesses can raise blood sugar quite high.

I hope your DH recovers quickly and completely.

• monica_pa Grieves
    15 years ago

Prayers and thoughts for DH and yourself.
    Watch that diabetes diagnosis...when it's like you described, it's probably just a reaction to the main illness, and not a permanent condition.

• gneegirl
    15 years ago

Hey there, Stacie,

What a time you have been having. Between my sister and myself, we share what you and your hubby are going through - having hernia, diabetes and Crohne's. It is surprising how one disease can cause another or how our body reacts to it, to cause another. I can tell you, if the diabetes is under control, hubby will feel a thousand times better. As others have said, diet and exercise are critical - even though sometimes major changes aren't even necessary. I have found though that some antibiotics will raise my BS levels significantly, so you may see some of that, until he is off them. A nutritionist can be very helpful.

I won't go into a lot more of the theories and stuff here, because I know there is a lot to digest right now. I will just say that I'm sending hugs and prayers that things will settle down some and that hubby is feeling much better soon.

Best Wishes,

gneegirl

• lynne_melb
    15 years ago

Keeping him and your entire family in our thoughts and prayers

• des_arc_ya_ya
    15 years ago

((Stacie and family)) I'm sorry that all of you are having such a stressful time right now. Good, healing thoughts being sent out to you and yours....

• liz
    15 years ago

GEESH STACIE!! I'm worn out from reading your post!! Please take care of you and I hope things calm down for all of you...Healing thoughts to your hubster...Keep us posted!

• FlamingO in AR
    15 years ago

Oh, my goodness, you have a full plate, Stacie. I hope things settle down for you all and that DH feels a lot better really soon. You poor things! Delegate, kiddo, hand off as much as you can to others, PLEASE ask your friends and family for a lot of help, you shouldn't be dealing with all this right now.

(((((Stacie and family)))))

• heatherinohio
    15 years ago

Wow, that is a whole lot to have thrown at you so fast. :( I am very sorry for you and your DH. You have a rough road ahead of you. Sending lots of special thoughts that you get through this and DH is better ASAP. (((((Hugs to all)))))

• donna37
    15 years ago
  • jannie
    15 years ago

So sorry things are so crazy for you. Settle down, take one thing at a time and it will be allright. Focus on one thing at ae.

• joyfulguy
    15 years ago

What a stressfl time, with not only all of that load to carry, but all of the planning and running, as well.

I hope that they can get him stabilized soon and that things work out well.

(((((Stacie and husband ... plus family))))).

Sending good thoughts, hopes and prayers.

ole joyful

• sueque67
    15 years ago

Prayers for you, your DH and your whole family. Hoping everything goes well for your DH.
    Susan

• vicki_lv_nv
    15 years ago

(((Stacie & Family))) You sure have a full plate going. I hope they get your DH straightened out quickly.

• girlsingardens
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for all the thoughts and prayers. Well it is Sunday and we got through the reunion all right. Actually it went great. We had 12 classmates out of 42 show up and 25 little kids. My folks rushed home and were there late Friday night and the girls stayed at my sisters that night. My folks put up 2 pools and also got one of those giant little tykes water slides that inflate. People showed up around 1:30 and stayed until after 8. We all had so much fun, 2 of my sisters came over and helped out with the kids, they had fun on the water slide and pools, my dad got one of the horses out and they had pony rides, he also had his full sized popcorn maker going and they ate tons of popcorn and we also had popsicles and watermelon to cool off. I made too much food as usual and my mil made several salads, we just grilled out hotdogs and had a lot of fun. Those that wanted to had brought beer so we just sat around talking about the high school days and comaparing current notes. I can tell you it was a blast and took my mind off dh. He did come down and had fun too.

We go see the surgeon on Tuesday and see what he has to say. I think he is planning on doing more tests and another CT scan. They got his pain under control. They think that it was a combo of the gall stones and they discovered an infection in his intestinal area so put him on iv antibiotics. His blood sugar has really dropped since Friday and we are working on getting it under control. The Dr. thinks that the gall stones and infection brought out the diabetes. She is positive about it and that with diet, exercise, cutting out sugar and oral meds that we can get things under control. They won't do anything about the gallsones and hernia until the diabetes is under control. All in all it really has been a long week but in a way I am glad that it happened. DH hasn't had a physical in 11 years and is overweight. While there I asked Dr. to do a full work up on him and am curious to see what his cholestoral is. The hardest thing is that he really isn't a fruit or veggie person. I am sure you know that between the kids and I most of our diet is veggies and fruits and meat is a side dish. Right now his blood sugar has been staying around 180 which is in the high range of what the diabetes consultant wants but is way better than what it was before.

Now to try and catch up on my sleep, we are also in the processes of moving the girls and Hayden down stairs and had carpet put down on Friday so the house has stuff every where. My mom is going to come up on Tuesday and stay a couple of days to help me catch up. With me being pregnant and Dan's hernia the furniture moving will have to wait until we get some family to come up and help move things around our 2 story house.

Again thanks for the support and love,

Stacie
    girlsingardens