SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
indy_anna

Need input about our cat sitter

Indy_Anna
14 years ago

We just got back from an 8 day vacation. I asked our babysitter (16 years old) if she would come to our house every other day to check on the cat and plants. She came over before we left, and I showed her where the cat's food and water was, asked her to make sure the cat had food and petting, and other things around the house. I left her a reminder list in the kitchen which included our phone numbers along with both of our parents' numbers.

We got back yesterday. I could tell she had been here because the list had been moved, the trash cans brought in, and the hermit crabs had food. However, the cat's food bowl and water bowls were empty, and the cat had chewed its way into the bag of food left next to its bowl. My first thought was to find the cat an make sure it was still alive. She was, and was very happy to see us.

I'm very concerned that the cat was without food, and she didn't call us. Ultimately, I'm concerned that she's our babysitter who I trust with my children.

How should I handle this?

My plan is to call her, and let her know we're back. Ask if she was able to come as planned, and if everything was okay. I think she'll respond A)everything was fine or B)I couldn't find food, etc.

I'm not sure how to go from there. If she says everything was fine, I'm considering talking to her parents. If she admits that she couldn't come for some reason, I'll advise her that she should have called me so I could have someone else come.

I'm very upset by this, and would like to have a plan for talking to her.

I'm also not sure how to do payment for this. She was supposed to come 4 times, and I was planning on paying her about $25. But, since the cat went without food, I don't think she did her job.

I also don't want to reem her out, because she lives just a few doors down from us, and we all still have to live here. I'm also frustrated because I lost what I thought was a really good babysitter. I'm not sure I can have her back if she couldn't handle this kind of situation without giving us a call.

What do you think I should do?

Comments (28)